Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Zeke...PA

Default 37 Rear window seal

I see where some recommend using cable pull lubricant on installing the rear window seal using rope. I went on McMaster site and their lube says good for everything but composite rubber. Whoa! I tried to use my old rubber seal with new glass and it ripped up using soapy water and 3/16" nylon rope, I think it was dried up. I have ordered new from Drake and want it to go easier. Is there another wire pull lube that is OK to use, Lowes says safe to use on all jackets. Anyone done it this way ? Thanks Zeke
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
37 Coupe

Default Re: 37 Rear window seal

It is best to have an inside person and an outside person to install the rear window glass and seal. I used the Drake seal also as the Caprenter seal was oversize and I was lucky to have an old Ford guy/window glass installer help me. He used silicone spray on the rubber and the rope was like a kids jump rope diameter,much bigger than I had planned on like twine size diameter.It must have taken him all of 5 minutes for both pieces. I was the one inside putting force on the glass.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
DICK SPADARO

You will find it easier to use dish washing detergent as a lubricant, you can use it straight out of the bottle or to slow the evaporation, just mix some detergent with a very small amount of water so its a light slime consistency does the job and cleans up easily. You can use the cord method or a thin plastic flexible paddle to spread the seal. 37 coupe gives good advice as to having a helper when doing the job. Silicone sprays or WD 40 run the risk of staining the interior.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
cmbrucew

You can do it yourself with an innertube on the inside to keep pressure on the glass.
I sometimes have a problem saying exactly what I want my wife to do, so I often have to come up with a way to do it myself. X2 on the dish soap. I used 1/8 inch woven nylon cord.

Bruce

Works good
Last long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
8CM

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hey dont use too small of a string, if using new rubbers no lube nesscesary.. you can alson use a hook tool to pull the rubber over dont push too hard untill its all started
8CM is offline   Reply With Quote