Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Default Which radiator (Bergs or Brassworks)?

A friend has a leaky radiator in his 29 pickup (not a show car). His local radiator shop could not find a replacement core, so he is planning on buying a new radiator.

He's thinking of getting one from Macs, but I heard that Bergs (Illinois) or Brassworks (California) might be the best place to buy one.

My friend lives here in Southern Calif and shipping might be cheaper from Brassworks.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards, Neil
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Which radiator (Bergs or Brassworks)?

Berg's is best.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
springerpete

I have a Berg's in my 25 T and a Brassworks in my 29 A. Both are good products. I have had no trouble with either one. Both are what you can get from all suppliers as I don't think the suppliers make their own. I have one of each because that is what Lang's and Tam's had in stock.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
Pete / MA

I put in a Bergs this summer and I'm very happy with it. Excellent workmanship, performance and fit.
I bought it directly from Bergs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0606.JPG (37.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0609.JPG (56.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0612.JPG (34.8 KB, 67 views)
Pete / MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

bergs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.5 KB, 60 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
I have a Berg's in my 25 T and a Brassworks in my 29 A. Both are good products. I have had no trouble with either one. Both are what you can get from all suppliers as I don't think the suppliers make their own. I have one of each because that is what Lang's and Tam's had in stock.

Actually, that is a little bit misleading. Berg's manufactures radiators for the Model-A, -as does Brassworks. There is also a 3rd manufacturer that many suppliers carry by the name of Independent Radiator up in Illinois. They are, IMO, the lower end of the scale as far as quality but they do fit a niche market and a lot are sold.

Up until about a year ago, I would have concurred with Tom's thoughts regarding Bergs but I think the margin has narrowed substantially. My personal feeling is Lee at Brassworks has stepped back and addressed some Q/C issues that were plaguing his product from several years ago. I will agree that he took some pretty hard "hits" regarding public opinion that he still needs to overcome but IMO his product is worth a 2nd look.

Neil, my thoughts are you should call both Gery at Bergs, and Lee at Brassworks to talk with each of them personally if you are desiring to buy direct. Also understand that many people that have 1928 & '29 Fords have opted to use the Vintique radiator shell on their restored vehicle. If that is what you have, then both manufacturers you mentioned will quickly tell you that those off-shore manufactured shells do not fit their radiators very well. If you are desiring a near-perfect fit of your shell to the new radiator, I would suggest you tell either supplier of your concerns, and then ship your shell to them to have your shell fitted during the radiator manufacturing process. This many be more work than you want to go through but it is an option.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete / MA View Post
I put in a Bergs this summer and I'm very happy with it. Excellent workmanship, performance and fit.
Pete, could you post a picture of the neck of your radiator with the cap on? I have heard, and Gery admits, that the neck is a little too tall and allows threads to show when the cap is on. (Gery said he is looking into correcting that, by the way. Good man to deal with. But I'd like to see how serious the discrepancy is, if in fact there is one.)

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
jrapose

Hi Neil
I have several Brassworks radiators and they are real quality, plus they are close to us..
San Luis Obispo
I have never seen a Bergs but from what all say it is a good one too...both high quality...
I worked on a car last week in my shop and I don't have a clue where the person got his cheepo radiator but it sure is not the quality you want....probably from some discount mail order supplier ..
Yer Friend
Joel
jrapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
sethkestenbaum

Neil,

I have a Bergs on my 29 that I recently installed after doing considerable research into the options. I "reviewed" the pros and cons on Fordbarn not that long ago. Mechanically, the Berg radiator seems to work great and in this respect I am thrilled. Cosmetically, on the 29s from Bergs the finish on the tube that goes from the top tank to the engine may require some "home improvement" to remove what I was told was natural pitting (basically, if your top tube has some natural pitting that you don't like, you may want to fill in some pits with epoxy and then spray the tube black to make it look GREAT). I was assured from Gery that this was just cosmetic.

If your friend does get a new radiator (or just a core) I would also recommend picking up a "Gano filter" to keep the new radiator clean.

-Seth
Old 10-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
larrys40

I mirror Brent's comments above in post #6 . I haven't had any recent dealings with Brassworks but have with Gery @ Bergs, know him and deal with him as he is fairly close to me... and services me well. It always pays to weight the options of quality, cost, fit, etc. I always recommend taking your radiator shell in whenever you have your radiator serviced to ensure fit ( and fix a poor fitting one) and to ensure fit to a new radiator. Usually Gery's do fit well but sometimes the upper neck is a shade too tall. The repro shells don't help.

As Brent indicated, Independent Radiator has been making them for many years, and would be the last choice in my book. if you order from a supplier inquire where it is from and warranty.

I might add one thing.. if you're having any work done to a radiator make sure it has a good baffle in it that runs across the top ( not a simple U 2 inches wide) .
Overheating is suspect at times when water is pushed up through the cap when many times the baffle and flow are the issue.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete / MA View Post
this is off-topic but in looking at your middle pic, do I detect a slight offset between the top tank outlet and your cylinder head top outlet? I'm not being critical, I have had this situation myself and it is very puzzling as to what causes this slight misalignment.....
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote