Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Russ/40

Default Painting etiquette

Regarding the materials used, specifically polyester primer surfacer, and epoxy primer sealer, what is the proper order of use? Is it proper to start with a coat of epoxy primer sealer/surfacer, Work that material some, and progress to the polyester for greater build, then finish with the epoxy sealer, prior to finish coat? I am using TCP Global's "Kustome" series of finishes. I really like the epoxy, and it does build well if not reduced, but for time sake I have been going to the polyester for minor leveling. I am planning on relying on mechanical and not chemical bond for finish coat, as by the time I have finished body work I am way past the ideal recoat window. What say the experts.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Painting etiquette

Some use a base of epoxy primer prior to body work and some don't. Sandable primer is used to coat over bodywork to block & level things out. The sealer coat goes on after the primer surfacer and before the paint.

The fun part is all the block sanding it takes to get a nice smooth defect free surface for the paint to lay down on. Those that spare the tedious work don't get the quality result for sure.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
wga

http://www.paintucation.com/
Old 04-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Dave72dt

Get and follow the directions on the tech sheets for the products. Companies can vary somewhat in their recommendations. The companies have invested a lot of time in research to provide the best application methods for their products to help ensure a successful paint job.
Dave72dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Some use a base of epoxy primer prior to body work and some don't. Sandable primer is used to coat over bodywork to block & level things out. The sealer coat goes on after the primer surfacer and before the paint.

The fun part is all the block sanding it takes to get a nice smooth defect free surface for the paint to lay down on. Those that spare the tedious work don't get the quality result for sure.
Back when I worked in body shops (1970's) we never put the filler on over anything but bare metal. Now it is recommened to use epoxy primer as a first coat prior to using body filler for a moisture barrier. Use of a good sandable hi-build primer after the body work. Then the aforementioned block sanding.
As rotorwrench stated finish it off with a good sealer coat. Then shoot your color.
I never had a failure based on the time window given by the manufacturer in regards to primers. Time window is more important in regards to base coat/clear coat if you are going that way.
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
john worden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Regarding the materials used, specifically polyester primer surfacer, and epoxy primer sealer, what is the proper order of use? Is it proper to start with a coat of epoxy primer sealer/surfacer, Work that material some, and progress to the polyester for greater build, then finish with the epoxy sealer, prior to finish coat? I am using TCP Global's "Kustome" series of finishes. I really like the epoxy, and it does build well if not reduced, but for time sake I have been going to the polyester for minor leveling. I am planning on relying on mechanical and not chemical bond for finish coat, as by the time I have finished body work I am way past the ideal recoat window. What say the experts.
You have had good advice so far on this thread. My only concern is your planned use of POLYESTER primer surfacer over epoxy primer.
That product is a sprayable plastic filler and the directions emphasize that it requires TOOTH (as in 16 grit scratches in bare metal) to adhere to. I apply plastic filler over epoxy primer with a spreader all the time and highly recommend the procedure but it does not require TOOTH.
I recommend a high quality urethane primer filler used at no more than recommended thickness instead.
It goes without saying that the first order of business is to have the panel close enough to finish contour that excessive thickness of any products will not be required.

Last edited by john worden; 04-25-2014 at 07:29 AM. Reason: 16 grit rather than 24-36
john worden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:53 AM   #7
Russ/40

Thanks for your input. I checked my product sheets on the polyester primer surfacer, and it calls for 220 grit surface prep. I have been cutting the epoxy with 100 grit prior to using the polyester so I should be fine.

Thank you all for your opinions.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote