Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
PhoenixFear

Default 1933 Ford title

Does anyone have a picture of, or know exactly what goes on a title for a 1933? I haven't had much luck finding pictures in Google of title examples. I'm getting ready to hopefully get a title for the 1933 pickup and would like it to be "correct" instead of "blank" if possible. Should the title read 1933 pickup, or 1933 model 46-830, or? Preferrably for California. I'm trying to collect information and facts to make this easier. Thanks.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
itslow

Default Re: 1933 Ford title

It will be wholly dependent upon the state (and to a point, possibly the lady at the DMV who fills out the paperwork).

It'd be unlikely that they'd use the model number. "Pickup" would be certainly likely. Either way, it won't be "blank".

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
thirt4

Doesn't California allow for a "restored", "salvaged" or "rebuilt" title?
thirt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
PhoenixFear

I'm planning on going to AAA as they have helped me in the past. It is closer than the DMV for me. I'll be flat towing this using a U-Haul trailer so I want to make sure I have all the info to make this work in one shot. I figured if I had a copy of an example title it may just be one more piece of information to make it easier.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
Karl Wolf

Do yourself a favor and call them first... AAA does a good DMV thing but they are limited in scope as to what they can do.

Are you registering a car that you've put together? I did this with a 1930 Model A, put together from parts, no paperwork- just a sheaf of receipts... I did use an original frame, with numbers that I thought looked pretty shakey... It was real easy. CHP inspects numbers with a form from DMV, take that to the DMV... The real cool part is that they will register the car as the year that it resembles, rather than the year of assembly...

It kinda helps to know how things work first, cause I have found more than one DMV clerk who did NOT. They did not have a box for roadster on their forms, so they decided that my car was a coupe- I only found out when I got the title in the mail...

PM me if you want,

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:46 AM   #6
banjoQ

I went through this last year. Easy is not the word I would use to describe the process. First-AAA will not be able to help with your problem. They are set to do current reg. procedures and some title work. I tried, but ended up having to go to DMV to register my truck. Familiarizing yourself with what will be needed is good advice. I can't tell you how many mixed messages I got from the staff at DMV. Get them to tell you everything you will need to provide up front. I ended up spending 10 hours over 5 visits to finally get my truck registered. Still waiting for the verdict on my original plates. They contradicted themselves and would not let me use the originals. I have since found old reg. papers and have re-filed to claim the original plates. That was 8weeks ago. It can be done and your experience might be better than mine. All I can say is be patient and good luck!
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
TJ

First make sure you find the ID # on the frame. That's your starting point. Go to DMV and then get the paper work for Lost Title or Application for Title or Registration. It will include a form for ID# verification. Get the number verified first. If it's a good number it should come back to the verifier as "No Record on File". You may be able to find a registered verifier in your area who will come to your location for a fee. Much easier if you can do it this way. They will also help you with the process of registration. Most verifiers know way more than the average DMV worker and for a few bucks they can save you many trips to DMV.
Sometime back I purchased a 40 Ford from out of state. DMV wanted me to get a smog certificate/inspection for it because it was an out of state car! I had to explain to them that there were no smog requirements for cars in 1940.
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
51504bat

You might try a title service the knows the ins and outs of old car registrations. This one says they do it all but I have never used them so I can't say if the are the real deal or not. Might be worth a phone call.

We are an Auto Registration office that specializes in Vehicles pre 1975
Does your car need to be Vin verified? If you hate going to the DMV and waiting countless hours then to be directed to CHP call us first!

WE CAN HANDLE ANY PAPERWORK PROBLEM YOU MAY HAVE
OUR MOBILE SERVICE TURN AROUND TIME IS 24 HOURS OR INSTANT REGISTRATION IN OUR OFFICE
CALL OR TEXT FOR A QUOTE 310 735 5384

WEB-SITE: https://sites.google.com/site/310735...boulevard/home
51504bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Be prepared for the fact that most DMV personal will not know you do not have to pay the weight fee on a pre 1937 commercial vehicle:

You can find this information at:

V C Section 9401 Weight Fee for Pre 1937 Year Model Vehicles

Weight Fee for Pre-1937 Year Model Vehicles

9401. (a) Motor vehicles manufactured in or prior to 1936, are exempted from the payment of the weight fees provided for in Section 9400.

(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), any person who owns and operates a commercial vehicle manufactured in or prior to 1936 which is registered to such person, may pay the appropriate weight fees, and the department shall issue license plates of the same type as are issued to vehicles which are required to pay weight fees for such vehicles.

Added Ch. 622, Stats. 1980. Effective January 1, 1981.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
bobH

Best suggestions I have... 1. Dont take car for first encounter. 2. Be prepared to walk, if any problems, if more than a couple papers, if more than 10 minutes. 3. Be prepared to try another day or week or month, or diff dmv for better and diff answers.
And , if you have the option of finding an old-car person, preferably private, USE him or her.
If you were willing to travel to Hesperia, I could recommend a private reg service.
Best wishes. JMO
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
Ball and Chain

ca title for a 31 p/u
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kevin-title.jpg (68.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
Tim Brown

Call Donna Leek at California Professional Registration Services at 530 320-5708

You wont be disappointed....
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFear View Post
Does anyone have a picture of, or know exactly what goes on a title for a 1933? I haven't had much luck finding pictures in Google of title examples. I'm getting ready to hopefully get a title for the 1933 pickup and would like it to be "correct" instead of "blank" if possible. Should the title read 1933 pickup, or 1933 model 46-830, or? Preferrably for California. I'm trying to collect information and facts to make this easier. Thanks.
What ever you do, don't call it a "truck", it is a pickup or commercial. A truck will get you into weight, wheelbase, etc.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #14
banjoQ

Jerry raises an interesting point about vehicle description. Originally, my truck did not have commercial plates. During the process of registering the vehicle I was told I would have to have commercial plates. This meant that I would have to provide a weight cert. Another added cost and another trip back. CA.DMV never made a good argument as to why I could not register the truck with the plates it had. The plates were proven to be clear in Ca. Part of my problem was I had no paperwork to connect the plates to the vehicle. I have since found connecting paperwork and re-filed to claim them, still waiting. Hope your registration goes better than mine.
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #15
TJ

Here's another tip. if you plan to use YOM plates DO NOT try to register them to the car at the same time you are getting the title. Wait about 4 months and then put on the YOM plates. Trying to do both at the same time creates mass confusion for the average DMV employee and in the main office in Sacramento.
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #16
Kahuna

As Tim mentioned, CALL Donna Leek. It will be painless
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #17
PhoenixFear

I called Karen's Kar Klearing in Hesperia and the lady there knew exactly what I needed. She was going to mail me a packet with everything I needed to fill out, however told me I should find a place near me that does VIN verifications and have that done. I ended up finding a mobile VIN place down the road from me and the lady there came out and did the whole process in one shot. We will see what happens. I might aim to get YOM plates, but she said the same thing that was mentioned here, wait a while and then get that done later. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #18
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFear View Post
I called Karen's Kar Klearing in Hesperia and the lady there knew exactly what I needed. She was going to mail me a packet with everything I needed to fill out, however told me I should find a place near me that does VIN verifications and have that done. I ended up finding a mobile VIN place down the road from me and the lady there came out and did the whole process in one shot. We will see what happens. I might aim to get YOM plates, but she said the same thing that was mentioned here, wait a while and then get that done later. Thanks for the help.
An interesting question for which I don't know the answer. Do you need to run commercial YOM plates? I have heard they will let it slip by and the vehicle code permits you to use passenger plates on pre 1936 commercial vehicles. I have been looking for a pair of 1931 commercial plates for a couple of years now (if someone has a set for sale, please PM/email me).

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #19
PhoenixFear

The lady didn't say anything specific about that, just that the year has to match. I'll ask her next time.