Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
tubman

Default 4BBL Carburetors

I have been able to come into the possession of 2 4BBL manifolds for the later ('49-'53) flatheads. One is a Fenton and the other is an Edmunds. I would prefer to run a carburetor that will bolt directly to the manifold. I think this restricts me to a WCFB, a pre-quadrajet Rochester, or a Stromberg Aero-quad. I already have a WCFB from a '54 Chrysler that I plan on rebuilding. I was thinking of getting a Rochester for the second manifold to see which works best. Before I get too far down the road, does anyone have any insight on this? Is one manifold better than the other? How about the merits of the different carbs. Several years ago I had a 390 Holley adapted to an Offenhauser manifold and it worked very well. All input appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by tubman; 03-30-2014 at 10:37 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: 4BBL Caruretors

Don't dismiss the tea pots which are a bolt on. These carbs ran very good when properly rebuilt.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:12 AM   #3
scooder

Don't forget with an 8BA the stock ignition will NOT work properly with 99% of these other carbs. They do not have the correct vacuum signal porting on them. I think maybe a teapot has the correct port on some of them?
As to which manifold is best, not sure you would notice a difference between the two. Pick the one you prefer the look of, and stick the other one in the post to me, and I'll pop it between my Rochester 4 jet and the engine in my truck. You will feel a great lovely warm feeling with your good deed, and I will be forever your friend. As to which carb is better, from what I have ascertained, the Rochester works, as does the WCFB. The Rochester is good normaly leak free simpler carb, the WCFB is a better design but slightly more finicky to get good. Kinda like the 94 And 97 choices. Know nothing about the Areo quad or the teapot.
Also heard that the Rochester and the WCFB when setup correct are better than the Holley 390. This is from folk that have run both.
Get JWL's book, there's lots of good dyno comparisons with differing intakes and carbs and all else. This book did confirm for me something that I've thought for a long time, but not had the opportunity to test, that the 390 is a little bit small, even on a stocker.
Martin.

Last edited by scooder; 03-29-2014 at 06:19 AM.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
oldskool

I have a 52 olds carb on a edelbrock manifold not installed yet, I like the wcfb because the throttle is on the pass side perfect for pre 48 cars, the Rochester are easier o work on im told,i also like the edelbrock manifold because the generator is dead center unlike offys that are 11/16 offset
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM002209.jpg (60.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IM002210.jpg (54.8 KB, 26 views)
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
dude

The Holley 390 would be a good choice. Has always worked well and is easy to work with.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
Andy

Get a carb that has a velocity control on the secondaries. I had a 55 Caddy WCFB and it would only bog. I love the 54 Buick WCFB's. I have them on two cars. Small CFM and secondary flapper. Both cars run great and great fuel economy. They have the small bolt patter and the fuel comes in the back next to the pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060490.jpg (83.0 KB, 32 views)
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

In JWL's Book" Flathead facts" He went into detail on these carbs and intakes and other combinations that might help you make decisions here. I've run an early Wcfb that ran very well from a Buick. Not sure what intake it was on. Unless your looking for WOT power I don't thing it makes much difference.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
tubman

I have JWL's book, and I see that he likes the Fenton. Looks like I am going to do a little experimentation with these and see what I find out.
Stay tuned for the results of my tests!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
bobH

Here's my experience... Probably of no help, but this is what I've experienced...
I bought a 56 chevy, new, and it came with a wcfb. I've still got it today, and like Andy above has posted, mine has had a bog since day one. I'm sure a good carb guy could modify & fix it, but I've kept it stock original, and the bog has been there forever. On the other hand, I've also got another 56 Chevy engine, in another car, and it is an identical engine, except it has the rochester 4V, the one used before quadrajets came out. This setup runs perfectly - never bogs - and the plugs look 'normal', like not running rich (or lean). I wish the one with the wcfb ran as good.
I don't know how this can help you, except to say if you experience the 'bog', you might have to mess a little with the wcfb.
The above-posted comments regarding wcfb's from other makes, and without the 'bog', tells me that mine could be fixed, and probably easily.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Andy

The 55 and 56 Chevy's did not have the secondary flappers. Neither did the Lincolns or the Caddys. My aunt bought a 57 Lincoln brand new. It was my first experience with a 4bbl that did not bog. I don't know why the Buick WCFB's got the flapper early. The 54 Dodge had the flapper but the 56 Chrysler had the diaphram. That's all I know. I am talking about WCFB's only.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
tubman

Default Re: 4BBL Carburetors

Thanks for the input. I think I'll stick with my original plan of finding a Rochester 4V to play with in addition to the WCFB. If I found a decent "teapot" on my swap meet prowls, I probably wouldn't pass it up either. Now I gotta dig out my '54 Chrysler carb and see if it has "flappers".

Also, I have an old Mallory "flattop" distributer (just rebuilt by Bubba) and a couple of newer dual point Mallorys, so I should be in good shape ignition-wise.