Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #1
JOANNEM

Default Upholstery people

I live by Bakersfield California & I need to find someone that can install my new ribs in the ceiling & the top & upholstery. So far I have talked to 4 people & only 1 has done a top. But he seems to be too busy to even return my phone calls.
And frankly I don't want to have someone that hasn't done the tops & use it as a training exercise.
Also I am being told that using stables is better than using the nails. (They won't rust) Is that true? I am trying to make my car as original as possible & every time there is a problem I get hit with 'just modify' the car. And since I am working hard to keep it as original as possible, frankly I am starting to doubt my self on this.
Please help a newbie out!!!
Thanks
joanne
JOANNEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
bobH

Default Re: Upholstery people

Opinion & speculation here... I'd be real surprised if there isn't a 'car-culture' in Bakersfield. Are you in touch with EFV8 club members in your area? If you are going for 'original' (or, at least original-looking, or 'close' to original) it seems to me you will need some help from club members. For whatever year & model you are working on, there is probably a club restoration book - perhaps of benefit to you??? And, if there really isn't an experienced old-car upholsterer in your area, maybe you will need to 'reach-out' a little farther. Possible suggestion... I believe the Bakersfield swap meet is coming up soon. It's actually billed as a 'T' swap meet (Apr 10-12), but there are always EFV8 folks and parts there. I would think it would be a good place to make contacts and ask V8 folks for upholstery suggestions.
And, if that doesn't produce good leads, then consider attending the EFV8 Western National in a few months, I beleive it's going to be at Thousand Oaks. A couple hours drive, and it will surely provide the opportunity to meet folks that could offer suggestions. The club is a little messed up, and they have advertised it as being the 2012 Western National Meet, Sept 2-5.

Edit, with reference to John's post, below... I looked at the LB site, under authorized installers - found nothing close to Bakersfield, unless you consider LA (ElSegundo, Orange, Santee) or LaHonda close. However, I would still suggest looking at LB's installation video's if they have anything that resembles what you are trying to do. And, also a call to them, to see if they have an instruction sheet for your project.
I think I see an opportunity here. There are probably several of us that could be 'authorized installers', if we wanted to be.
Charlie's suggestion regarding Model A guys is also a good one.
You might also pose your question on the club site forum - mention yr, make & model.
earlyfordv8.org

Last edited by bobH; 03-28-2014 at 02:56 PM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
TJ

Joannem, Bob gives some good advice. if you are a V-8 Club member use the roster and call some V-8 people in the Bakersfield area for recommendations.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Staples that are used by trimmers hold better than tacks and are much easier to install. They would be foolish to use any that aren't corrosion resistant steel. The headliner was originally tacked to the sides of the roof bows but a person won't see how it's fastened unless the headliner or outside topping is removed.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-28-2014 at 09:57 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
john worden

Year, make and model ?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Joanne,

Be sure to also check with the Model A guys as they have basically the same top. The web sites for the two Model A national clubs are mafca.com and modelaford.org.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Joanne,
A little more information on the HCCA swap meet in Bakersfield from their web site. The contacts for the meet are Host - Gil Klecan, tour chairman, (619) 925-1414
Greg Rimmer, swap chairman (661) 325-2840. I enjoy this meet and it is close to you but don't expect to see a big turn out of the early Ford V8 stuff. There will be a lot of brass era cars and Model T's.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
john worden

Go to LeBaron Bonneys web sight and look at the list of authorized installers. There may be one in your area.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #9
JOANNEM

Thank you everyone. I already checked with the Bakersfield people & there is only 1 guy in Bako & he is just too busy. He referred me to someone else in Bako & he is too busy then the 2nd guy referred me to a company in Visalia & he never returned my calls. Sooo I e-mailed someone whom I had seen his car & like the work & found out his dad did the job & has a shop in Fresno. Baskin Auto Upholstery. And they have 10 32's! So I am going to take it there. Its tough in Bakersfield as there is only 1 shop that works on these cars & they can pick & chose what they want to do.
But I now have it handled.
thanks a bunch
JOANNEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:44 AM   #10
66miles

Betta post a few pics of your 32 when you get round to it! Sounds like it's gonna turn out really nice.
66miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
Kerk

Smile Re: Upholstery people

You could call LeBaron Bonney at Tel. # 1-8oo-221-5408 and ask for their advise. They have a list of approved installers I believe. Good Luck Kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #12
machine girl

we use a man in Hollister ca has a mobil shop in a van
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote