Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #21
Shadetree

Default Re: Got scammed!

The majority of people are honest and make a great effort to be that way. It is that few that hurt when you get stung.

Just a few months ago I walked into a K-Mart and there was a guard at the door. I never thought much about it. I was getting a sore throat and needed some Listerine Tabs. I didn't need a cart so I found my tabs and hand carried them to check out, paid for them and as I approached the same guard on the way out he said I see you have your Listerine Tabs. At first I was perturbed knowing someone was watching me via cameras and had relayed to the guard to be ready to apprehend me if necessary, but then I thought, it was just a sign of the times....
Old 04-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #22
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Guess I've been lucky, so far I have not been scammed but that is not to say I've not been cheated. I think this problem has been out there from day one, but with our ever evolving communication networks we now have a venue to alert others of this kind of situation. I only hope people like the one that has cheated you someday gets what is coming to them. Sorry to hear that a honest person going on good faith was wronged.

Hopefully what goes around comes around.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #23
Ronnie

BEWARE not his first day at the beach!!!! Looks like the same dude.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/1528...g-scam-update/

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #24
36tbird

Let him know that you've contacted the local court house and have the dates and times for small claims court so that you can stop in next time you are on the road for business. Tell him that you hope it does not inconvenience him and his wife to show up for court or receive a default judgment.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #25
ford3

i advertised for a 49 ford coupe steering box, was contacted and the guy said he had one in perfect condition $350 plus shipping, he wanted western union, he sent me a pic of the box, i told him it looked good, but could you send me a pic of you holding the steering box, his reply was his camera wasnt working, funny it was working when you took the pick of the box, after looking on ebay i seen the pic of the same box, i never heard from him again
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #26
wga

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Where's the Godfather when you need him? Let Clemenza handle this...
Old 04-21-2014, 01:18 AM   #27
hardtimes

Hey Shoebox,
Sorry you got slimed ! These days it is fairly useless to 'report' squat to anyone over this type thing. Seems lately..more/more becoming lawless society.
So, self protection includes buying/selling,eh ! I, like many others , have had my unfair share of dealings in the buying / selling life. My advice is to have the seller send you different view pictures of item(s). Even ask the seller to show a picture of him/her holding item. Ask for MORE pictures if not satisfied and / or suspicious of 'deal'. Also get phone numbers...home/cell. Get sellers address and if you have computer and/or computer friend...'mapquest' the seller property. There are lots of little things to employ to protect yourself..as a buyer. Not using moneygram is first little thing. BTW..as a seller, I expect a buyer to be cautious and ask for the same things that I ask for when buying...so I'm ready to produce whatever it takes to do the right thing. Maybe that POS that took you will make a mistake that he will have to pay for , in person.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #28
B-O-B

KARMA FOLKS KARMA;
I've been had numerous times also & rely on KARMA. One of the days they will get what is coming to them.
This is what a body shop guy in IOWA calls restored 90 o/o. & yep I had two different guys look @ it. Just paint it up & call it restored.
I have a whole file of pictures he sent & numerous phone calls.
Unless you disassemble it on the spot a lot can be covered up.
I guess it comes with the territory when playing with these old cars.
Just cuss em out,call their mother names & move on. Eventually they will get what they deserve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3988.jpg (25.1 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4076.jpg (28.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4080.jpg (65.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4068.jpg (64.6 KB, 173 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #29
Shoebox

Ronnie,
That is indeed the scum bag!

Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
BEWARE not his first day at the beach!!!! Looks like the same dude.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/1528...g-scam-update/

R
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #30
green50

Found this http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Internet-Fraud.shtml don't know if it would help.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #31
waynerod

I always try and research the person or company before any transaction is rendered and get a telephone number. I have had many car part transactions but 99% have been with paypal protection also. That really sucks, karma comes to those ppl.
waynerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #32
HCO41

I've experienced several attempts when looking for parts. (Remember the $200 dip stick)? I was also approached when looking for a special Ford tool and when looking for a Mercury oil pan. At least one of these attempts came from off-shore.
What all had in common was that I had posted the wanted ads on the V8 Ford forum, (along with the swap meet here). The only difference is that I posted my phone number and email address on the V8 forum, while I depended on PMs from members of the Barn.
In two cases, there was no follow up from the seller when I asked for a picture and phone number. Might be worth considering.

Howard

Last edited by HCO41; 04-22-2014 at 07:06 PM.
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #33
91A-77B

My worst scammer experience was, unfortunately, the Early Ford V8 Club website. If you want some fun, run a parts wanted ad - some jackass from England will be on you like a bee to honey. I ran 2 ads for different parts simultaneously, and got the exact same copy in the reply - but from different addresses in England. Scamming is an international sport. By the way, I bought a lot of stuff on Ebay from Azario a year or so back, and had nothing but good experience with him. Over 10 different purchases. Crazy world we live in.
91A-77B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #34
rockfla

Shoebox, I got scammed many years ago here on Fordbarn on a winter front grill from a guy in No. Cal.. He also stole money from about 4 others for the same grill. I made contact with two of the 5 of us and we all called the Calaveras County Sheriffs Department and the detective started to work our case. It took several months but we did end up getting our money back. The detective told me at the start, because of the amount of money involved, he really had no legal grounds "per-sea" to arrest him but held hope that his position as a detective and intimidating conversations/investigations would be enough to make him do the "right thing", and it did (minus some shipping cost/but got 90% back). My advice would be is to contact with as many people as you can that have been scammed by this guy, get all your info/evidence together and call the local police department and get a detective on the phone with all of the info and cross your fingers. I tend to think my result was the exception, not the "rule". Good Luck.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #35
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91A-77B View Post
By the way, I bought a lot of stuff on Ebay from Azario a year or so back, and had nothing but good experience with him. Over 10 different purchases.
Just an "update" on my experience with ol' Robert Azario... below is his latest response to me. To reiterate, I have blocked out the most offensive language. Note this is about two weeks old. Guess what? STILL no refund.
from Azario:
Dearest Douche: I will send your refund when I get back to Florida late next week. Right now I’m not far from that sh--hole you call home. As I mentioned before, I don’t give a f--k about what you think of me. You’re just a bitter old man. That notwithstanding, it’s pretty comical for you to believe that I’ve purchased my wife a single pair of shoes or “fancy” purse with the pittance that I owe you.

By the way, I don’t have a website and I don’t sell parts anymore. You and those other old f--ks who have nothing to do can kiss my a-s.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #36
Milner

Hi

Had an ad in FordBarn for a 1935 ford grille

Bryant Hardy contacted via normal e:mail....

Moneygram 350$ to
Karren Hardy
8045 Olive st.
Kansas City KS 66102

E:mail [email protected]

Soo 350 gone.

Peter
Milner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #37
TJ

Peter, the first red flag was a '35 grille for $350. The second red flag was the moneygram and the third red flag was the last name of "Hardy". Sorry you lost your money.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #38
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milner View Post
Hi

Had an ad in FordBarn for a 1935 ford grille

Bryant Hardy contacted via normal e:mail....

Moneygram 350$ to
Karren Hardy
8045 Olive st.
Kansas City KS 66102

E:mail [email protected]

Soo 350 gone.

Peter
Moneygrams are a No - No! Sorry for your loss.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #39
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91A-77B View Post
My worst scammer experience was, unfortunately, the Early Ford V8 Club website. If you want some fun, run a parts wanted ad - some jackass from England will be on you like a bee to honey. I ran 2 ads for different parts simultaneously, and got the exact same copy in the reply - but from different addresses in England. Scamming is an international sport. By the way, I bought a lot of stuff on Ebay from Azario a year or so back, and had nothing but good experience with him. Over 10 different purchases. Crazy world we live in.
Ha, I did this on the old fordbarn when the want ads were getting hit a lot. I posted a want ad for "Vintage ford exhaust AIR"... must be mint!

Only took about 6hrs to get a response from someone in UK (not really in the UK, just a hub for other areas). "I have your Vintage ford exhaust air, in perfect condition". "I asked if it was fresh?" Response was "Yes very fresh". No way air that old could be fresh... scammer

Everyday for a week or so I'd send a few new emails asking about the air, wasting their time.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #40
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
The majority of people are honest and make a great effort to be that way. It is that few that hurt when you get stung.

Just a few months ago I walked into a K-Mart and there was a guard at the door. I never thought much about it. I was getting a sore throat and needed some Listerine Tabs. I didn't need a cart so I found my tabs and hand carried them to check out, paid for them and as I approached the same guard on the way out he said I see you have your Listerine Tabs. At first I was perturbed knowing someone was watching me via cameras and had relayed to the guard to be ready to apprehend me if necessary, but then I thought, it was just a sign of the times....
SHADETREE ....................
It might be your "supicious" looks, that made that guard check you out.
You are kind of scary looking ! LOL
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote