Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
Randy1944

Default Headlight Switch

I need information pertaining to the large headlight switch at bottom of steering column. It has maybe six contacts. I need to know what wire goes to which round contact. It is part no. 81A 11657 and I can not find a picture showing the round contacts inside that match up with the assy on the bottom of the steering column. Thanks again for your help. Randy
Randy1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Headlight Switch

This may help.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1938.jpg (71.4 KB, 118 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #3
Mike in AZ

see if this is clearer...from MacVP's website...Mike

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...wiring1936.jpg
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #4
Randy1944

Neither of these are marked for a 39 pu. My motor has the voltage regulator. The item in question is shown at the upper left, but I still need to know which wire goes to which connector disc. Thanks
Old 09-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

There are 12 positions on the switch, three are the off position. The remaining nine are in groups of three. The selector is a triangle shaped piece that connect to three of the contacts (one from each of the three groups) in each position. The positions you can select are OFF, PARKING, LOW BEAM & HIGH BEAM. When Ford added the floor dimmer the LOW BEAM & HIGH BEAM functions were moved to the dimmer switch. You should be able to figure it out using the above posted wiring diagram.

The first photo is a 37 light control switch, the second is a 40 harness, the third is really model A parts, but they look very similar to the later years.

Last edited by JSeery; 09-29-2016 at 08:00 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:53 AM   #6
Terry,OH

I have not seen a wiring diagram from Ford but usually the aftermarket supplier of the head light harness includes the diagram you need. The above diagram for the 38 is the same as the 39. The car and pick up are the same as far as the head light switch. The above diagram for the 36 Ford is not the same as the 39, do not use it. JSeery post above is for the earlier head light switch like 36. The 39 and 38 switches have a different amount of contacts and positions because they have a foot operated dimmer switch.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
JSeery post above is for the earlier head light switch like 36. The 39 and 38 switches have a different amount of contacts and positions because they have a foot operated dimmer switch.
Don't think the number of positions changes, just the way it is wiring up. The first group of three are all connected together as are the second group of three. The last group of three (parking and headlights) are separate connectors. The two headlight positions on the 39 may be combined, I'm not sure on that part!

I added the 39 wiring diagrams. The commercial vehicles did not have a separate wiring diagrams in these years as far as I know. A pickup should have used the 39 standard wiring diagram, BUT it is my understanding that some of them have the voltage regulators and are more like the deluxe diagram. Both diagrams are very similar other than the voltage regulator vs cutout for the generator and one vs two tail lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38 Light Control Switch.JPG (52.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1939dlx.jpg (98.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1939std.jpg (63.6 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 09-29-2016 at 10:08 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
Randy1944

Thanks everyone. I had looked and looked and could not find the diagram that I needed. Thanks JSeery, this is exactly what I needed. My friend that is doing the wiring, needed this and you came through again and again and again.
Regards,
Randy
Old 09-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
Terry,OH

The wiring terminal plate on the 32-39 head light switch is the same. 32 thru 36 use all of the electrical terminals. The 37-39 Fords with the foot operated dimmer switch do not use one of the electrical terminals. The housing for the 37-39 light switch differs from the 32-36 housing limiting the switch from entering the unused electrical terminal. This gives the 32-36 light switch four hand positions: off, park, low, high. Where as the 37 -39 have three hand positions.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote