Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
Noswal

Default Front adjustable coil over shock question

Been wanting to lower the front of my 46 Mercury about 3 or4 inches. A buddy of mine has a couple of sets of coil over adjustable shocks. Was thinking of taking a few leaves out of the front springs until I get it down there and using the coil overs. Anybody have any experience with this set up? I've used them or rears with ladder bars and four links but never on the front. And never with leaf springs. I want this to be a driver that I plan to drive a lot. Any suggestions to make it work, or abandon it and use the dropped axle, spring and steering arms?
Noswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Front adjustable coil over shock question

You probably already know the "good" answer. The coil-overs don't make for a realistic mix-n-match with the Mercury leaf spring, most-especially on the front. Go the tried n' true method with dropped axle and or springs......you'll be much ahead of the game. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Mart

There isn't (probably) a 4" gap between the existing axle and the frame or bump stops, so how can you lower it 3-4" and still have suspension travel for a daily driver? The coulover idea sounds like a really bad idea to me, the shock mounts aren't designed to support the weight of a heavy car like that.

You could go a couple of inches lower, but more than that would need a dropped axle.

Fitting a dropped axle isn't necessarily a painless bolt-in. There are a series of knock on jobs that need doing (or problems to be solved, depending on your viewpoint).

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
Noswal

You're both right. And I did know that it was a looooong shot, DD, but thought things might have changed in the last couple of decades. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and see how economically I can get it down at least a couple or three inches. Thanks for the replies.
Noswal is offline   Reply With Quote