Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Thomas T

Default 1914 Field Truck Body started

I have completed all of the engineering and drawings to build a replica of a Field Truck Body, Truck Cab, that were built for Ford Motor Co back in the mid-to late 1900's. I have placed an order to have all of the water-jet cutout work on the aluminum sheet material. The entire exterior body will be made using aluminum instead of the original sheet steel. The "skeleton" or interior frame work will be fabricated using various sizes of steel square and rectangle tubing and the skin will be fastened to the frame work with Cherry-Max rivets. The design criteria is to make the Truck looks as close as possible to one of Fields’s Light Express bodies that were placed on a stock Model T chassis. I am posting all of the information and photos at www.tomsoldbarn.com and would appreciate any positive comments or ideas with this project.
Thomas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis
Default Re: 1914 Field Truck Body started

What about corrosion between the aluminum panels and the steel framework? Even if the steel was treated the rivets are still conductive. I believe the original aluminum skinned bodies were framed with wood, making the above consideration a non issue.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Thomas T

Hi John, I will use epoxy paint on the steel tubing and the Cherry-Max rivets are aluminum so I would hope that there will be no crossion. Thanks for this question.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Thomas T

Cab steel frame now complete, next will be riveting on all of the aluminum panels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cab-05.JPG (119.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Thomas T

G' day to all. For those who emailed and asked that I post a photo of the Aluminum panels as soon as they were installed on the Truck Cab, here is one and more are on my web site. The panels are held on with Cleco fastners at this point and will be removed so that the frame can be sandblasted and then painted before the Cherry-Max rivets are installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cab-15.JPG (120.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Cab-22.JPG (119.2 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Thomas T; 09-29-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Thomas T

Just finished hanging the Driver Side Door on my Field Truck Cab and boy what a relief to see how well it works, it feels like opening a door on a safe. I have had reservations about this ever since starting the project. The hinges are fastened permanently to the door itself with Cherry-Max rivets and temporarily to the Cab Body with Cleco Fasteners. All of the aluminum panels and doors will be removed so that the steel frame can be epoxy coated and then everything reinstalled permanently. I will install the wood with the felt tracks for the windows before installing the interior door panels. More constructions photos are on my web site www.tomsoldbarn.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hinged Door 01.JPG (120.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Hinged Door 02.JPG (119.7 KB, 19 views)