Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Coupe35

Default Flathads braking system.

Has anybody had a problem with the flathead breaking system. It seems that the front drum shoe wants to hang up when in motion. I had to put the spring back on it. flathead recommends leaving the spring off but it almost ruin my drum it got so hot with the shoe rubbing againt it. And it was free to move in and out. Just think it's a bad design.
Coupe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
Lanny

Default Re: Flathads braking system.

What year ?..... and does it have Hydraulic Brakes ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-15-2010, 03:43 AM   #3
Gary in Mozarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe35 View Post
Has anybody had a problem with the flathead breaking system. It seems that the front drum shoe wants to hang up when in motion. I had to put the spring back on it. flathead recommends leaving the spring off but it almost ruin my drum it got so hot with the shoe rubbing againt it. And it was free to move in and out. Just think it's a bad design.
If I understand your question, you were running the brake shoes withiout the return springs? I would imagine they would hang up.

I never heard of running without the return springs. The design requires the shoes be pulled away from the drums by the return springs when not energized. you might get away with running streatched springs but not no springs.

Lockheed brakes are non self energizing, so they are marginal at best. They were first generation, late 20's design. They were not designed for cruising at 70 mph. Wagner type brakes are an improvement.
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
Randy/In

It sounds like he is running floaters with one spring as recommended in the instructions.
Randy/In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
I'm not sure I totally understand your question. Are you possibly using FlatheadTed's brake equalizing/brake shoe floating system with an original Ford mechanical brake system?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Coupe35

Yes, I'm using FlatheadTed's brake equalizing/brake shoe floating system with an original Ford mechanical brake system. And according to the instructions the spring is supposed to be removed. I'm going to install it and see what happens. I believe that is why the system works is the spring missing. The front shoe grabs on to the drum and it stops. May work but sounds like a dangerous situation by having the shoe loose.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Yes, I'm using FlatheadTed's brake equalizing/brake shoe floating system with an original Ford mechanical brake system. And according to the instructions the spring is supposed to be removed. I'm going to install it and see what happens. I believe that is why the system works is the spring missing. The front shoe grabs on to the drum and it stops. May work but sounds like a dangerous situation by having the shoe loose.
I have heard nothing but good reports on FlatheadTed's brake equalizing/brake shoe floating system. I was planning to put them on my 35 4dr sedan. I occasionally see him posting here, so maybe he will step in and answer your questions or help you fix your problems. You could also send him a PM asking for some help. JM

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote