Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default A-17081-B Folding Jack Handle

In gathering up tools and talking with various ones, I think I have found the correct jack handle however I am also finding what may be an old reproduction or aftermarket handle. Can anyone give the correct dimensions for the following areas so that I know for sure which one I need to get?

...A)

...B)

...C)

...D)

...E)

...F)

Thanks!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JackHandle1.jpg (56.6 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg JackHandle2.jpg (44.4 KB, 339 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 05-30-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: To update drawing with measurements.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
mot

Default Re: A-17081-B Folding Jack Handle

brent
all the dimensions are not on the original blueprint
here is what you need
I hope it helps
tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001S.JPG (24.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-002S.JPG (27.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-003S.JPG (21.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-004S.JPG (26.8 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-005S.JPG (19.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-006S.JPG (22.4 KB, 82 views)
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
mot

brent
i looked at my other blueprints and found another one for the handle
look at the dimensions
they are different
the last one is showing how the measurment is taken for the folded dimension
tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-007S.JPG (55.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-008S.JPG (49.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-009S.JPG (65.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-010S.JPG (19.6 KB, 224 views)
Old 05-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Tom, thank you for the mention of Dave's booklet. I too did not know about that one either. Thanks Vince for posting the dimensions!

Two other things to note is look at the prints (pictured below) regarding the angle that the crank end is bent. Also note the length differences, ...most notably the folded lengths.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JackHandle3.jpg (45.3 KB, 81 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
ctlikon0712

Brent/Marco, I'm sure you realize, but I thought I'd just clarify for the casual reader, that the total length in the lower print is for the Tangent length of the crank section and the straight length of the other folded jack end. And I'm sure its straight leg length would be different too because of its different bend angle for the crank. Marco, be sure to give us a link, thanks.

Last edited by ctlikon0712; 05-31-2012 at 05:15 PM.
ctlikon0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Uh! Oh! I just learned how to do those STARS!!
Never thought about jack handles, good thread Brent.
Bill W.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
spike

is it possible that the longer one was used for the delux delivery since the body is longer than the rest of the cars(the over hang on the rear) ---just asking---
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
is it possible that the longer one was used for the delux delivery since the body is longer than the rest of the cars(the over hang on the rear) ---just asking---
All "A" chassis used the same jack handle at any given time.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
ctlikon0712

Station wagon also if its true..... both got the longer tail pipe
Old 06-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
Marco Tahtaras

I would expect variations in the jack handles for reasons that hopefully will make sense from what I describe below. As many of us know well, Ford had outside suppliers to supplement production of nearly every part of the car. The suppliers were required to follow ford's specifications in every detail. However while the majority of the car was Ford's design and controlled as such (with good reason), other items were general in nature. These items were commonly used throughout the industry (although versions may vary) and produced under patents well outside of Ford's control or interest.

Ford's engineering drawings and corresponding release documents were created differently depending on circumstances. Some of Ford's designs or design changes were created on paper, dated, and implemented as soon as feasible (could be months). Some items by design had to be patterned in real life, real time, and only then committed to paper after the fact. This primarily applied to soft good such as interior and top trim but also applied to minor but important changes to functional items where changes had to be made on the fly in production.

Finally there was the documentation of items solely engineered and patented by outside suppliers. Jacks (and handles) were a major example of this. All the applicable patents I've found were assigned to Auto Specialties of San Francisco (screw type jacks) and Walker Manufacturing of Racine, WI (ratchet jacks). There doesn't appear to be any jack patents held by Ajax. Ajax was likely just a manufacturer capable of supplying a functionally equivalent product under the patents of the other companies much like Spicer produced shocks under the patents of Houde engineering Corp. Ajax did supply both screw type and ratchet type jacks but all with stamped steel housings.

With items such as these Ford had nothing to do with the design on paper or otherwise. When the engineering department approved such a product they committed it to paper and assigned a part number. For something like the jack Ford likely had simple requirements such as closed height, etc. The vendor would likely submit a sample product for consideration and approval. Reading Ford engineering documents it's very clear there were two methods of drawing a vendors product for the records. One method was to create a basic drawing from the sample provided by the vendor (likely in this case) and the other method was to create a drawing by essentially copying the vendors own engineering drawing but including only that information deemed necessary. It's worth noting that if the folding jack handle was a Ford item it would be labeled "Jack Handle Assembly" and the drawing would have a part number assigned to each component that makes up the assembly.

Now, when another vendor steps in as an alternate supplier they didn't necessarily have to follow the example from the first or primary supplier. Theirs would however need to be approved by the engineering department and be compatible to be carried under the same part number. Subtle differences did not require documentation but larger ones such as the optional hinge support designs would be and were drawn upon approval. We know there were a minimum of two suppliers for the common jack handle (A-17081-B) and I'd be surprised if there wasn't more. On one of the jack handle drawings Ford specified "Handles from any supplier must fit jacks from any supplier".

As alluded to above, there was not necessarily anything unique to the jacks and handles that Ford supplied. Tom Moniz sent me the era ads below from Pep Boys and Western Auto. Although they are described as being 1/4" taller than what we use they are essentially the same and cost slightly less than Ford's retail price!

Finally, a few specifics. The jack handle in question (A-17081-B) was first introduced in January 1930 and used for approximately two months when it was discontinued and used "for repairs only". It was drawn as 39" in overall length with a 4-1/4" handle. This was likely Auto Specialties' "off the shelf" version. In early July 1930 it was reinstated for use with all jacks from that time forward. The new drawing however shows the handle to have a total length of 36" including a 4" handle. There is no way to know if the shorter version was requested by Ford or the vendor but it remained as such for the remainder of production. At least one subsequent drawing of A-17081-B shows an angled off-set.

Last edited by Marco Tahtaras; 06-02-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Marco Tahtaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
spike

thanks Marco
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 12:15 PM   #12
Dave H

Better take a look at the Judging Standards if you are going for fine point. After all, that's the final word.
With the 1989 standards, the jack handle is 39" long and had a stamped double-ended clip. Later, Judging Standards revision 4 dated 2016 describes not one, but two more versions, all 3 with the same number, A-17081-B! That revision shows the third version of the handle having the "figure eight" sliding joint, effective November '30, and the previous handles with the stamped clip were obsoleted. So, in order to have the correct version of the A-17081-B handle you must find the one applicable for the month and year of your car.

Last edited by Dave H; 01-03-2023 at 07:41 AM.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
mot

vince
the part number A-17081-B is for the handle
A-17080-B2 is for the Jack

I cant read the words next to the number, but all the others generally have obsolete with a date
the first issue date is for 1-10-30 on the black blueprint and 1-18-30 on the white one
both have a date of 1-18-30
the last date on the black one is 3-6-30 and the white one is 7-7-30

the photo of the hinge is from Dave Adairs tool book
I recomend everyone to buy one and take it to the swap meets
you will never buy another wrong tool
its only $10 PP
Dave Adair
895 Hazelwood Dr
Oregon City
Oregon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-011S.JPG (26.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #14
mot

dave adairs email is [email protected]
i always carry the book with me as it fits in my shirt pocket
saved me many times on look a like tools