Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
txmike

Default Windshield Install

Hello
Who can advise me about windshield install.
Do you slide the windshield frame into the hinge bracket after the bracket is installed on the car - or before.

Seems to me it would be hard to mount with the weight of the windshield.
(I was told no question is stupid!)

And then if the hinge bracket appears to be a tight fit due to age etc - any suggestions on how to make it simpler and not screw up the paint on the frame when I slide it in?

Tks
Mike
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
spike

Default Re: Windshield Install

Put the windshield on the hinge, cover the gas tank with a blanket, use two people and fit the top rubber gasket first, punch all the holes in it and then start to put the screws in the hinge while it is being help by the other person. Dont forget the vacume line clips(3) that hold the rubber hose if used. good luck.One tip....I pre-drill and run the screws in first befor I install the w/s for the final time...good luck buddy
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
pride

looks like i will not continue to do this because i dont have any experience in doing it and i just rely on the internet for guides. besides i dont wanna lose a hand or even cut myself just trying to save money installing it by myself. i think you need 3 people in doing this because it is very risky. better just leave it to the experts for installing that ford windshield replacement

Last edited by pride; 12-10-2011 at 12:32 AM.
pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
glenn in camino

My wife helped, and although it took a while, We finally got it done. One more person would have been good.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Phred

Default Another idea

After dry fitting the hinge and gasket to the body, I have used contact cement to attach the pre punched gasket to the hinge prior to final installation.
Peace, Phred
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Mike in NRN IN

When I replaced the windshield in my 31 Coupe, I had to 'repair' the wood header. I did this by drilling out the 'bad section' with a forsner bit and plugged the hole with dowel and Gorilla Glue.

Then, I separated the windshield frame from the mounting hinge. Then put the hinge (mounting part) to the opening in the cab, centered to be best of my ability.

Left about 1/8" between the hinge and the front of the cab.

Marked the location where the screws should go so that I could pre-drill the wood dowel plugs in the header.

Used a Dremel to drill the holes (1/8" bit)

Put the screws in WITHOUT the frame.

I punched holes in the gasket using a leather punch tool (about 1/4 inch if I remember correctly.)

Reassembled the windshield and had my son hold one end and used a series of boxes and blankets to prop up the other side.

Not sure if that's the right way or not, but it worked for me.

Mike in NRN IN
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Marco Tahtaras

With a '28-29 Ford body (Coupe, Tudor, etc.) you can install the hinge first if the visor is not mounted on the car. If there are no bends or dents in the hinge (and it's clean) it's not tough to slide it in while in the open position about 45 degrees. Protect the tank (padded well) and have a helper the first time you do it.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
With a '28-29 Ford body (Coupe, Tudor, etc.) you can install the hinge first if the visor is not mounted on the car. If there are no bends or dents in the hinge (and it's clean) it's not tough to slide it in while in the open position about 45 degrees. Protect the tank (padded well) and have a helper the first time you do it.
I did the same with my coupe. I put a little grease on the hinge on the window and it had no problem getting it in. I did it by myself and did not mess up any paint. It is good to not have the brackets on the window when you try to do this.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote