Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #41
Old Henry

Default Re: The 7° Road Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 flatbed View Post
Awesome trip the mnt Rushmore and devil tower area is simply beautiful in late spring early summer
I especially love the drive through Custer State Park - beautiful!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #42
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Your adventures also point out the sensibility of having a closed car. There are just certain conditions I wouldn't want to venture into in our Phaeton!-VeryTangled/Jeff
Oh, I don't know. I drove a '62 Pontiac Catalina convertible one winter in high school (with the top up, of course). Had to run the heater a little higher than a hard top but it wasn't too bad. Mostly noisier as you well know.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #43
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
Really enjoyed the trip. It reminded me of our trip to the Early Ford V8 meet in St George in 2010 and driving my '50 from St George up and across I 70 after doing the meet tour to Zion.
We were at that same meet and Zion National Park run with you.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #44
VeryTangled

Again, Sweet snapshot. I really like the way the colors work at both the top and bottom.

Cecil has selective memory about the rest of that trip. Just a few more miles than planned before he slept two nights in a row in his bed. But, I'll tip my hat to him, and you, there are some guys that just love to have a steering wheel in their hands. I've driven about 500 miles in the last 3 days and I really wish it had been a Ford steering wheel that I was holding.

-VT

Last edited by VeryTangled; 12-30-2012 at 09:29 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #45
Seth Swoboda

Well done Old Henry. I look forward to reading your coast to coast travel log some day . When might we expect such a trip?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #46
Joe AZ

Great story Old Henry....always enjoy your travel documentation. I admire your willingness to get the old iron out on the road, and in some pretty extreme conditions.
I live in northern Arizona and travel to Salt Lake (sometimes driving) about once a month. I chuckle because I recognize you references to Beaver, Fillmore, etc. towns I travel through on I-15.
Again, thanks for the entertainment......look forward to the next travelogue.
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #47
pineapple

Fantastic! Love the old small towns, and even more by way of old fords!

Thanks for that!
pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #48
Old Henry

I didn't feel as bad about "Old Henry" not starting after sitting all night in 16° when I heard about 68 local school buses that had been sitting outside in single digit temperatures for a couple of weeks during Christmas vacation without starting that would not start on the first day back to school and the kids had to find another way to school or be late.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #49
chuck stevens

Old Henry,
I just loved the 7 degree trip pictures, these trips are totally unforgetable. Kathie and I have a sister to your 47, and have logged around 20k since we have had it, it always got us home. Here are a couple pictures from our trips, thanks Chuck S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012 new england tour 035.jpg (107.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 2012 new england tour 031.jpg (80.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg covered bridges.jpg (40.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (75.1 KB, 39 views)
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #50
41Fordor

Resurrected this thread to see: Henry do you have door edge weatherstrip? My 41 Fordor has the top edge strip below the drip rail and the lower door seals on the sill. But the door bumpers in the B pillar would interfere with any rear edge seal.

I took mine out yesterday for a quick drive and it was pretty drafty. Gotta get my heater installed!
41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #51
Vic Piano

Another excellent adventure with photos to match! Thanks for continuing to post all your travels, I really enjoy reading about them and seeing the super photos.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #52
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Fordor View Post
Resurrected this thread to see: Henry do you have door edge weatherstrip? My 41 Fordor has the top edge strip below the drip rail and the lower door seals on the sill. But the door bumpers in the B pillar would interfere with any rear edge seal.

I took mine out yesterday for a quick drive and it was pretty drafty. Gotta get my heater installed!
I do have the authentic weather stripping. As you can see in this picture it is installed at the door edge so that it does not hit the door bumpers.

You can see in this picture where the weather stripping lands outside of the door bumper.

You also have to make sure to include the pieces of weather stripping that "bridge the gap" between the door edge weather stripping and the weather stripping at the edge of the floor where the door hits.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-03-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #53
41Fordor

Thanks!
41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #54
40 Deluxe

Very enjoyable reading and excellent photography, but I cringed when I read that you are running SAE 40 oil! How long do you think the cylinder walls and rings essentially ran without oil, until that "molasses" got warm enough to splash up on the cylinder walls? Too long! (Especially with the choke out, washing down the cylinders with liquid gasoline)! Ford recommended 10W oil in the winter as I recall, so why not use a 10W-40 oil, at least during the winter? Henry will thank you as his engine would last a lot longer!
Forcing that engine to start with that 40 oil is like whipping a horse to try to make him gallop through belly-deep snow.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #55
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Very enjoyable reading and excellent photography, but I cringed when I read that you are running SAE 40 oil! How long do you think the cylinder walls and rings essentially ran without oil, until that "molasses" got warm enough to splash up on the cylinder walls? Too long! (Especially with the choke out, washing down the cylinders with liquid gasoline)! Ford recommended 10W oil in the winter as I recall, so why not use a 10W-40 oil, at least during the winter? Henry will thank you as his engine would last a lot longer!
Forcing that engine to start with that 40 oil is like whipping a horse to try to make him gallop through belly-deep snow.
Good point. I'll probably do things differently next time.
I have kept the S.A.E. 40 in during the winter because the car is kept in an insulated garage that rarely gets below 60°, the lowest temperature the S.A.E. 40 is rated for. That one morning was the only "cold start" it had and will probably have this winter. Still, I'll probably put thinner oil in next winter even if it's just for one "cold start."

Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by Old Henry; 01-21-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #56
1949FORD

Now, that is one beautiful car! once you put it in front of a snowy background, it just makes your jaw drop. Impeccable!
1949FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #57
barnfind08

Thanks for the visual roadtrip you are one brave guy. Had to forward this to some friends. At the moment it is -4 outside. Keep your adventures coming they are a great read.
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #58
Kentf1003

Great stories and photos. Made my day. Thanks.
Kentf1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #59
Ross F-1

I spent a couple of days in Milford in 1981, doing geothermal mapping out on the basin. It looks much better in these pictures than it did then, which is surprising. It's an interesting area, geologically, and the desolation is shocking even compared to NM.