Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
iJoemac

Default Model A cowl lamps

I have just ordered cowl lamps for my 1928 model A tudor. It seems the mounting location and methology is some kind of mystery to be left up to my imagination.

So far I have figured out that they actually mount to some kind of brace I will have to fabricate inside of the cowl and just slip through a hole in the cowl itself. Anybody got any info, measurements, inside pictures of a proper installation anywhere?

Many thanks for any help or direction.

Regards
-Joemac
iJoemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Model A cowl lamps

On my '31, I thought the same thing about the "brace", only to find out that it was already there when I opened up the kick panels. May be different for the '29.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
jrelliott

On my '28 Briggs Body had to find a different brace that had the correct mounting hole for the large nut at the end of the cowl lights. When you make the hole in the body suggest you use a GreenLee chasis punch as it will not distort the metal as much as a drill bit. After installing the correct brace thread the nut that holds the cowl light to the bracket and using a nail mark the correct point to drill the hole for the GreenLee Chasis punch to attach. Makes a clean accurate hole in body.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
CarlG

I used a step drill bit, worked just fine (they aren't cheap, but were cheaper than a Greenlee punch). Also, the vendors have a centering tool that I used to position the exact location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step drill bit.jpg (18.6 KB, 25 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
jrelliott

Found complete instructions for installing the cowl lights in "Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook Volume 2" Section 4 page 19. There is a special bracket required and a picture of the bracket is shown in Figure 4-31. Hopefully someone near you will have this book. If not let me know, and can send you scanned copies if you send me you email address.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
ctvpa

I did this, yes there is a brace that goes inside the car. http://www.mikes-afordable.com/miva/...gory_Code=1048

It is not a small job, you will have to paint these, and they go onto the upper part of the cowl where it attaches to the gas tank. They do make a thing to mark for the drill, but I used a dowel with a nail dead center to mark for the hole. You have a little forgivness with the grommit, but if the holes are not exact, you see it. Too far forward, your crosseyed. You will also have to run a wire, they have a harness that will do the correct on and off with high or low beams etc, but I went into the switch at the end of steering and came off a hot lead.
If you are running turn signals, you cannot run the connection off the headlights. When I did it made the voltage unbalanced and my directional lights would not work.

Last edited by ctvpa; 01-17-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: misspelled word
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
ford3

if there is any space between the cowl panel and the brace you will need to put a wood spacer there so when you tighten the cowl lite nut it wont bend the outside of the cowl panel in and cause a dent
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
iJoemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrelliott View Post
Found complete instructions for installing the cowl lights in "Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook Volume 2" Section 4 page 19. There is a special bracket required and a picture of the bracket is shown in Figure 4-31. Hopefully someone near you will have this book. If not let me know, and can send you scanned copies if you send me you email address.
Thanks JR. Private message sent with email address.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
iJoemac

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment.

Last edited by iJoemac; 01-18-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
iJoemac

Thanks to jrelliot I now have the necessary information at hand and shall submit photos of the installation after it is done. Now that I see how the reinforcing bracket actually mounts it makes sense to me and I have ordered a pair. As is usually the case it is a very simple and straight forward once you "see the light".
Old 01-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
iJoemac

BTW 28-29 is totally different than 30-31.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
dave in australia

The brace doubler panels are available from the reputable parts sellers. From them, you can reverse engineer the location for the holes in the cowl.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
29 Tudor

Can't find Les' book Volume II. It's here someplace... really! I have the brackets for my '29 and I marked and (using a Greenlee 5/8 punch) punched the hole for the lamp bracket. I understand I will need to open the hole for the shaft of the light (~7/8) to clear the lamp mount. The mystery to me is the grommet that goes around the mount. If I make the hole in the cowl big enough for the grommet, it will be about 1.2 inches. Is that correct or does the grommet get cut in half and fastened (glued?) to the outside of the cowl?

If the hole for the grommet needs to be that big, why do they tell you to punch the hole to 5/8 and enlarge it to 7/8? I'm missing something... that's probably covered in the book I can't find!

TIA,

Steve
29 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
iJoemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJoemac View Post
Thanks to jrelliot I now have the necessary information at hand and shall submit photos of the installation after it is done. Now that I see how the reinforcing bracket actually mounts it makes sense to me and I have ordered a pair. As is usually the case it is a very simple and straight forward once you "see the light".
Oooops, mucho later I see I said I would post pictures. I did, but over on the HAMB. If anyone is stuck and needs pictures check over there.... If need be I can re-post them here.

The grommets should be a snug fit on the shaft and a snug fit in the cowl. Do not cut the grommets. The shaft actually mounts to the inner reinforcing bracket and the cowl grommet offers some secondary support only.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #15
29 Tudor

I found the book and see it says to cut the hole to 1 1/4 which will clear the grommet. The thing that confused me was Bratton's site when they said to punch the hole to 5/8 and enlarge it to 7/8. I don't know what's up with that but now I've got a 5/8 hole to center a 1 1/4 punch over.......

Wish I'd found the book before I started....

Steve
Old 06-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #16
Dave Mellor NJ

Cowl lights are only correct on Fordors and cabriolets in 28 and 29. That's why they don't have the braces already there. A lot of people put them on and that's fine but you'll lose in a show if that matters,
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:10 AM   #17
29 Tudor

Thanks Dave. I'm not looking to have the csr judged.anyway.

Steve
Old 06-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #18
Fred A

I have two cars that regrettably have cowl lights. Thought they looked great as a teen, but now that so many As that never had them originally have punched holes in their cowl, they just look like bad taste now. Fords were inexpensive plain wrap vehicles with fewer accessories. As the depression ground on, a desperate Ford introduced Deluxe models.Good luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #19
Gunmetal blue2

On my 1929 Town Sedan I had to push real hard to get it in the hole and it stops against the bracket inside the cowl.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #20
29 Tudor

Got them done today. A friend had a 1 1 /4 Greenlee so it was an easy job once I installed the brackets and used the tool to mark the correct spot. I called Bratton's to tell them their page was wrong in suggesting that the hole was to be 5/8 opened up to 7/8. They said they knew that...... Also, the "tool" they sell now to mark the spot is about .600 in diameter. The hole in the bracket is .500. They said they didn't know that. Glad I had a lathe. The tool wouldn't have been much good at .600. Job's done, lights wired for front turn signals. All is good.

SD