Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
drpepper1885

Default Rear brake backing plate

Hello,

Is there a way to remove the rear backing plate for the service brakes without having to disconnect the radius rod or the service brake/emergency brake arms?

Alternatively, how difficult is it to put the emergency brake arm spring on once the backing plate is on the axle? (This assumes that I have to remove the emergency brake arm to remove the backing plate and that I am able to maneuver the service brake arm through the radius arm wishbone.) It seems like putting that spring on while the backing plate is on the car will be very difficult at best.

As always, I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
drpepper1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
montanafordman

Default Re: Rear brake backing plate

Yes you will have to remove the emergency brake arms - its bolted on, not pinned so its not an issue really. The radius rods are held to the axle by the same bolts that hold the backing plate on but can remain on the axle. I recently pulled mine off and havn't put it all back together yet so I can't comment on the emergency brake springs but I hear they are a bear to get back on. There is a thread about that here:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63872

good luck!
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
drpepper1885

Thanks for the info. It sounds like most folks are leaving the radius rods on when working on the backing plate. The tradeoff is that you have to fight the emergency brake arm spring.
drpepper1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
CountrySquire55

Here is what I did before installing the rear brake drums. For installing the emergency brake lever springs (there is a left and right spring), once all the emergency brake parts are on the car, do not yet connect the emergency brake connecting lever to the emergency brake toggle lever. This will give you about 3/4" more rearward movement of the toggle lever which makes all the difference. Lying under the car, I then used a tack removal tool (similar to a flat screwdriver with a notch cut in the end) to push the hook of the emergency brake spring over the toggle lever. With the extra 3/4" to work with, installing the spring takes about 10 seconds. Then, with the spring installed, you can easily pry the connecting lever to align with the hole on the toggle lever and install the connecting pin, cotter pin, and then install the drum.
CountrySquire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
Pilotdave

I used a method very similar to this.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
CarlG

I finally got my springs on. I used several of the suggestions noted here and on the thread noted above -- as well as a very detailed explanation from Rusty and PilotDave. Thanks to all!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote