Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
3739ford

Default Sick Feeling

I have this heavy sick feeling in the bottom of my stomach. Got my rebuild 276 ready to fire up for first time and could not get oil pressure when turning it over with starter. Dropped the oil pan and removed the oil pump and the gasket for the oil pickup was suspect, put back together and had oil pressure.

Could not get fuel pump to prime so removed and had one of the valves turned wrong way. changed direction and had gas shooting out fuel pump.

Engine started easy 45 lbs oil pressure and was idling fine and gasket on oil filter housing lid was leaking; oil everywhere took 3 tries to get sealed.

Started the engine and let warm up to 180 degrees no issues smooth running. Cut off and let set overnight and then retorqued head bolts next day. Started up fine and then oil pressure line had a defect from factory and sprayed oil all over the engine and shop. Repaired that and now I'm ready to restart.

Started the engine and let warm up started checking the timing and move the distributor to far and engine died. Hit the switch again and started made awful sound (used starter) as engine started. Took starter off and bearing and parts from starter where inside transmission (AOD) got all the metal out I could find with magnet and bought a new starter. Started the engine yesterday evening and something definitely has broke inside the engine. Got that sick feeling it is major. Going to walk away for couple of days before dropping oil pan to see what is.
3739ford is offline   Reply With Quote