Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #21
Fredb_

Default Re: Driving California Highway 1

Nice video. My wife and I drove that road a few years ago in a Mazda Miata. It seems the scenery went by a bit faster on that trip. Next year you'll be in my neck of the woods then. Thanks for sharing.
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #22
39topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Hopper's painting was actually the Two Lights Lighthouse on Cape Elizabeth in Maine.

His painting:

The actual lighthouse:

The Pigeon Point Lighthouse is actually a Hostel with 4 buildings to accommodate up to 60 people. More info here: http://www.norcalhostels.org/pigeon
I see what you mean. My painting is a little different viewpoint.

Last edited by 39topless; 01-23-2016 at 12:01 AM.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #23
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith oh View Post
Prof. Henry, How did you (or did you) solve the mysterious missing you had us all trying to solve?
The worst of it went away after replacing the spark plug wires and very worn inner distributor cap and rotor. The problem came back with a vengeance when I got down to lower elevations and plagued me for a day and a half before thinking it might have something to do with timing. I run my distributor and mechanical advance vacuum brake all the way advanced up at 5,000 feet and above where I live and mostly drive. When I finally stopped and took 5 minutes to retard the timing back to normal the problem went away again and I had so much power I couldn't believe it. It came back again a little bit when I got back up to higher elevations and home. I opened up the distributor and examined it and the rotor.

There was obvious signs of the rotor rubbing on the terminals. I consulted with Jim at Bubba's and filed the end of the rotor down just slightly to smooth it off and keep it from rubbing. I also adjusted the vacuum brake to retard the advance earlier. Those things seem to have all but eliminated the problem. It's still there just slightly on a long hill climb but hardly noticeable and certainly not enough to fuss about any more.

One thing neither Jim or I could figure out is the red powder in the distributor cap. I thought it might be from the posts but he didn't think so. I cleaned it all out before re-installing just in case it was metallic and could provide a path for spark to stray.

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-13-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #24
Mtn Wudy

I knew we (The Barn ) were going to be in store for another photo traveloge from Ol Henry soon..I say this because we had friends traveling to visit us from SoCal...They traveled the I-15 Northbound and passed you going south...When they got here he told me .."I saw your buddy from the Ford Barn headin' south on the I-15".....I had sent the link to view your travels to him...Thanks again for taking the time to post your travels ....Come this direction in the spring and we'll ride the Durango & Silverton Railroad....Carl
Old 11-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #25
Talkwrench

Thanks for bringing back some greats memories. So what did you think of Hearst castle Henry . Did you go through solvang? I'm going to look at your vids now thanks for sharing again..
Old 11-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #26
corvette8n

Enjoyed your pictures and videos, makes me want to take a road trip.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #27
Binx

Awesome trip Henry! I've done part of that trip from San Luis Obispo North to S.F. We drove back to Pacifica each night to a hotel. My wife insisted. She felt safe there.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #28
2935ford

Now that brings back a flood of memories!

I lived in SoCal for many, many years and did the trip you just did many times.....granted not in a cool old Ford.

Thanks.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #29
mercman from oz

Old Henry, You have once again provided some great pictures of your drive up Highway 1 in California. Just as well you didn't plan this trip in June, as that is when the fogs come in. The locals call it the "June Gloom". The attached pictures were taken in June 2013. The fog really spoils this great scenery at this time of year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0046 (2).jpg (60.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0155 (2).jpg (52.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0156 (2).jpg (51.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0214 (2).jpg (30.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0217 (2).jpg (27.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg USA 768.jpg (29.4 KB, 18 views)
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #30
Mike in AZ

another great experience shared.....thanks....looks like Pepe needs some kickin' shades....lol.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:26 PM   #31
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Wudy View Post
I knew we (The Barn ) were going to be in store for another photo traveloge from Ol Henry soon..I say this because we had friends traveling to visit us from SoCal...They traveled the I-15 Northbound and passed you going south...When they got here he told me .."I saw your buddy from the Ford Barn headin' south on the I-15".....I had sent the link to view your travels to him....Carl
That's amazing. Thanks for sharing that with me. I had no idea my fame had spread so far and wide.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #32
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
. . . So what did you think of Hearst castle Henry . Did you go through solvang? ..
As far as Hearst's Castle, I'm not a big fan of Mediterranean architecture and sculpture, which he loved and loaded his place with. I figure he did about the same as some of our barners do that love flatheads, load their places with them. I've often said when touring huge houses of dead men, "If you want to build a monument to yourself that will last forever and preserve your memory to the world for all time, build the biggest, most unique mansion that you can afford." Looks like it worked pretty well for him. Personally, I'd rather tour the ancient medieval castles of Europe and the British Isles myself.

Didn't go through Solvang. Stuck right on Highway 1 the whole way.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #33
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
Awesome trip Henry! I've done part of that trip from San Luis Obispo North to S.F. We drove back to Pacifica each night to a hotel. My wife insisted. She felt safe there.

Lonnie
With Pepe along, we pretty much stick to Motel 6. They actually cater to pet travelers - reserve the ground floor for them, and always welcome them with no extra charge. Plus, they're usually as cheap or cheaper than any where else in town.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #34
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
Now that brings back a flood of memories!

I lived in SoCal for many, many years and did the trip you just did many times.....granted not in a cool old Ford.

Thanks.
I only saw three other vintage cars on the trip - one 1959 Austin/Healy bug-eyed Sprite totally cherried out, with two Chihuahuas on board, going my way that I visited with at one stop for a while. And a couple of 50's customized coming the other way.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:06 PM   #35
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
. . . Just as well you didn't plan this trip in June, as that is when the fogs come in. The locals call it the "June Gloom". The attached pictures were taken in June 2013. The fog really spoils this great scenery at this time of year.
That takes me back to a two week tour I took singing in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir one June years ago. One of our stops was at the Golden Gate National Park on the south side to film the choir with the bridge in the background for a DVD that we were doing for the National Parks Service. We sat there for 5 hours waiting for the fog to clear then finally gave it up and let the techies add the bridge without fog in the studio. Here's the rest of that story: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/6...ir.html?pg=all

The choir waiting for the fog to lift:

The bridge during the 5 hour filming session:

Sure hope we have better luck driving Highway 1 north from San Francisco to Newport, Oregon next June.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #36
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
....looks like Pepe needs some kickin' shades....lol.....Mike
How 'bout a pair of Doggles?

Old 11-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #37
cmbrucew

In southern California we have May gray, as well as June gloom. In the early 1960's you could see San Diego from 26th street in San Pedro, and Catalina Island year round.
Bruce
Old 11-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #38
GB SISSON

Thanks for posting your amazing travels. It always makes my evening when we get another installment and the excellent photos make your posts even better.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:30 AM   #39
al's28/33

Professor!!! So very glad your trip Way out West was an overall pleasurable adventure. Especially the steep hills and congested streets of San Francisco. Blessings to you for your courageous efforts and thank you so much for posting!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:14 AM   #40
Lawrie

Henry,
You make me want to get going in the 33 again,its been a week since we had it out for a drive (couple of hundred miles).
I always show my family your posts and trips,great.
When that 46 was new you could have driven it to Australia.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote