Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
WTSHNN

Default How to sell a Model A Pickup...

This came through in this morning's Hemmings Blog Email and I thought some of you might appreciate the creativity, freshness and honesty...

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...up/?refer=news

It will fetch the morning paper, another case of ale or a three-story, gilded plastic bowling trophy the minute you rattle the keys.

And funny, come to think of it, on several occasions, all at the same time. Cosmetically restored about fifteen years ago, this truck has been recently refurbished so that everything runs more faithfully than my dog. It has more integrity than my local congressman, is more dependable than my mailman and more truthful than a lifetime of marriage. It hides nothing, works harder than the county chain gang and never asks for shady rest alongside any road. Mechanically, this truck is excellent and true, with little to worry. I finished the mechanical restoration recently hoping it would run circles around my Lionel standard gauge trains if only I could figure how to squeeze it on the platform. I’m a retired truck mechanic with no more daily grease under my nails and almost too much time on my hands to be practical.

Brisk and snappy, this truck never lost its soul.

It is mostly original short of mechanical refurbishment as needed from the spares found at Bratton’s and Snyder’s where every part is available down to the last cotter pin. This Ford has become comfortable in warm, dry storage and being run regularly. The motor is bank-vault tight, with no crankcase blow by, and will tick over all day. I’ve rebuilt the carb and replaced the water pump. It steers like an arrow on rails, with a straight frame, tight king pins and no steering slop or suspension sag. The steering box rebuilt, the tires fresh and the brake system reconditioned, it will stop faster than anyone lost texting nearby in a modern car. The lights work and the interior is neat as a pin as all the gauges: fuel, amp, speedometer and odometer, never fail. This truck has about a thousand miles on it since the repaint to enjoy working any mechanical bugs out and fine tune.

The body is all metal with no plastic filler. The enamel paint is professional enough to keep the judges bestowing honor and show every handprint when my car-crazy grandkids climb in and out. The detachable huckster canopy of oak matches the cab roof perfectly. The bed is replaced with new wood and the trunk has a period tool set and crank, along with manuals, a spare starter and generator. The lenses and tail light are correct and actually work well enough to get you home safely after last call. A man will never be left thirsty or stranded when a Model A truck stands ready to post bond.

This truck will last longer than you will. Surely, it’s not on its first date, but it has never been hammered hard down at the quarry and put away rusting wet. Get out the fine-toothed comb and let’s walk around… There’s a half dime-sized puncture tear that’s repairable in the brown seat back cover, acceptable random chips along the black running boards, a small frozen out-of-sight stress crack in the windshield glass along the bottom edge and a slight driver’s door gap at the top of the frame that reminds me these characters were hand-made from forest and ore. What bugs are there left to squash? The window regulators could be tightened up as they will slide down when rattled and the metal floor pan under the bench seat could use a wire-brushing and repaint. It is the only spot in all the sheetmetal that has a few small pitted holes.

The Model A is such a delightful form of analog simplicity, but my favorite contraption is still my next one. Springtime is madness and I’m quietly saying good buy after having the pleasure of understanding what Henry was thinking inside and out. One never owns these pleasures, they seem to only be shared among friends.

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Muttley

Default Re: How to sell a Model A Pickup...

I would kill for that truck............seriously. If anyone needs their Mother In Law taken out let me know.
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
BudP

I love creative writing! I have to wait for the building of my second garage before I can even think about buying anything more: too many cars in the driveway now!
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
CHuDWah

Also on the Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Never...item27c97e3e2d

Was on there a while back (apparently didn't sell) with an equally entertaining description. Guy claims to be a retired diesel mechanic and, from the pix of his truck, I believe him - but he definitely missed his calling as a writer. If I had the garage space, that truck would be in it!
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
FL&WVMIKE

WTSHNN ...................
That was really clever. It, actually, makes you want to go see it, even if you don't plan to buy it.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
a sedan

Great stuff funny stuff. Sounds like a good deal. Got to love the description....
a sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Also on the Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Never...item27c97e3e2d

Was on there a while back (apparently didn't sell) with an equally entertaining description. Guy claims to be a retired diesel mechanic and, from the pix of his truck, I believe him - but he definitely missed his calling as a writer. If I had the garage space, that truck would be in it!
Looks like it sold on EBay for $15k.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
mccsix

Talking Re: How to sell a Model A Pickup...

Newbie here and the new owner of this p/u. As an oldtimer I have always had a love for the A. I owned a '28 sedan back in the 70's when I was in the Navy and wound up driving all around the suburbs of Chicago in the dead of winter...never let me down.
I'm looking forward to fine tuning this little jewel, after 40+ years of 55-57 Chevy resto work. The seller says this is not an orig Huckster; the guy he bought it from in Ohio hand made the top.He sure did a great job.
Anyway I just wanted to say hello in my first post.
Gene
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
Newbie here and the new owner of this p/u. As an oldtimer I have always had a love for the A. I owned a '28 sedan back in the 70's when I was in the Navy and wound up driving all around the suburbs of Chicago in the dead of winter...never let me down.
I'm looking forward to fine tuning this little jewel, after 40+ years of 55-57 Chevy resto work. The seller says this is not an orig Huckster; the guy he bought it from in Ohio hand made the top.He sure did a great job.
Gene

Congratulations! Looks like you got a nice little truck for a reasonable price. I used to have a 30 but I always liked those 28-29 square cabs.

Ford never made a huckster - those bodies were made by aftermarket builders or homemade and put on a Ford chassis. Ford did offer an optional top similar to yours.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
WTSHNN

Quote:
owned a '28 sedan back in the 70's when I was in the Navy and wound up driving all around the suburbs of Chicago in the dead of winter...never let me down.
Gene
You still in Chicago?

-Tim (on the Southside...)
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
dean from bozeman

Gene (mccsix), congratulations purchasing a great truck. Welcome back to Model A's and the Fordbarn

Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Gene
Hi Gene! Best of luck to you with new addition!!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
mccsix

Not in Chic town any longer, joined the Navy in Glenview and retired in Pensacola...traded the snow for heat, humidity and palmetto bugs.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote