Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
V12Bill

Default 1939 Pickup center grille moulding

I have been fortunate enough to pick up the rare center moulding for the grille. It was bent like a pretzel, but I think I can make it look presentable. My problem is , how does it attach to the grille? I know that there is a rivet top and bottom, but my grille shell has 3 holes in the center bar and only one is centered. The others are off center. I will probable use a T bolt, but I am curious as to how Henry did it.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: 1939 Pickup center grille moulding

Good question. I have a badly bent up center piece for my 39 pick up grille and the center hole does not line up. Currently I do not have the center stainless piece on my grille. Frank PKNY could tell us. He has a beautifully restored 39 pickup. Also Toby Lampert could also tell us how this piece is attached to the grille.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
jrhaelig

I think I can help - sort of.

I have a fairly twisted piece in a box. It has wire clips that spread into the folded -over edge of the trim, then cross over to make a diamond shaped tip that is pushed through those holes in the center bar of the grille. Once through, they expand and hold the piece on tight.

If you can't fabricate the clips, perhaps you can make a couple of sheet metal sliders with a stud tacked onto it.

I am still going to try the aluminum bar stock with aluminum studs welded on - when I get around to it.

Aren't there trim straightener professionals out there? Saw one on TV, but he's in England!
1963 Lincoln Continental
1939 Buick
jrhaelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaelig View Post
I think I can help - sort of.

I have a fairly twisted piece in a box. It has wire clips that spread into the folded -over edge of the trim, then cross over to make a diamond shaped tip that is pushed through those holes in the center bar of the grille. Once through, they expand and hold the piece on tight.

If you can't fabricate the clips, perhaps you can make a couple of sheet metal sliders with a stud tacked onto it.

I am still going to try the aluminum bar stock with aluminum studs welded on - when I get around to it.

Aren't there trim straightener professionals out there? Saw one on TV, but he's in England!
If I knew of a guy who could take an original and fabricate an exact duplicate from stainless I would entertain that idea also. I don't know of anyone off hand.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
V12Bill

Yes there are people that straighten stainless, but the price would be out of this world!! I have about 40 hours into the piece that I have and I am not halfway done and I know that it will not be perfect. A professional would not undertake this job because he knows what the end result will be. I am attempting this repair because I have had some experience in the past and have gotten satisfactory results. Considering the availability of this piece and my past experience, I am attempting the repair on my own.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
oldandtired

The 39 center stainless is difficult to work on because it is so thin compared to the stainless used in years 34-37 on pickup grills. The grill surround for 38 and 39 is also very thin. When restored, it often looks like a mirror with a flaw in it.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote