Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2017, 02:09 AM   #21
kiwitony

Default Re: Sad day

Very sad to see,it looked like a lovely car. I hope it was insured. Assuming so if it is totalled the money can be used to buy another. I don't know if your insurance systems are the same as here in New Zealand but I have negotiated with the assessers to buy the car back in write off cases [totalled] several times. This means you have the car you know back. You can then buy another car good body bad mechanicals etc and swap over the bits or repair your car. There is still a lot of good on your car. A bodyman will quote high to the insurance company to cover his ass. Hope it all works out. Cheers Tony.
kiwitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:40 AM   #22
tinman080

kiwitony is absolutely correct- After the negotiations have ended you can purchase the vehicle back, usually around 25% of agreed-on value. You get a check for 75% of value, plus your car. The insurance company will appraise the value of your car, if you plan on negotiating the value then spring a few bucks and get an appraisal yourself with a known appraisal service (letterhead, etc.) Usually the hint of a bodily injury claim or the stalling of a settlement ''in case something comes up'' will move a property damage claim along, if a stalling point is hit. Be honest in your expectations, honest in your presentation, and your results will be better than they would be otherwise. I retired after a 40+ years autobody career. The car looks like a 5 out of 10, damage-wise. It was hit above the running board. A good body shell, 2 doors, a running board and one fender, and you could be smelling smoke. A newly redone car is much easier to repair than a 2 or 3 year old restoration. Your replacement work would ''fall right in'' as far as ageing and presentation to viewers. As far as the chassis work, I wouldn't think too much, a bent wheel, possibly the axle flange and body mount points could be damaged somewhat. It's easy to look and advise, you are there...lol. Tell your friend Best of Luck!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #23
Frank Miller

I may be wrong but this is one reason why we need to keep our personal insurance appraisal as high as possible. I would be afraid of another insurance company telling me I only had it insured for one amount when I was asking for much more as it was their client's fault.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #24
AZ Chris

Here are some additional pictures. Good thing he was wearing a seat belt because he would have been thrown for sure.

AZ Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #25
2935ford

The best thing.....no one seriously hurt. There are other 40's out there but just one of you!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #26
V12Bill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Looks like a good candidate for a complete body from Carpenter + a door and fender. Straighten the frame paint and go. Not a total.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #27
Karl

By my Fathers definition this was a "good" accident. When I was young he informed me after one of my fender benders that any accident that you all walk away from is a good one ! He was right but it sure hurts to look at the mangled metal -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #28
TJ

Wow sorry to see that happen, but it's perfect advertisement for needing seat belts in our old cars. If I was the owner I would not try to fix it. With that much damage the car will never be right. I have friends that have repaired major damage from an accident in their old cars and were never happy with the results.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #29
Sal

That sucks, I hate to see a beautiful car damaged by a moron. I was recently rear ended twice with in five days in my daily driver. I watched the first one in the rear view mirror, the guy was going forward and looking out his side window by the time I said oh sh_t he'd hit me. The second was at a stop light after traffic was well stopped. You start to get nervous about taking your car out with these morons out there.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #30
Bill

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208722 Just looking on the swap site pretty much all the repair parts are here. California parts to boot. Not for the faint of heart for sure. Settlement wise I would be digging in for $45/50K. Good luck with the insurance sharks... Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #31
TJ

I wouldn't settle anything until both of you are sure you don't have any injuries. Many times the injury does not show up right away. I'm hoping neither of you are injured, but if you are make sure you are back healthy before settling.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #32
fourtydlx

Send a message via Yahoo to fourtydlx

Sad Day. But the health is very Important, Can not buy it, So good luck
fourtydlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
By my Fathers definition this was a "good" accident. When I was young he informed me after one of my fender benders that any accident that you all walk away from is a good one ! He was right but it sure hurts to look at the mangled metal -Karl
Of course, we've heard SOME similar expressions with reference to airplanes. Like the one about any good landing being one where the pilot is able to walk away. But we should not overlook the "perfect" landing, which is any landing after which the airplane can be used again.

It saddens me much to see this little car like this. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #34
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Chris View Post

This was a really hard thumping! Look at the way the B pillar and door jamb are jacked to the passenger side several inches! Also see in another photo how the steering wheel is almost touching the door card. Tough old bird, but there are limits...

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #35
mhsprecher

Sad day for the car, happy day for the occupants.

I am glad to hear the riders were wearing seat belts. I put shoulder harness and belt in my 39 Fordor. I have never had a major accident and I hope never to have one, especially in one of my antiques!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #36
johnboy34

Also lucky the seat belt didn't squish him....
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #37
al's28/33

You were able to walk away from it on your own power. Sad for the car. My condolences. You have to be strong and move on.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #38
millersgarage

ouch.
Sorry to see this, but just let it go. Don't try to fix it.
Someone will buy it at auction, and make use of what's left.
millersgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #39
fourtydlx

Send a message via Yahoo to fourtydlx

I also hope every one is O.K. in Cal. you have to wait a few seconds before you GO,
fourtydlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #40
'36 5W

If you are having difficulties with his insurance co., use your own, especially if you have
a classic car carrier. Otherwise, you will never get a fair settlement! (Don't tune me out
yet; read on)

Tell your Co. you want them to SUBROGATE against the other Co. They will cover your
loss for the time being, saving you major time and Headaches, then file against his Co.
for their reimbursement.

And NO, this will NOT affect your rates or driving record!
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote