Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
32skip

Default Federal-Mogul heads

Did you guys see this on the HAMB.... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=876347

RARE Federal Mogul Bronze 21 stud Flathead heads
AS RARE AS IT GETS!
When was the last time you found a pair of absolutely mint Federal Mogul Thermal-Flow cylinder heads? They are the most unusual and one of the rarest cylinder heads ever made for the Ford flathead V8 motor. These heads are made of solid bronze-copper alloy and have no internal water jackets. Engine coolant exits the block out of the three larger holes located at the top of each head (one in the middle and one at either end) and is directed back to the radiator through external water manifolds which are included in this sale. Federal Mogul theorized that the bronze-copper alloy would permit maximum combustion temperature (power) and still dissipate sufficient heat to prohibit overheating of the motor. After WWII, Bob McGee used this same type of Federal Mogul heads on his now legendary flathead-powered 1932 Ford roadster, which today resides in the Bruce Meyer collection.

These heads were originally manufactured for the 1937 and early 1938 21-stud motor, but they will also work on a 1932 to 1936 Ford 21-stud motor. The heads themselves show no evidence of ever having been bolted onto a block and are in excellent condition. The two external water manifolds do show some minor water corrosion, but will be totally hidden by the rubber radiator hoses that attach to them. Historically, these unique cylinder heads represent a rare but significant aftermarket accessory for the Ford flathead V8; and they are an outstanding addition to any Ford flathead speed equipment collection. These are formerly from the Don Orosco collection. Contact French Lake auto parts at 320-274-8497. Ask for Ryan
Attached Thumbnails

AS RARE AS IT GETS!
When was the last time you found a pair of absolutely mint Federal Mogul Thermal-Flow cylinder heads? They are the most unusual and one of the rarest cylinder heads ever made for the Ford flathead V8 motor. These heads are made of solid bronze-copper alloy and have no internal water jackets. Engine coolant exits the block out of the three larger holes located at the top of each head (one in the middle and one at either end) and is directed back to the radiator through external water manifolds which are included in this sale. Federal Mogul theorized that the bronze-copper alloy would permit maximum combustion temperature (power) and still dissipate sufficient heat to prohibit overheating of the motor. After WWII, Bob McGee used this same type of Federal Mogul heads on his now legendary flathead-powered 1932 Ford roadster, which today resides in the Bruce Meyer collection.

These heads were originally manufactured for the 1937 and early 1938 21-stud motor, but they will also work on a 1932 to 1936 Ford 21-stud motor. The heads themselves show no evidence of ever having been bolted onto a block and are in excellent condition. The two external water manifolds do show some minor water corrosion, but will be totally hidden by the rubber radiator hoses that attach to them. Historically, these unique cylinder heads represent a rare but significant aftermarket accessory for the Ford flathead V8; and they are an outstanding addition to any Ford flathead speed equipment collection. These are formerly from the Don Orosco collection. Contact French Lake auto parts at 320-274-8497. Ask for Ryan
32skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Federal-Mogul heads

Not to be critical, or that it makes any difference, but the heads have been used, as you can see erosion from the gasket fire rings. Too rich for me, but they sure would make for great discussion feature on a hood less rod.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
rotorwrench

I prefer heads with lots of coolant passages in them. I bet those old heads run hot. When things are rare, it doesn't always mean that they were the hot smokin tip (hot & smoking in other ways maybe) unless you wanted to cook you breakfast on em.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-23-2014 at 05:56 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
bluardun

The sparkplug location eunique. Performance ??
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:54 AM   #5
Dodge

I think these were for Marine applications, probably would run cool enough with cold
lake water running thru the motor.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
JWL
Member Emeritus

The only set of these I have ever seen were on a stock car racer. But, I think they were 24 stud?? These might work good for 100 percent nitro but the spark plug needs relocated and a second one installed.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
Vic Piano

As I recall, Don Garlits has a set of these heads in his museum. They look cool but I doubt they would run cool...
Old 04-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
flatheadkid1

Federal Mogul made 2 versions of the copper heads. The first version had a copper deck with an aluminum water jacket. I believe that they had provisions for head mounted water pumps. Unfortunately I have no pictures to share.
flatheadkid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
32skip

Price dropped.... Bet they sell now
Old 05-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Fred A

Got a nice pair out of the Jerry Hill estate in Santa Monica. Looked great, but nobody wanted them. After selling the heads for $250 the real money came for the water manifolds. Useless as boar... Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
32skip

our ears are open $$....