Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Bob NH

Default Too often oil changes

I guess this has been talked about before on the "Barn". I need to ask some opinions again. My car was probably not driven more that 100 miles total last year. It has rested in a warm basement all winter and in the unlikely event that winter should possibly end before July 4th, I might like to take it out once again. Do I really need to change out that almost new oil ? (new oil and filter last year) Seems like a waste ?
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Too often oil changes

NO, if you had previously run it long/far enough to remove the condensate it should be ok, some truck shops can test oils for contaminants and acids. You could always drain out the old fresh oil and use it in the lawnmowers or beater rigs you might own.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
AnthonyG

Anybody ever consider full synthetic oil? I believe I have read that it doesn't absorb the contaminates or moisture as oil as there is no oil in the full synthetic. I have a '35 with a modified '48 Flatty and as I use the full synthetic and have for years in my everyday vehicles successfully am considering it. I have a 1998 SUV with 250K miles synthetic since new with no engine work still running great.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
prpmmp

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/ All you would want to know about oil(and some) sorry if it was posted before but its good reading!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
prpmmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Anybody ever consider full synthetic oil? I believe I have read that it doesn't absorb the contaminates or moisture as oil as there is no oil in the full synthetic. I have a '35 with a modified '48 Flatty and as I use the full synthetic and have for years in my everyday vehicles successfully am considering it. I have a 1998 SUV with 250K miles synthetic since new with no engine work still running great.
I run 5-30 Syntec oil in my 8BA!!
Pete
Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
AnthonyG

Pete, how long have you been running the synthetic in the Flatty? How many miles do you run it before changing?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
prpmmp

Quote:
Pete, how long have you been running the synthetic in the Flatty? How many miles do you run it before changing?
New rebuild(500 Miles on straight non detergent 30 grade with zinc additive)about 1000 miles so far on 5-30 Syntec.Funny thing is I had a small leak at the rear of the oil pan(Who would have thought). I put in the 5-30 synthetic and leak is gone.(don't understand it but it stop leaking,also put zinc additive with the synthetic) Plain to change the oil at 3000 miles then go to 5000(or at least once a year) Has stock oil filtration system. Pete
Old 03-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
mrtexas

Quote:
Not true. Synthetic gets contaminated just like petroleum lube oil. By synthetic you mean Mobil 1 made by a chemical plant from ethylene? The other brands are synthetic in the sense that the petroleum vacuum gas oils were made into lubes by being hydrocracked. This has been done as the supply of "lube" style crudes is not what it used to be.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Mart

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't think it necessary to change the oil in the original poster's circumstances.

My old 21stud operates on a constant loss through flow system. It never needs changing, I just keep adding more fresh stuff. Heaven knows where it goes.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
Bob NH

Mart, your answer makes me chuckle. I have an Ariens snow blower with that same system ! It does not smoke but uses oil a bit so I just check it every time and add when needed. ( I do service it each fall) Of course this winter I just leave it idling in the garage waiting for the next storm.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
RKS.PA

Bob, I don't have the knowledge that many who post here do, but it's hard for me to imagine that the new oil you put in last year with only 100 miles and the fact that it was filtered would be inferior to a complete oil change now. Seems like you'd be throwing perfectly good oil away. JMO!

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #12
Bob NH

Thats kinda what I thought also. Just wanted to throw it up in the air and see how many would salute it !
Old 03-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
Cecil/WV

I wouldn't change it!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
Sid the Maineiac

Bob,no wonder that snowblower uses some oil after idling all winter !!! lol This winter has been that bad up this way for sure !!
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote