Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Dal's Dream Car

Default Hinge pins?

Any tips on removing door hinge pins on a 29 Tudor so I can put the side views in? It was finish painted and I dont want to just start hammering on the bottom in fear of chipping the surrounding paint. Please tell me I dont need some special tool! Thanks all!
Dal's Dream Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
28ACoupe

Default Re: Hinge pins?

There is a tool for removing them. I just use a brass punch and a hammer though. Be careful if you do it this way. a lot of light taps will do the same work as a couple of heavy ones with a lot less possibility for damage.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
TommyCoupe

If the car is newly restored, you may be able to just punch them out, but I had absolutely NO LUCK getting the 80 year old pins out mine, even using the double bar tool that I bought.

Just be very careful, because I think part of my problem was that when I started hammering on the pins, they probably expanded like a rivet inside the hinge and made it more stuck.

Tommy-
TommyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Dal's Dream Car

Thanks Folks. Unfortunately I now need to know where to get some good Hunter Green Touch-up paint.
I even shaved off the top of the pin and hammered down and it still wont come out! Am I going to have to drill this sucker out?
Dal's Dream Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
28ACoupe

You should be able to get the touch up paint from a local paint shop.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

Try to get some acetone and automatic transmission fluid (50/50) into the pins and soak for a day or so (as long as it takes). Then try to drive it up. Make sure hinges tight to both body and door. Patience. If that doesn't work you will probably end up drilling.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I just drilled mine out on a restoration we started. Would not have attempted it after paint, had to few that came out easy and the tool sucks anyway..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Brubaker

Important to hammer UP. The pins are tapered down if I remember correctly. I'm a big fan of Kroil penetrant. Good luck.
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
rodnut1

Pins are straight, with a knurled spline on the top end that locks pin to outer hinge plate. Once these puppies have rusted into the door inner hinge and stripped the knurl, getting them out short of drilling is near impossible. You can also try an air impact hammer, but be careful. Use low air pressure to slow the hammer down..
rodnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Pastor Bill

I have recently removed the top hinge pins on my29 Tudor. I first ground the top and bottom of the pins so that I had flat surfaces. I then found the center of the pin, and used a 12inch long by 3/8 inch wide drill bit and drilled down from the top about 3/4 of an inch. I then used a punch on the bottom of the hinge pin, struck it with a hammer, and the pins came out very easily. It would be a good idea to apply some duct tape around the hinge so the edge go the grinder will not come in contact with any painted surfaces. I ground the bottom of the pin flat because it appeared to me that someone tried to remove the pins by striking them on the bottom, and "mushroomed" the bottom of the pin.

I hope this helps.
Pastor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
5window

Do a search here for pin removal tips. As a start, the pins have a knurled section just below the flared top that really holds them into the hinge-especially if they have been there for a while. The pins are NOT 1/4" diameter-look for proper replacements, though you might just want to use SS bolts if you're putting on side mirrors. If the pins are old, there is a good chance that they have worn a groove in the side of the pin,corresponding to a ridge on the hinge. If they are not coming out,try moving the door to several different degrees of opening. You have to find a place where the groove and ridge aren't mated to allow the pin to move, otherwise you are hammering pin against hinge-for a very long time.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Do a search here for pin removal tips. As a start, the pins have a knurled section just below the flared top that really holds them into the hinge-especially if they have been there for a while. The pins are NOT 1/4" diameter-look for proper replacements, though you might just want to use SS bolts if you're putting on side mirrors. If the pins are old, there is a good chance that they have worn a groove in the side of the pin,corresponding to a ridge on the hinge. If they are not coming out,try moving the door to several different degrees of opening. You have to find a place where the groove and ridge aren't mated to allow the pin to move, otherwise you are hammering pin against hinge-for a very long time.
Good tips above ... also the pins on my unrestored coupe measure 15/64ths so if you use a 1/4 inch punch the punch jams in the hole. Edited: This is why the removal tools are worth the money. Ever try and find a 15/64ths drift?

The replacement oversized pins I found measure a 1/4 inch so you only have 1/64 inch to play with when you are drilling!

Last edited by Benson; 06-27-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Father Mike

I put a side view mirror on my 29 Tudor last summer. I must say it was the most difficult thing that I have done thus far on the car. I used the special tool, a punch, a dril, a punch again, the special tool, a prayer, another prayer, a person to hold the door and a verity of uncomprehensible words. I finally stopped and wept. I was beaten by a door hinge pin. After a cold one and a moment to rest and regroup, I tried again. One last time, I lined up my punch, focused in and hit that pin with the hammer all the while belting out a primordial howl. All of a sudden... PING!... The hinge pin shot three feet into the air and I felt like I had just give birth. (You know like when you cry and giggle at the same time). Needless to say, there was much rejoicing. If there's anything I learned, it's persistence with those pins. Keep at it and they will eventually obay your will.
Father Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
Four Lazy C Boss

I studied this thread before purchasing hinge-mount mirrors for my 1930 Standard coupe. I bought some really nice mirrors from Mike's A-Fordable. They have one for the left side and a different one for the right side. I bought a hinge-removal tool from Snyder's that is like a C-Clamp with a hole at one end and comes with three steel dowel pins to push the old pin out with.

The tool worked great on one side, but on the other side the dowel pins just mushroomed on the ends and the pin wouldn't budge. It was a real nightmare. It seemed like the dowel pins that came with the tool were too soft. At one point I had one of the dowel pins stuck in the hinge too and couldn't get it out and struggled with a vice grips for about an hour before I finally pulled it out.

I ended up drilling the hinge pin out - from top and bottom using a long drill bit. There was very little clearance between my drill and the side of the car, but I was able to flex the bit a little to keep it straight and it stayed in the bore of the hinge without apparently damaging it. I don't think you should try to drive a stuck pin out with a punch, I think it just mushrooms the pin and makes it tighter. Also, I think you could damage the hinge by pounding on it. If you have a tough one, I recommend you just get a long drill bit - slightly smaller that the hole - and start drilling. Be sure to mask off with some thin cardboard so you don't ding up your paint. I did ding up the gloss black paint on the hinge itself a little bit, but I just sprayed it with a can of black gloss Rustoleum and it looked like a professional paint job.

In summary: Don't pound on it, and don't be afraid to drill if you can't push it out easily with a hinge removal tool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1156.jpg (56.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1157.jpg (51.1 KB, 41 views)

FOUR LAZY C BOSS

Four Lazy C Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:39 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

I would use a Dremel with a grinding wheel to remove the top and bottom of the pin, then drill in the EXACT center from the top and bottom to almost the center if the pin, with a bit just smaller than the pin diameter, say 3/16". But start the hole with a 1/8" bit, and be sure to keep it centered. By leaving about 1/4" of the pin undrilled in the center, you can use a punch to drive the rest of the pin out.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #16
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I would use a Dremel with a grinding wheel to remove the top and bottom of the pin, then drill in the EXACT center from the top and bottom to almost the center if the pin, with a bit just smaller than the pin diameter, say 3/16". But start the hole with a 1/8" bit, and be sure to keep it centered. By leaving about 1/4" of the pin undrilled in the center, you can use a punch to drive the rest of the pin out.
I'd give you better than even odds that I would end up with a small broken drill bit sticking out of the exact center of the pin!
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
I'd give you better than even odds that I would end up with a small broken drill bit sticking out of the exact center of the pin!
I don't have much trouble with 1/8" and larger bits, but with the smaller ones, I've broken more than my share.

Use oil and drill very carefully, and lift the bit to remove chips frequently helps to prevent breakage.

If I break a bit, then I use my Dremel and diamond bit to grind it away.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #18
billwill

There is a tool to remove hinge pins but its not good usually they have a wave goove that hoes themback good luck
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Contrary to the experience of others, I have had great luck with the hinge tool. I first sprayed the hinge pin with WD40 Penetrating Oil and let it sit overnight. The next day both pins pushed right out. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #20
glenn in camino

Get the kind of mirrors that clamp to the edge of the door. Leave the hinge pins in
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote