Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
31blackcoupe

Default ANSWERED-THANKS! Top Loader trans for 59ab, what fits?

My current project is putting a 59ab flathead in my '31 Model A. I have the trans that came with it, but it's a side loader. I would like to stay with a top loader (obviously), but I have no idea what year(s) transmissions will fit. My Model A was not stock when I bought it. The previous owner (?) put in a 4-speed! As near as I can tell it's a Borg Warner T-18(?). The drain and fill plugs are on the side and there is syncro-mesh in first gear. They fabbed a mounting plate to fit the A 4 banger. Anyone out there who can HELP with some info on what year 3 speed top loader will fit the 59ab OR if you think the T-18 will work, PLEASE let me know.
Thanks a whole lot,
art

Last edited by 31blackcoupe; 01-22-2015 at 11:46 AM. Reason: got my answer
31blackcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Top Loader trans for 59ab, what fits?

Almost most any year of top-loader should work fine. I'm assuming you referring to something like a 38 Ford top-loader?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
BlueSunoco

We've got a '39 toploader Ford 3-spd. tranny with our 59AB flattie works great.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
Binx

If you could take some pictures of the trans cross-member area that would help a bunch.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
Mac VP

If you still have the original Ford closed drive torque tube, a 39 toploader works fine behind the 59A flathead V8. If the car now has an open driveshaft, you will want the 42-52 light duty 3 speed toploader. You will have to use the clutch release shaft that matches your set up in that chassis. Several styles are available so it's easy to set up. We build both trans types.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
31blackcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Almost most any year of top-loader should work fine. I'm assuming you referring to something like a 38 Ford top-loader?
Yes, just didn't know what years would work.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
31blackcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
We've got a '39 toploader Ford 3-spd. tranny with our 59AB flattie works great.
Awesome, thanks! Is '39 the last year (newest) top loader made?
Old 01-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
31blackcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
If you could take some pictures of the trans cross-member area that would help a bunch.

Lonnie
Thanks Lonnie, um it's like -18 here right now and my garage is not heated! The cross member is stock for the 4 banger at this point, so any suggestions on modifying/building/purchasing a new on would be helpful. The frame has will not be narrowed or anything it's stock '31. I want to retain the traditional look as much as possible. I'm just one guy with a grinder and a welder trying to build old school, so any help would be great!
art
Old 01-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #9
31blackcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
If you still have the original Ford closed drive torque tube, a 39 toploader works fine behind the 59A flathead V8. If the car now has an open driveshaft, you will want the 42-52 light duty 3 speed toploader. You will have to use the clutch release shaft that matches your set up in that chassis. Several styles are available so it's easy to set up. We build both trans types.
Thanks for the reply, right now it's the stock torque tube. The tube looks shortened to accommodate the T-18. I'M hoping to still be able to use it since I won't be changing the rear end. Are you familiar with that trans.? (T-18) I will check out your website, too! Thanks again,
art
Old 01-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #10
bobH

Are you sure you have a T-18? A T-18 is a trans commonly used in Ford (& others, & Scouts) pickups, several years including 70's & 80's. It has a granny low, and is typically driven like a 3 speed, except when the granny is needed. It's popular with Jeep CJ-5 & 7 guys. It's also unnecessarily big & heavy. IMO, I don't think you would like it in a Model A. JMO
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31blackcoupe View Post
Awesome, thanks! Is '39 the last year (newest) top loader made?
Actually, essentially the same top loader trans was used in the light pick-ups through 1950. The '42s through '50s were of an open drive shaft variety, but a few easily-sourced parts are available to convert back to torque tube use. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

I am using a '39 top loader that I built ('37 #78 case, '48 gears, & '39 top) with a 284 ci 59 engine in a '35 tudor sedan. Everything bolts up and works well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59a284cid-55.JPG (58.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 59a284ci-103.jpg (76.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 352DrDelxHotRod-4.jpg (68.0 KB, 64 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #13
31blackcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
Are you sure you have a T-18? A T-18 is a trans commonly used in Ford (& others, & Scouts) pickups, several years including 70's & 80's. It has a granny low, and is typically driven like a 3 speed, except when the granny is needed. It's popular with Jeep CJ-5 & 7 guys. It's also unnecessarily big & heavy. IMO, I don't think you would like it in a Model A. JMO
Well, maybe it's not...I certainly don't have a granny low. From the numbers on the case and our friends at google, I came to the conclusion that it was a T-18. I'll post up the numbers here and maybe someone can identify it. The fill and drain plugs are on the side and first gear is syncro as compared to a T-19 which is non-syncro 1st. Or ???
Thanks for the reply in any case,
art
numbers off trans:
top of trans: GLA18033 side of trans.: G2804877 & T21008AA
shift tower: G2605317 & RFTR7222

Last edited by 31blackcoupe; 01-11-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: more information
Old 01-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
31blackcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Actually, essentially the same top loader trans was used in the light pick-ups through 1950. The '42s through '50s were of an open drive shaft variety, but a few easily-sourced parts are available to convert back to torque tube use. DD
Thanks, hopefully I can find the '39 and keep it fairly easy
Old 01-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #15
AnthonyG

Hey Art, I know I am going to get flack for this reply but wish some one had suggested / informed me when I was building mine, so here goes. Is the closed torque tube still in place or has the drive shaft and rear been converted to an open drive shaft. Sounds like the stock four banger is in the car now and you want to convert to a V8 Flatty? That being the case if some one has converted to an open drive shaft and rear you might want to keep it that way. With the open setup you can put in many varieties of 4 speeds or automatics by adapting the interface to the V8 Flatty / flywheel to accommodate the tranny you put in ( many adapter plates available ). Many like the top load tranny and the one to go with is the '39 if that's the way you want to go but drive someones V8 Flatty with the top load 3 speed then if you can do the same with someones conversion to a syncro 4 speed other than the granny gear type. I think you will choose the full syncro 4 speed. Way more fun to drive and if you ever need to work on the clutch or the tranny way easier to remove without rolling the entire drive train back to clear what you'll need to access these components. Your not going have a stock setup anyway as the '31's did not offer the V8. Wish I had researched it and knew what I know now when I built mine and I would have gone to the open drive shaft and a fully syncro 4 speed.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #16
31blackcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I am using a '39 top loader that I built ('37 #78 case, '48 gears, & '39 top) with a 284 ci 59 engine in a '35 tudor sedan. Everything bolts up and works well.
Wow! sweet motor and trans. Changing the internal gears is pretty advanced for me, but if a stock '39 trans will bolt right on to my bell housing, that I can do!
Thanks for the reply,
art
Old 01-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #17
31blackcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Hey Art, I know I am going to get flack for this reply but wish some one had suggested / informed me when I was building mine, so here goes. Is the closed torque tube still in place or has the drive shaft and rear been converted to an open drive shaft. Sounds like the stock four banger is in the car now and you want to convert to a V8 Flatty? That being the case if some one has converted to an open drive shaft and rear you might want to keep it that way. With the open setup you can put in many varieties of 4 speeds or automatics by adapting the interface to the V8 Flatty / flywheel to accommodate the tranny you put in ( many adapter plates available ). Many like the top load tranny and the one to go with is the '39 if that's the way you want to go but drive someones V8 Flatty with the top load 3 speed then if you can do the same with someones conversion to a syncro 4 speed other than the granny gear type. I think you will choose the full syncro 4 speed. Way more fun to drive and if you ever need to work on the clutch or the tranny way easier to remove without rolling the entire drive train back to clear what you'll need to access these components. Your not going have a stock setup anyway as the '31's did not offer the V8. Wish I had researched it and knew what I know now when I built mine and I would have gone to the open drive shaft and a fully syncro 4 speed.
t
Thanks for the reply Tony, yes the 4 banger is still in place with the torque tube. I'd really rather stay more "period correct" and go with the 3-speed '39 or earlier unit. I definitely don't want the truck 4-speed w/granny low. I know the open drive would provide me with lot's more options and modern convenience, but I'm staying with traditional. Just my preference. Thanks for the advice and any other tips would be appreciated-like cross member under the tranny? Fab new, modify old, or purchase @ $500+?
art
Old 01-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Mac VP #5 is one of the people to check with for transmissions, they sell parts and rebuild them.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #19
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31blackcoupe View Post
Wow! sweet motor and trans. Changing the internal gears is pretty advanced for me, but if a stock '39 trans will bolt right on to my bell housing, that I can do!
Thanks for the reply,
art
It's really not that difficult, especially if you have a copy of Mac VP's book. The last one I built (last May) I used an earlier '35-'36, #48 case and '46-'48 gears from a side load transmission. This was for a '36 Ford sedan. By using his existing case we were able to keep his serial number match correct on the frame and transmission. By using a '39 top with '36 shift lever, it looks original and shifts so much more positively into each gear than the stock '36 transmission shifted.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #20
31blackcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
It's really not that difficult, especially if you have a copy of Mac VP's book. The last one I built (last May) I used an earlier '35-'36, #48 case and '46-'48 gears from a side load transmission. This was for a '36 Ford sedan. By using his existing case we were able to keep his serial number match correct on the frame and transmission. By using a '39 top with '36 shift lever, it looks original and shifts so much more positively into each gear than the stock '36 transmission shifted.
Thank you for the reply, I will definitely purchase that book, you don't know until you try, right? Again, thank you for the advice.
art