Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Jimbo

Default Need help with tranny

My truck is in a million pieces and trying to go back together with it. I've got A 1950 F-1 with the 8BA still in it. Found A guy selling A 3 speed with overdrive in good shape. Would this transmission work in my truck and give me better high way cruising speed? How does the overdrive work on this type tranny? THANKS for any info. Jim
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: Need help with tranny

I went 200 k with a overdrive. I love them. It is a planatary gearset in the tailhousing of the trans. You get above 30 mph and let off the gas and it shifts. 30% reduction in engine speed. A 4.11 turns into a 2.90.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
rotorwrench

If its from a late 40s early 50s Ford or Mercury it will bolt right up as long as you have the correct bell housing for the transmission. These were Ford/Borg Warner electric overdrive types with the R10 planetary gear set. They aren't the strongest trannies to choose but they hauled many a car and some 53 & on ford F100 pickups. I don't know if they were optional on the 52 F1 but they might have been.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Jimbo

Thanks for the quick reply Andy. The guy said that the selinoid still works good .What is that even for? He wants $200 for it, does that sound good?Thanks Again , Jim
Old 08-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Jimbo

Thanks for the info Kerby.All of it is appriciated.You guys are going to have to forgive all the dumb questions becaus there will be a bunch.Thanks for all the help. Jim
Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
ford1

$200 is a fair price, the solinoid is what enggages and dis engages the over drive, thats the click you hear when going into or out of over drive, the solinoid is operated by the govenor, thats what makes the over drive engage and dis engage at 30 pr 35 mph, basically an over drive will give you two gears in any gear if you reach the speed to engage it, low and low over drive, 2nd and 2nd over drive, and high and high over drive, really you have a 6 speed trans, check rear ratio you need a 4:11 to make it work right, to high a rear gear and you wont have any pulling power on grades, you will be forced to come out of overdrive and back into 3rd gear
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
Jimbo

Will this work on my truck? It is a floor shift. Is this something that goes on the rear of my tranny or A whole different unit? Does anyone have A picture of one.I might understand it better if I could get A look at it.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
53ash

This is not the greatest pic, but it show the entire gearbox to the right, and overdrive unit on the left. You will want to have someone check the overdrive unit for you and make sure the OD gears are ok. These work well when in good condition, and will help you out when hitting the highways. I'll be glad to help you with informatiion, to set it up and wire it. I'll send a PM with my email and phone number. Hugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merc tranny 006 [Desktop Resolution].jpg (83.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
rotorwrench

All of the Ford/Borg Warner electric overdrives are side shift. Cars & pickups that had them all had the collumn shift set up. There is a thread somewhere on Fordbarn that explains how a fellow converted a side shift to a top shift using a regular top shift housing. It looked to me like it works pretty well too. It required him to machine manufacture several parts to make it work but he set the top up so that it bolts on.

Besides the wiring you will also need the operating relay and a kick down switch to go under the throttle pedal.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
Andy

The actuator rod that locks out OD, is pushed by the low reverse fork. You can't really convert to top shift. Just put in the column shift or a floor shift conversion.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Hoop

Not my work, but here's that top shifter fitted to a side shifter (note the reverse lock-out switch):

"The actuator rod that locks out OD, is pushed by the low reverse fork. You can't really convert to top shift. Just put in the column shift or a floor shift conversion."

Sure you can. Get an overdrive case and a top-shift case. Study the differences. Sorry don't have pics, but it's been done.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
Andy

What you picture is a floor shift conversion. The top shift does not shift the gears directly. It moves slides which shift the original side shift mechanism. The case is a unmodified side shift case.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
Hoop

Carefully go back and read "rotorwrench's" post. I responded to your post as well as his. He mentioned an old Fordbarn thread ... I saved the picture.

Additionally, you can adapt a B/W overdrive onto a 1939 top-shifter.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
Fred A

Default '39 Trans With R10

Last month I bought a '39 trans modified for an overdrive for $250. Looked real nice but the open drive does not meet my needs. Wrongly thought that overdrive could be replaced by one of several Lincoln Zephyr units for torque tube that I have. Such a modified case does not have the reverse lockout that would make it as good as a factory setup. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
havi

remember the truck type transmission is bolted to the crossmember on the F1 (and larger) behind the transmission. Therefore, to fit the OD, you'll need to modify the crossmember.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #16
hbleadsled

Who ever built that transmission did a great job ,that same transmission in the 49-51 and later were great .I have two ,one ford ,and chevy. Harold ,central coast Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:01 AM   #17
Hoop

For those who want to attempt adapting the B/W OD to a top-shift case.

The case in the upper right is a side-shift OD case. The middle one is a stock top-shift.

The case in the lower left is one which I had machined out. The white template indicates the plate that needs to be added/welded on ... one of my "projects" that has been allowed to cool off.

Good luck.