Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
mach0415

Default Windshield hinge movement

We have started disassembling everything on the 1929 Town Sedan cowl after moving on from the running chassis. The windshield frame is in great condition, but the hinge is rusted internally. We have been soaking it for months with PB, but she no work.

My question is, How easy should the windshield pivot?

Also, the original Heinze wiper motor works, but will need knobs and an arm. (translated...$$ ----95 of them to replace) May be looking for an alternative motor assembly with parts for less, if possible.

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful." -- By society, who is still arguing over who said it.
mach0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
jrelliott

Default Re: Windshield hinge movement

Look up Model A wipers on the internet. Fellow in California has the correct parts for most of the wipers, but they are not cheap. The hinge for my windshield on Briggs 28 fordor was fashioned from two peices of sheet metal with a curved area at the top which fit togather. You have to slide out from the side. If PB Blaster does not work try some KROIL. It is not cheap, but usually works
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Windshield hinge movement

Sometimes it is easier to try for side to side motion of the hinge before trying for an open/close motion. Rust and dirt can really build up in these hinges. Side to side motion gives the crud a place to move where compressing the crud by trying to open it will yield no motion. I have a couple of times in the past had to clamp the body part of the hinge in a vice and lay a block od wood along the edge of the windshield frame and tapped the w/s frame sideways. Be careful not to bend anything. Rod