Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
Fred A

Default Early or Late Ash Recievers in '40

Time to install dash in my two Forties. With chassis numbers starting with 5444 or 5304 respectively, does either need the dash with the earlier ash recievers. Trying to remain authentic where I can, but the line between the early dash and others is not entirely clear. Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Early or Late Ash Recievers in '40

Please explain how to identify early and late VIN numbers for the 40 Ford car using the info. on MacVanPelt's site.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm
My first 3 numbers are 185 followed by 6 more numbers. The car came with the push-in slide up ashtrays. I am told those are the "early" ashtrays.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
Fred A

Although it seems that I answer my own question, the *18 just means that the original engine was a Ford V8 then the sequential number began at 52something, not to be confused with the 60 which probably started at *52space then the number but I can't rule out another number like a *922 or such beyond my knowledge.. Simple isn't it. Well, the two other numbers stamped on the frame rails under the body didn't have the *18. Just look at the number starting with a 5 for a '40. I really don't know just how sequential the actual assembly plant may have been, but they were made in in that numerical order at the Rouge. Push up ashtrays as you call them are correctly found in lower numbered '40s. I just want to put a finer point on when, if it's possible. Had three '40s before 1970 and the amont that I don't know was vast when I became newly interested a couple of years ago. In the sixties our beloved '40s were much younger as was I, and commonly found to be very original. Good Luck: Fred A
Old 02-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
Kube

Fred,
As you no doubt realize, it is nearly impossible to determine exactly when any 1940 was built without authentic documentation. Including all of the '39 & '40 Fords I have owned, only three have had irrefutable proof as to when and how they were built. We can however, using a number of telltale signs, offer a good approximation.
The car you have with the "5444" had the engine mated to the transmission and it's serial number applied in the middle of Dec.1939. Your car with the "5304" number is obviously an earlier build. Its engine was mated to a transmission and the serial number applied in mid October, 1939.
That being the case, it is a near certainty that the "5304" car had the first design ash trays. The "5444" car most likely had the early design as well.
The ash tray design was changed in late January, 1940. How quickly that change was put in to effect at all of the assembly plants is a question we will likely never know the answer to. Typically, fairly quick...
If you want to do these cars as correctly as possible, I'd suggest the early ash tray design for both vehicles.
And by the way, the two places the serial number was stamped to the frame beneath the body did not receive a prefix - in your case "18".
Hope this helps...
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Last edited by Kube; 02-14-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
alt63bird

Does the car still have original glass with month/year codes? That would help. My old Deluxe tudor's glass was date-coded 12-39 and had push-ups; my Standard tudor glass is date-coded 4-40 and should have the pull-downs.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #6
Fred A

To avoid any confusion I readily accept that the 5444 car was numbered in Dec.1939 as Kube meant to state. Even though modified '40 coupes are the majority of the survivors here in California, it seems that through the years, original parts were not tossed out as was the fate of many other models. I'm very optimistic the partial restoration of my cars will be very cost effective. Thanks for the knowledgable responses: Fred A