Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Default Unusual oil filler cap

There is a 1930 Tudor for sale on eBay.
It has an unusual oil filler cap.
At first look I thought it was the top to a fast food drink with a straw sticking out. Then I noticed that it has Ford script.
Has anyone seen one o f these before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_1 (23).JPG (36.4 KB, 367 views)
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Barber31

Default Re: Unusual oil filler cap

Looks like a makeshift oil can holder/cap. Serves 2 purposes!
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
John Kuhnast

Thats a Model T oil can.
John Kuhnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
Synchro909

Someone's sense of humour.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:11 AM   #5
albundy

Mine has a gas cap on it.
albundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

1. Even though this does not appear to be similar to what I once experienced, "if" the metal tube exiting the top of the filler cap were larger; and,

2. "If" a hose were provided and attached from the top of the tube exiting the top of the filler cap ........ to a horizontal tube provided adjacent to the choke plate on the carburetor ..... while the engine is running, the suction from the carburetor would withdraw smokey blow-by fumes from the crank case and recycle them through the carburetor and out to the rear of the exhaust pipe.

3. Saw this done once by my professional mechanic & inventor Uncle with a 1/2" copper tube on his "new" Model B marine engine provided in his 1932 racing boat.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
1. Even though this does not appear to be similar to what I once experienced, "if" the metal tube exiting the top of the filler cap were larger; and,

2. "If" a hose were provided and attached from the top of the tube exiting the top of the filler cap ........ to a horizontal tube provided adjacent to the choke plate on the carburetor ..... while the engine is running, the suction from the carburetor would withdraw smokey blow-by fumes from the crank case and recycle them through the carburetor and out to the rear of the exhaust pipe.

3. Saw this done once by my professional mechanic & inventor Uncle with a 1/2" copper tube on his "new" Model B marine engine provided in his 1932 racing boat.
In the 70's Gov Brown called this the NOX device and went about having everyone install it. At the neighborhood service station I was employed at, the owner did his own study of the gas to emissions on this sweet little old ladies '57 Ford and found that it decreased emissions by almost 30%, but it also increased fuel consumption by almost 30%, so to me the smog bullshit back then was a wash. I'm still not sold on all the emissions crap loaded onto new cars now, since a good breathing engine will not emit much if properly maintained, besides, with the new computer programs, you can make a well breathing engine purr like a kitten. I say Bring back the flathead V8!
'28 left brake ccPickup
'31 SW Town Sedan
'28 AA Stake Bed
'30 Cabriolet
'42 Super Deluxe 4door Sedan

"If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer.
If it breaks...... ya needed a new one anyway!!"

Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit.
It gives you a warm feeling, but nobody notices.

Never pass up a bathroom
Never neglect an erection
Never trust a fart
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

Per #6, he did this because his engine was all the way forward, he steered from the rear with no fire wall.

Being single in 1932, he said he did this because some of his girl friends were complaining about engine fumes on the rear seat.

Plenty of boats in the area, his must have been a chick-magnet.

He lived to be 80, never got married, but he always had plenty of girl friends in his boat and could have cared less about the damn gas mileage. LOL
Old 12-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #9
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Per #6, he did this because his engine was all the way forward, he steered from the rear with no fire wall.

Being single in 1932, he said he did this because some of his girl friends were complaining about engine fumes on the rear seat.

Plenty of boats in the area, his must have been a chick-magnet.

He lived to be 80, never got married, but he always had plenty of girl friends in his boat and could have cared less about the damn gas mileage. LOL
LOL, indeed!
'28 left brake ccPickup
'31 SW Town Sedan
'28 AA Stake Bed
'30 Cabriolet
'42 Super Deluxe 4door Sedan

"If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer.
If it breaks...... ya needed a new one anyway!!"

Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit.
It gives you a warm feeling, but nobody notices.

Never pass up a bathroom
Never neglect an erection
Never trust a fart
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
jax55

Along with #7, I remember having to install a vacuum switch in the upper radiator hose to slow down the distributor advance until the motor was warmed up. Also had to reset the A/F screws down to reduce fuel, then cement them in that position.
Had to do this on cars of a certain age when they were being retitled, in the beginnings of the "Smog check" deal.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Da,

Thanks. On a slightly different note, both this Uncle & Higgins were boat racers in the 1930's when boat races were not categorized between outboards and inboards.

After my Uncle built his inboard motor powered cypress boat, the "Zoraide", and installed in it his new Model B engine with a Police Head and a downdraft carburetor, he beat Higgin's plywood hydroplane outfitted with a souped-up 1930's outboard motor.

With my Uncle's permission, after Higgins measuring, (lofting) his boat's bottom, Higgins then built a similar boat with the same bottom shape, provided a much larger engine and won the next annual boat race; however, a wealthy local encouraged my humble Uncle to try something different to beat Higgins.

He did. Still in the early 1930's, he went to an Army Surplus Sale and bought a 16 cylinder radial WWI airplane engine with propeller and placed it in his newly built boat he fitted with double oak ribs. My Uncle finished his boat on the morning of the race and beat Higgins without knowing how fast he went. His new air boat speed was measured a few day later with a racing car ...... while wearing airplane goggles with no windshield, 72 mph on water.

Later, Higgin's made another boat with this same "Zoraide" bottom shape, but in a larger version ....... it was the early WWII PT Boat.

My son still has the "Zoraide" hanging from the rafters in his barn.

Too long a story, but in the mid-1930's, this same professional mechanic Uncle later managed a car dealership where they later decided to buy used cars of like manufacturer, re-conditioned them during this Depression Era, and was later visited and commended by these same auto manufacturers from Detroit ...... his car reconditioning business became popular ..... name of his 1930's used, reconditioned cars .... "OK Used Cars".