Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2024, 10:12 PM   #1
Nasukau

Default Rear End Rebuild Advice/Help Needed

Hi All,
I am attempting my first rear end rebuild using Tom Endy’s articles for reference. All parts have been cleaned. I have all new seals, bearings and races installed. I also have a new 3.54 ring and pinion. I bolted the right axle to the banjo with no gasket and torqued to 35ft lbs. I then put the carrier in the banjo and bolted the left housing with no gaskets and torqued down to see if I could get it to lock up. Ended up I had to add two shims on the right side of the carrier and one shim on the ring side of the carrier to finally get it to lock up with no gaskets.
I then started with two .010 gaskets with no luck. I am now down to using the two thinnest gaskets (.003) I have left and I can barely feel drag starting. What am I doing wrong or missing?

Thanks,
Denny
Nasukau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 01:59 AM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Rear End Rebuild Advice/Help Needed

Denny:

You need to add more shims under the bearings on each side of the carrier to be able to install at least one .010 paper gasket on each side of the banjo to achieve the proper pre-load, otherwise you may have an oil leak. I use .005 metal shims obtained from Bratton's. You can stack as many shims on each side as necessary.

Most of the time I have to have the carrier knurled on each side because the bearings had spun on the hub. I have the machinist take a .005 cut on the bearing stop on each side to clean it up, so I have to put at least one .005 shim on each side to begin with. I also have him take a 1\8" inch undercut so I can easily fit a bearing puller under the bearing if I have to remove it.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 09:11 AM   #3
Nasukau

Thank you Tom. I wasn’t sure how many shims were acceptable. I will get a few more.

Denny
Old 02-22-2024, 12:50 PM   #4
Jim Brierley

Tom is exactly right, but I don't recommend torquing the side housings without gasket or shims of some kind in place, there is danger of distorting the housings, and they will leak.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 04:38 PM   #5
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Tom is exactly right, but I don't recommend torquing the side housings without gasket or shims of some kind in place, there is danger of distorting the housings, and they will leak.

I agree.

The trick is to torque only the right side. Then install the carrier and start running the bolts down on the left side evenly and turn the ring gear with your finger until you feel it start to lock up. If it starts to lock up stop and add gaskets to the left side. You don't want to torque it if it is going to lock.

The task is to determine that it will lock. The final torque of 35 ft. lbs. on each side is when the pre-load is established, and the bearings will turn.

Tom Endy

Last edited by Tom Endy; 02-23-2024 at 01:20 AM.
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:32 PM   #6
Nasukau

Thank you both!
Denny