Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
Bob NH

Default leaded gas ?

I am not finding a recent post about leaded gas by state? Tried a search on here with no results. Anyone point me to the site ? Thanks, Bob
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Fibber Mcgee

Default Re: leaded gas ?

I didn't think any states sold leaded gas. Do you mean ethanol free gas?
Old 10-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Shadetree

I believe the only leaded gas you'll find is aviation fuel. It's great for long time storage as it does not deteriorate. Not supposed to be used in automobiles because there is no road tax paid. Also cannot be used in any vehicle that has a catalytic converter.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
Bob NH

That's probably what I mean. Oh, and I have just one of those cars left that your looking for. Complete sell out on the rest of them !
Old 10-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You can buy non-ethanol gas in a lot of states, Kansas is one of them. You can also buy racing fuel, but I don't know what the makeup of it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No Ethanol Pump.jpg (63.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg No Ethanol Pump 2.jpg (37.3 KB, 48 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
BlueSunoco

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Sunday paper had a good article blasting Ethanol.

Takes 131,000 BTU to MAKE one gallon. One gallon Ethanol has 73,000 BTU. Net LOSS of 58,000 BTU. Hard on environment. Making cost of food go higher. Damages cars.

Yeah, good stuff. All politics nothing else.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
rotorwrench

Racing fuels (Sunoco/Howell) are available but generally only near race tracks and the standard is 110 octane. Aviation gasoline (100 Low Lead) is available at airports that have fixed base operations. As was mentioned before, these fuels are off road only type fuels so a person doesn't want to get caught by the fuel police. They are also very expensive when compared to Mogas.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
toby

Try www.pure-gas.org

Last edited by toby; 10-06-2014 at 02:41 PM.
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
Bob NH

Hey Toby, that's the site I was looking for. Thanks for sharing. It was posted just a short time back if memory serves but I could not seem to locate. Again, many thanks, Bob
Old 10-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #10
mike42

BobNH.....in Michigan, at least in the North, We have a recreational fuel made by Marathon. Has no Ethanol in it. I use it in my '40 as well as boat, tractor and misc power tools. You can sure tell the difference in the way things run ! It costs 50 ¢ more per gallon, but it's worth it to me.

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Dak Rat

Mike42 is right. The extra cost of non-ethanol gas is worth it. Better mileage, less damage to vintage carbs and gas tanks etc. Yup, worth it to me as well.
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
BlueSunoco

Mike, Ethanol is subsidized by the gov-mint at 50 cents a gallon. If it had to compete head to head with real gasoline, w/o the Fed helping it, it would cost more. Then, see how many tree huggers would run the stuff.

None to very few. It would dry up and blow away overnight.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
mike42

Blue......this is true !
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #14
ArcLighter

Aviation gas (avgas) is almost all 100LL now, and has 2+/- grams of Tetra-Ethyl-Lead (TED) per gallon. The 100 octane part is a waste for our old low compression engines (good for 10:1) and the lead in avgas if burned by itself will foul plugs bad. Even in small aircraft engines, when 100LL avgas is all that's available at most airports, with 7:1 compression ratio must pull the mixture control way towards lean (at idle) to keep from lead fouling plugs so badly that they won't fire during a mag check; and, then it's back to the hangar to remove and clean them. One gallon of avgas to three gallons of non-ethanol gas makes for a nice, lightly leaded fuel for both low compression aircraft engines and our old Fords.
ArcLighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #15
Topsterguy

I was told awhile back that Chevron doesn't have ethanol in it, so I went to the head office here in Victoria BC and asked. I was told that the Chevron gas they sell on the island doesn't have ethanol in it , so far, but on the mainland is does !!??? They didn't know about the US.
Topsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:39 PM   #16
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Mike, Ethanol is subsidized by the gov-mint at 50 cents a gallon. If it had to compete head to head with real gasoline, w/o the Fed helping it, it would cost more. Then, see how many tree huggers would run the stuff.

None to very few. It would dry up and blow away overnight.
What? Politicians and corn farmers are tree huggers?

Real tree huggers know better.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #17
flatford8

Bob.... There's a station in Freedom NH. right on Route 25 just before the Maine state line that sells it..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #18
mhsprecher

Not to stir things up, but here is a something I posted on the Model A forum recently:

I am reading Wheels for the World by Douglas Brinkley. I have read a number of other books on Ford that I have enjoyed and I am loving this one, too.

As we all know, Henry Ford was an experimenter and, according to Brinkley, was an early proponent of ethanol.

"Throughout World War I Henry Ford, while settling into Fair Lane, caused eyebrows to be raised as he searched for a substitute for gasoline. Conducting agricultural experiments in Dearborn ...he began his quest to have Model Ts and Fordson tractors run on denatured alcohol....Ford believed that mashed cornstalks or squeezed German potatoes could get 15 percent more power than petroleum. 'Gasoline is going-alcohol is coming,' he told a reporter for the Detroit News in 1916. 'It is coming to stay, too for it's in unlimited supply. And we might as well get ready for it now. All the world is waiting for a substitute for gasoline. When that is gone, there will be no more gasoline, and long before that time, the prices of gasoline will have risen to a point where it will be too expensive to burn as a motor fuel. The day is not far distant when, for every one of those barrels of gasoline, a barrel of alcohol must be substituted.' " ... "If only Model Ts could run on grains for vegetable substances, he reasoned, the farmers could profit instead of Standard Oil."

Wheels for the World by Douglas Brinkley pp 220-221.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #19
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Sunday paper had a good article blasting Ethanol.

Takes 131,000 BTU to MAKE one gallon. One gallon Ethanol has 73,000 BTU. Net LOSS of 58,000 BTU. Hard on environment. Making cost of food go higher. Damages cars.

Yeah, good stuff. All politics nothing else.
You do realize that the creation of gasoline is also a net energy loss, don't you? It takes approximately 1.23 BTUs to create 1 BTU worth of gasoline. Corn-based ethanol has an approximately 1.75:1 ratio. What really matters where the energy comes from to create the end product, and what effect the production of said energy and product has on the environment.

The analysis of the fuels can be skewed a number of different (and potentially deceptive) ways depending upon if the person is pro-Ethanol or anti-Ethanol.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/agd...HofJuly07.html

Both are hard on the environment. The cost impact on foods due to ethanol is debatable. Damage to cars is only an issue if one hasn't taken steps to update fuel systems accordingly.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #20
rotorwrench

O'l Henry was a proponent of ethanol until the 18th ammendment & Volstead act came along. Folks would have been drinking the fuel before running it in their cars at least until the wood alcohol was added. After that, a bunch of folks keeled over dead by consuming what they thought was drinkable alcohol.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote