Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
keith oh

Default Skip Haney pumps service

One of my 35 pumps Skip rebuilt started leaking and although it had been at least 5 years since the rebuild,with no hesitation, fixed it and sent it back by special two day UPS so I would be able to go the the last show in our area this year. This kind of service deserves to be noted. Thank you Skip. Keith Oh.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
oldford2

Default Re: Skip Haney pumps service

All the more reason to deal with the "little guy" experts. Skip, MacVP, CharlieNY, Max, Kenct, Bill the shocker, -Who am I forgetting? Oh yea, Roy N the nuts and bolts guy, Dick Spadora.
All folks you can call and get expert advice from. Try that with the "big box" vendors. John

Last edited by oldford2; 10-16-2010 at 05:19 AM.
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Keystone 34 3w

Keith Oh, do your 35 Skip pumps have brass four vane impellers similar to my 34 pumps?
Keystone 34 3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
G.M.

Keystone your small impellers pump 52 gallons each in 5 minutes. Skips have much larger streamlined impellers that delver 92 gallons. The 37 to 53 pumps he does have a turbine impeller that no one else has and deliver 110 gallons V/S 65 for stock. G.M.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Keystone 34 3w

Does anyone have a picture of a 33 to 36 impeller from a Skip pump or even just the back side? I am curious to see if they have 6 blades or still just four. I have pumps that have three blades in straight line, some have three blades with angled blades, most have four blades straight blades with open side impellers but then I have these two brass impeller pumps with four blades and closed sides in a housing that is machined out for bearings. If anyone could shed light on these brass ones that would be helpful to me. Thanks
Keystone 34 3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Stillrunners

good to know....
Stillrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
G.M.

Keystone there is more involved in pumping water then just the number of impellers. I designed the impellers for Skip and made and tested maybe 10 or 15 of both the early 32 to 36 and the later 37 to 53 types of impellers. The ones that I thought would work and looked good didn't change the flow enough to make any cooling improvements. The ones he is using almost double the flow. Every pump he does is tested on a machine that measures the flow and checked for leaks. Consistant tolerances and quality control plus testing every unit of any product is the key for quality. G.M.

Last edited by G.M.; 10-17-2010 at 10:46 PM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
B-O-B

Hi George:
Would you be so kind as to send me an E-mail. I would like to discuss the proper storing of a couple of skips pumps.
Thanks
[email protected]
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
G.M.

B-O-B I would spray the pumps inside and out with WD-40 and put each one in a plastic freezer bag. G.M.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
B-O-B

GM Thanks I can do that
Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith oh View Post
One of my 35 pumps Skip rebuilt started leaking and although it had been at least 5 years since the rebuild,with no hesitation, fixed it and sent it back by special two day UPS so I would be able to go the the last show in our area this year. This kind of service deserves to be noted. Thank you Skip. Keith Oh.

Now that is what I'm talking about it. I don't want to beat a dead horse but all those folks that railed on and on about price being king, here is proof positive you get what you pay for.

Small, American owned business performing a quality service with US-made parts and standing behind their product without question.

Brings a tear to my patriotic eye.

GOD BLESS AMERICA and keep 'um runnin'!
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
B-O-B

GM
Went out to the shop to WD 40 the pumps but don't see why that would do any good as they are painted gray & have a grease zerk on each one which I'm sure skip gave them a shot or two of grease. Maybe I better get in touch with skip for his suggestions on storing them. It may be a while before I will need to install them & I've already had them for several years
Old 10-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
G.M.

B-O-B the sealed internal parts were greased and even when you use the pumps they will only need a one stroke shot of low melting temperature grease about once a year. These pumps aren't greased like king pins the low temperature grease melts and the heavy oil produced saturates the bushing. This provides 3/4s of a thousanths of heavy oil all the way around the shaft. The shaft rides in the oil film never touching the bushing. Grease forced in will split the pump housing on the front corner. 25% of all 32 to 36 pumps are cracked and need to be welded which is done at no extra charge when being rebuilt. If grease is force in it pushes past the water seal, plugs the seal and coats the inside of the cooling system. If high temperature grease is used this will get in the radiator tubes and slow down the water flow, 500 degree won't melt at 180. Spray the WD-40 in around the impeller and down in the hose opening. It may not need any oil being in a sealed baggy but it won't hurt anything. Before installing turn the pumps by hand to see they turn freely. After bolting the pumps to the heads turn them by hand again to make sure the impellers clear the hole in the front of the head. The holes in the head are not machined and a few came in contact with the impeller. If this occures grind a few thousanths of material out of the head with a die grinder. G.M.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
burly

Man, Thats good to know. I've sent him a email regarding a coil I bought from him a few years ago that failed recently. I hope he stands behind his coils likewise.
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
37 Coupe

He does and he will.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #16
G.M.

Burly, You need to make sure the problem is the coil. There have been very few real failures other then if the ignition switch was left on and melted it and even in these cases he usually rebuilds it at reduced rate even though it takes longer than the original rebuild. There is usualy external evidense if it was cooked. This can't happen when the engine is running. If he rebuilt your coil or anyones and you THINK the coil is bad send it back with a check for $8.00 for the return shipping. If the coil is bad he will fix it, put your check in the box with the repaired coil and pay the shipping himself. If it tests good your $8.00 check pays for the shipping. G.M.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
burly

Thanks GM, I borrowed a coil from a friend and the engine will start and runs with that coil. The one that Skip did shows no external damage. Should I wait for Skip to reply to my email? Thanks
burly is offline   Reply With Quote