Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
kressej

Default Motor mount question

I've got a 31 Victoria, put in a Mitchell this winter. Also replaced the front and rear motor mounts. The front is the one in the Les Andrews book where you drill 2 holes in the cross member. Put Float-a-motors in the back and added the little rubber block gadget over the U-joint that sits on the cross member.

Good news: vibration has dropped dramatically. Bad news: when I go over a serious bump, the Mitchell hits the floor pan. There is about 3/4" of clearance between the Mitchell and the floor.

Do I - Plan A: add some washers to the front mount to drop the U-joint area; Plan B: remove the rubber block & bracket by the U-joint; Plan C: ignore it; or what's your Plan D??? Thanks folks.
kressej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Motor mount question

try the original rear mounts. Seems to me the rear float a motor mis aligned the rear of the motor.
I did this and went back to all original mounts.
This was on a huckster body with a closed car cowl.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
jw hash

did you order your Mitchell for the Victoria?, they install them farther back in the shaft to clear the floor.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
MikeK

I don't see the engine placement as the problem. The torque tube with your OD pivots at the rear U-joint as the differential goes up/down over bumps. Too much upward differential travel may be the problem. Do you have rear shocks, and are they adjusted properly? Do you have the correct rear spring? Does your car sit at stock height or is it low? Plan D: Avoid 'serious' bumps.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
Jordan

sounds like you have either the wrong set up in your car, or a weak rear spring.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #6
Tom Endy

When you ordered the overdrive, did you tell Sue Mitchell it was for a Victoria? They offer a special unit for the Victoria that sits 4.5 inches further forward than their standard model. They also machine the top rear corner off at an angle to provide more clearance.

If you have the special unit installed you can do two things to help the situation.

1. Replace the rear 8-leaf spring with a 10-leaf. It will provide a little more clearance.

2. Glue a strip of 1/4" inch thick rubber along the machined top corner of the overdrive unit. It will cushion the blow when you bottom out.

You can also remove the dropped floor pan, it comes out fairly easy and have it sectioned and welded. I have a Ryan overdrive in my Vic and that is what I had to do.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote