Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
hotrodalley

Default Help Climbing Hills - new head?

i have a stock model a engine with a lightened flywheel and a weber carb. I am also running a 36% mitchell overdrive and an aires muffler. I am happy with the combination except for the fact that I am losing speed on hills. I like to be able to maintain at least 50 mph on the hills. The engine is also a babbit engine in very good condition.

Will a high compression head solve my problem?
hotrodalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Help Climbing Hills - new head?

It would be a step towards that. I guess it would depend on the grade and length of the hill.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:24 AM   #3
colin1928

For Power =Carburetion+Compression+Cam(breathing)
equal and balanced proportions

Last edited by colin1928; 03-17-2014 at 03:22 AM.
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
Jordan

are you sure the mitchell is a 36%? They are usually 26%
Old 03-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #5
James Rogers

A high compression head is the best money you can spend to improve torque values for a Model A. To climb hills better, improve torque.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
Ray in La Mesa

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
You can order either 26% or 36% overdrives from Mitchell.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
John LaVoy

I concur with the head upgrade, the most bang for the buck! With the babbitt I would stay at no more that 6-1. I really like the 5.5 from Snyder's but have a 6-1 Winfield, and a 5.9 Brumfield that all work well.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
newshirt

I cannot maintain 50 mph on any hills. But then I live at 7,600 feet elevation. I usually top hills at 30 - 40 mph. I suppose at lower elevations that might equate to 50.

I just don't drive 50 on a regular basis. It's normally 40 - 45. I prefer to putt along and enjoy the moment, and I'm very conscious of overworking the engine on hills. I ease up on the gas, and retard the spark, and try to "coast" to the top of hills whenever possible. Beware of beating those Babbitts flat by trying to maintain a certain speed.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1928 View Post
For Power =Carburetion+Compression+Cam(breathing)
equal and balanced proportions
The above is so true and so important that I quote it again here for emphasis. Power here means HP, which keeps you running at the desired speed. (Torque provides acceleration.)

You need a lot of power to overcome the wind resistance on a boxy Model A at 50 MPH, plus the power to climb the hill, plus power to overcome rolling resistance. It adds up fast.

The HC head will certainly help, as others have said.

In addition to cam for breathing (you don't say which you are running), you might also need slightly larger than stock intake valves to improve the breathing and to keep everything balanced.

It also depends on the steepness of the hills you are trying to climb at 50 MPH (as others have mentioned).

You don't say what rear gear ratio you are running. With a stock rear gear, you will only be turning about 1600 RPM at 50 MPH in OD with that OD ratio, and you are probably below the peak of the HP curve. You are kind of asking a lot out of that little engine at fairly low RPM with that much OD, unless the engine and chassis are specifically built for it.

Or go out of OD and you are turning about 2200 RPM and running right around the peak of the HP curve. But then you don't get the benefit of that fancy OD.

Keeping everything balanced is the key.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
TerryH

If that Mitchell really is 36%, it is too high for 50 mph, especially on any hill. The normal 26% to me is far more useful for most Model A use.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
hotrodalley

terryh - thanks for your input. i'm confused. If the engine is not lugging, why is 50 mph too fast for a 36% overdrive?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

A higher compression head will help but with a 36% overdrive it probably won't completely solve the problem.The engine doesn't produce much power at low rpm. The higher final gear that the overdrive gives doesn't let the engine turn enough rpm to produce the torque that is needed for hill climbing.There is a trade off with overdrives and higher gear ratios. The higher the final gear ratio the less the hill climbing ability and low speed power.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
A higher compression head will help but with a 36% overdrive it probably won't completely solve the problem.The engine doesn't produce much power at low rpm. The higher final gear that the overdrive gives doesn't let the engine turn enough rpm to produce the torque that is needed for hill climbing.There is a trade off with overdrives and higher gear ratios. The higher the final gear ratio the less the hill climbing ability and low speed power.
This often brings up the question: "is 4.11 to 1 a higher or lower ratio than 3.78 to 1?"
I think 4.11 to 1 is a higher ratio, but a slower speed ratio.

I now just refer to the ring and pinion as higher speed ratio, or lower speed ratio.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #14
TerryH

At 50 mph, a 36% OD is almost lugging, and will certainly be quite a bit below the peak horse power point of your Model A. That high of gearing will be better suited to 60-65 mph. I have a 5.5 head on my Town Sedan, and a Mitchell 26%, and at 55 mph it will pull slight hills, but not much more.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodalley View Post
terryh - thanks for your input. i'm confused. If the engine is not lugging, why is 50 mph too fast for a 36% overdrive?
If the engine is not lugging why is it that you are having problems going up hills?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #16
hotrodalley

ok, i am learning from everyones posts. thanks so much. just a clarification, i am not lugging on level ground at 50 mph but have to downshift out of overdrive to handle significant hills
Old 03-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
OK I think this will help look at the stock black lines. The problem is that your running the engine at such a low RPM that you are out of the power range to give good results going up a hill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power curve Model A.jpg (71.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #18
Bruce Adams

Gee, I wonder what your point is?
If you have overdrive, its to help you go at greater speeds with a lower engine speed. Assuming the same engine, you would have to reduce the gear ratio to climb a hill, or as everyone has said, modify the engine with a higher compression head to increase torque. The laws of physics do not change with gearing, they are still there, just utilized, but in different ways.
I say go for the high compression head and utilize the increased torque to blow over the hills. It would not hurt to have a Stipes cam and larger intake ports too while you are at it.
Good Luck and happy motoring.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #19
Skibb

Our driver climbs hills but not steep ones, not at all. Steep hills are our nemesis. So when we can the Stipe IB 330 cam will go in. We just put this cam in a restoration that we're doing.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/stipecamshaftspecs.htm

Last edited by Skibb; 03-18-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #20
Brendan

Quote:
ok, i am learning from everyones posts. thanks so much. just a clarification, i am not lugging on level ground at 50 mph but have to downshift out of overdrive to handle significant hills

I think we all have to down shift. I got a Mitchell in my car with 378s in the rear, with 650 16 tires. I just did some motor work , and put a tac in my car. to make it easier on the motor I started splitting second gear. I have not driven my car over a lot of hills but when I have I have I split second gear.my car tacs out at about 1900 at 53 mph and it seems happy there. I don't think that it likes to go much higher.

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote