Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Al/Lindley

Default Radiator for a driver

Even after repeated flushings my radiator won't cool my A. Guess i'll bite the bullet and buy another one. Most parts houses are out of them for at least a month, so I'll have to wait for one. Does anyone have strong opinions on the ones to stay away from? Most are pretty expensive so I don't want to buy junk.
Thanks!
Al/Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Radiator for a driver

For a driver just take yours to a shop and have it recored.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Jim Johnston

Al, If you are going to buy one you can't go wrong with Brassworks. Expensive, yes, but excellent quality. I've had one in my '30 Tudor for about five years now. Cool running and no problems.
Jim Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
LeroyM

If the tanks are good I'd just get it a new core put in. I think they charged me $450 2 years ago for a recore and to clean the tanks and paint everything.
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
Model T Monte

bEFORE YOU RE-CORE, Why not see if the shop can rod it out which means take the tanks out and run a rod thru the cores.
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
Gord. B by the bay

If your top tank and bottom tank are good it is more economical to install but I had then install a 5 tube core rather than a 4 tube that was 5 years ago and with a 160 degree thermostat on a 95 degree day it will not heat over 160 sure worked well for me cost $316.00
Have a Great Day Gord. B by the Bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
A-Jay

Talking Re: Radiator for a driver

I just installed a Brassworks HD 10 fin per inch, in my 30 coupe. Its running nice a cool in 90's + temps, a nice well made unit that should last for many years. Had a problem with the moto meter, it would not fit in the new Rad. neck. I contacted Brassworks they were no help at all, acted like they had never heard such a thing. You have to take a Dremel tool to the outer edge where the hex bolts clamp down the lower part of the moto meter to the inner part of the neck. If you do replace also replace the two bottom bolts,cotter keys and the rubber pads and the springs, 7 to 10 bucks what the heck, your going to spend over $600.
A-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
A-Jay

I forgot to say, I Dremel tooled the moto meter, NOT THE RADIATOR neck. I am sure that would kill any warranty from Brassworks.
A-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
Ron in Quincy

I just installed a new Brassworks 10 fins to the inch Radiator in my 30 Coupe. Had the same problem trying to install my motometer. It's the thickness of the taper in the neck of the radiator. When I tried to install my original radiator cap it wouldn't fit also. I had a repo stainless cap and it fit fine ( not as long a neck as the original cap).

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
I just installed a new Brassworks 10 fins to the inch Radiator in my 30 Coupe. Had the same problem trying to install my motometer. It's the thickness of the taper in the neck of the radiator. When I tried to install my original radiator cap it wouldn't fit also. I had a repo stainless cap and it fit fine ( not as long a neck as the original cap).

Ron

For the money you would think they would be able to get it right!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
Mike in NRN IN

Berg's Radiator does a great job of re-coring radiators and the cost is worth it.

I purchased one at French Lick and report favorable results!

Now, with shipping and handling, it might cost more than having a re-core done locally, but I'm not so sure.

It was going to cost me over $500 for a re-core from a local radiator shop (specializing in older model automobile radiators), so it would have been a wash I guess.
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
howie123

If it is a 30-31 you need I have one professionally recored and never used. You can contact me at [email protected] if you want details.
howie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
Stan/MO.

I had the same problem on my coupe, and no amount of flushing would help. This is what I did. Go to the hardware store and get some muradic acid. Plug the bottom outlet and put about 1 1/2 gallons of water in the radiator, then pour about a quart of the acid in, and fill the rest with more water. Plug the top inlet and the overflow. Rotate the radiator while shaking it gently. Let it set for about 1/2 hour. Drain the raditor, and flush it well, might want to put in some baking soda to neutralize the acid as you're flushing. After you're certain it is flushed well, put it on the car and try it. The first thing you'll notice is the increased flow coming in the top of the radiator. Let it set and run, and see if it gets hot. If not ,then you have solved your heating problem for a lot less than a new or recored radiator. All I know is it worked for me. Also be VERY careful with the acid. Good luck, and let me know if it works for you. All the best to you and yours.

Stan

P.S. I wouldn't do this on a "show" car, but for a driver it's worth a try.
Stan/MO. is offline   Reply With Quote