Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
Old Henry

Default If you want to have fun driving, don't let fear stop you.

I know I've had a lot of eyes rolled and even some snide remarks and private chuckles behind my back (yes, and even in my face) about how I drive my car when it is so rarely in perfect condition. (Even have someone who immediately votes any thread I start terrible [one star]. Doesn't matter what the subject or content is.)

Something I've been quite hesitant to say because I hoped that it has become quite obvious from my many experiences driving Old Henry exactly like hundreds of thousands of people did in the decades after he was made: These cars were not made very well compared to modern cars. They only had a 90 day warranty! So, things wore out and broke a lot more often than they do on modern cars. The point that I hope has been obvious is that it didn't matter then and it doesn't matter now. Even though these old cars were not made to be perfect for very long, they were, in fact, made to be very serviceable and reliable without being perfect. And, even now, when no one has to drive them on a daily basis nor long distances like they used to, if they really want to, like I do, they are just as serviceable now, with all of their imperfections, as they were 50-60 years ago. One needn't fear to get out and really have fun in these old cars as much as they want to. They'll get you there and back. This one I drive did when I drove it back in the 60's and it still does now.

Don't worry. Be happy.

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-09-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:37 AM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: I you want to have fun driving, don't let fear stop you.

Well said Henry,
I tell you one thing,a modern car won't be around in 20yrs ,let alone 60.
We would have no problems hoping in the 33 and heading off to the other side of the country.(we will in August) for a 14000klm trip.
They were very well made ,to exacting standards,
And we can still get most parts.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:38 AM   #3
ford38v8

Henry, I have to agree with you on this, but with one caveat:
Back in the day when our V8's were often Found On Road Dead, no matter where you broke down, there were competent mechanics and shops with inventories of spare Ford parts wherever you turned.

Now, of course, if you go forth blindly into the wilderness unprepared and without fear, ... You finish this thought.

That said, I remember my scrounging for an empty beer can to scoop snow into my steaming radiator as a kid. No brains, no money, no fear.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:13 AM   #4
hardtimes

Hey Henry,
I admire your 'spunk' !
Personally, I think that I have faith in the work I've done in complete restore/upgrade of my old '30 roadster. HOWEVER, what I'm afraid of these days is the traffic/other drivers. What you might get away with driving in some rural areas of this great country....you will not on the left coast. Besides a complete disregard for speed limits/stop signs/pedestrians ,on/on ! Many have no driver licenses/insurance/driver training. Yeah, I'd like to join you for one of you treks, but would never make it to meet with you, I fear. Good luck and may you have many more safe trips !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:10 AM   #5
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
a modern car won't be around in 20yrs , let alone 60.
I hope you aren't completely right about this. My '95 Mustang will be 20 years old in November...

But I'm pretty sure I won't be around or most likely won't have it when it turns 60.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #6
Sixseven

You go Professor Henry!

My reticence is similar those stated by Hardtimes. If I broke down and had to leave the car for any length of time, I wonder if it won't come up missing. I have a newer ('67) Ford that I drive and I don't leave it unsupervised in parking areas for fear of damage and theft as well. If I can stay with the car and keep an eye on it, I'm driving it.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

Henry,
Only a fool would laugh at someone like you to your face or behind your
back.
You WILL get your problems sorted out, no doubt, hopefully with advice
from the Barn.
The adventures you share with everyone here in words and in living color
are priceless.
Hi to Pepe !!
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #8
jimalabam

I agree with you and also Charlie's comment...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
dwaynec

I agree with you 100%. I am looking forward to getting our "New to me" '37 in shape for some trips too.
dwaynec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #10
Terry,OH

I admire your go-to-it attitude! The places you have been and shared, and your adventures with your car and the weather. Keep it up! Goes to show you don't need a caravan of others only the will to Go!
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #11
chuck stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
Henry,
Only a fool would laugh at someone like you to your face or behind your
back.
You WILL get your problems sorted out, no doubt, hopefully with advice
from the Barn.
The adventures you share with everyone here in words and in living color
are priceless.
Hi to Pepe !!
Charlie ny

I have to add my two cents... Trailering a car around, parking it in a temperature controled garage, or even putting it in one of those plastic bags, will not make it any better. You will never work out your problems sitting in the garage, it's out on the road traveling with friends where the problems are solved. Ol Henry will never forget all those wonderful miles be hind the wheel of that 47. I have put 2000 miles on mine since it was done. It always got me home, Chuck S.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #12
Cecil/WV

I agree wholeheartedly. There were those who told me I was nuts(maybe so) when I drove my '50 to St George, Ut and I said then that the worst thing it could do was leave me setting in the desert. Well, it didn't, it left me setting in Abilene, Ks where I found a EFV8 member to watch over it and I rented a car and came back to WV and got my trailer and hauled it home. Since then, i have driven it to Lake Tahoe and all over New England and into Quebec. Next month, I am heading for Fl via Al, Ms and La to complete the lower 48 with this car. As far as my breakdown in Ks, (bad piston), it just added to the experience and I made some more friends, especially Arliss Kready in Abilene and got to see his nice collection and ride in his "T".

Get that Ford out and drive it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03982.JPG (154.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03083.JPG (152.1 KB, 55 views)
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
Fibber Mcgee

I'm with you 100% . We are a country of wimps today. People set out in wagons 150 years ago with no help around for days or weeks and we are afraid to leave the house without our cell phones. And besides that if you never drive your car and protect it from every little speck of dirt ,when you die it will probably end up on Pawn Stars any way as your kids sell it for a tenth of what its worth. I say enjoy it and who cares what anyone else says.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
Mike51Merc

If you carry spares & tools you can quickly fix common problems on the side of the road.

For the big stuff, a AAA card.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #15
Merc Cruzer

A perfect car sitting in the garage is perfectly uselesss! Back then (even through the 50's) no one had cell phones so when you were out and got stranded it was an issue, but now, not so much of an issue to get help to get you and the car back home or on your way again. I cannot remember taking a stock certifice out for drive and coming home feeling better about myself and life! Henry may well be the last great explorer, and I always look forward to his new posts until I can get out for a drive myself. The weather is going to be great today so as Willie says "back on the road again"

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 03-09-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #16
jrhaelig

I just cant believe how far off the beaten path you go.

Why is it that every time I read one of your travelogues I have visions of Phil Silvers driving down a river?!?!?!?

Drive on, my friend - drive on........................
1963 Lincoln Continental
1939 Buick
jrhaelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #17
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Now, of course, if you go forth blindly into the wilderness unprepared and without fear, ... You finish this thought.
Very true. One has to have some common sense and keep up the regular maintenance and repairs and even carry a few spare parts and tools. But, I don't think we have in our group so many reckless wanderers as we do maybe overly cautious and scared to get out and have some fun, at least from many comments I get about my travels.

Also, I certainly do not want to disparage any that find it more fun to just tinker on their cars in the garage and admire them there and in car shows and parades, even if they transport them on a trailer. We each have fun in our own way.* I was just addressing those who may desire to have more fun driving but are afraid their car may not be reliable enough. They really are, even when they're not perfect.

*https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129629

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-10-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #18
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaelig View Post
I just cant believe how far off the beaten path you go.

Why is it that every time I read one of your travelogues I have visions of Phil Silvers driving down a river?!?!?!?

Drive on, my friend - drive on........................
Maybe it's because his car looked a little bit like mine:

Funny. His car has '46 bumper guards but '47-'48 parking lights.

Here's a great example of the ruggedness, reliability, and dependability of the old cars that butch11443 just posted: https://www.youtube.com/embed/nq2jY1trxqg?rel=0

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-09-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #19
Butch11443

I,ve got a 31 pickup that's done everything in that video. I redid it and made it an AV8. It's seen most of the east coast and Midwest since.
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #20
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch11443 View Post
I,ve got a 31 pickup that's done everything in that video. I redid it and made it an AV8. It's seen most of the east coast and Midwest since.
Butch
I'm thinking that the skinny tires dig down through the mud to more solid ground better than modern wide tires. I can't see my Camry making it through all of that. Plus, the clearance too. The Camry body would be sitting on the mud.

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-09-2014 at 02:29 PM.