Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
Roadster62

Default 1935 Ford Spare Tire Lock === WORTH SAVING?

Hello, I don't get into V8 stuff that often, I'm into T's & A's, i picked up a 1935 ford wire wheel with the spare tire mount and lock. No key and the stainless oval lock cover is long gone. The three bars can be seen from the back and they look rusty. Is there any reason I shouldn't just drill the lock out and save the wheel by force? Thanks. Bob

Last edited by Roadster62; 12-14-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: 1935 Ford Spare Tire Lock === WORTH SAVING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Hello, I'm into T's & A's, Bob
Bob,

I'm into "T's and A's" myself....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Lawrie

Ask JM 35 ,he will know how to get it open,,but I would resist drilling it out.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Yep, never ever destroy an old Ford part, it brings on nothing but a lot of very bad luck, and drilling out an old lock cylinder can bring on the absolute worst case .
I had a similar situation, but in my case the spare tire was still mounted to the bracket, and the entire assembly was still mounted to the rear of a Tudor slantback sedan. I got into the rear storage area behind the back seat and removed the fasteners that held the spare tire bracket to the back of the car. Once this assembly was off the car, I took a couple long flat blade screwdrivers and came in through the mounting bracket and center hub of wheel and pushed those spring loaded pins back far enough to get the locking hub cap completely off the hub of the wire wheel. Then I removed the lock cylinder and had it rekeyed.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-14-2015 at 03:14 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
Brian

if you can see the three 'bars' , can you see the centre they are emanating from? Looks like a disc about 3/4" dia, with what looks like a rivet in centre. That rivet is in fact a left hand threaded screw, so if you can cut a slot in it with a dremel or something, it'll unscrew, and all the bars etc can be removed.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:27 PM   #6
deuce lover

Its not a left hand thread screw.Its a right hand threaded screw
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:22 AM   #7
Roadster62

Thanks for all the advice, the three bars look to be rotted away and about as thick as a pencil lead. Think I'll see if they will snap and fall out. Is the spare bracket the same for all body styles? Thanks again. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AFTER Hersher 2015 833.jpg (68.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-14-2015, 03:02 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, the three bars look to be rotted away and about as thick as a pencil lead. Think I'll see if they will snap and fall out. Is the spare bracket the same for all body styles? Thanks again. Bob
That picture shows about the same situation that I had, except in my case the tire and front cover were still in place on the assembly. It has been more years ago than I can remember when I went through this, but I may have also used those small openings between the cast iron bracket, and the back of the wheel hub, to access and release those three spring loaded pins.
BTW, it would take a miracle of the third magnitude to access that small screw that looks like a rivet, to cut a slot for a flat blade screwdriver, to remove that screw when that bracket is still attached and the cap is still locked in place on the wheel. Also, it does have right hand threads as deuce lover said. Now, once that cap is removed from the wheel, cutting a slot for a flat blade screwdriver is the way to go. I normally use a small hand help impact driver instead of a hand held screwdriver to initially get that screw loose. After that screw is removed, there is a small slotted head set screw that must come out to remove the lock cylinder from the hubcap. In some cases there are key code numbers on the brass washer that holds the ball shaped end of the spring loaded pins in place. If you have this number a locksmith who has the proper information and tools can cut a new key fot that cylinder. It has been my experience that maybe 1 in 10 of those spare tire lock cylinders will actually have the code numbers on that washer. NOW....if it happens to have that code numbers in place, I would really like to buy that lock cylinder from you .

EDIT: ps...to answer your question....NO, those spare tire brackets are not the same for all '35 Ford body styles.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-14-2015 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
V12Bill

Since most locks don't have the key code, why not take the hubcap, wheel, tire, and mount to a lock smith and have them make a key? That way no cutting, bending and prying.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
nospartsman
BANNED

I am going to commit blasphemy, since your cap is very rusty and the spokes are crusty there is no problem with destroying them to get to the lock cylinder, which is the only part of any value. The 1935 spare tire locking caps are very plentiful, every car had one and there are more that have survived then there are cars that need them. I do agree that "all Ford parts matter" but in this case it is no loss if you damage some of the cap to get the lock out. I have several of these caps and never intentionally bought one, they appear by osmosis. A nice cap with a key might sell for $150, the 1934 might sell a little better, 1933 and 1932 would sell good. The pickup is whole different class of availability. In 1935 Ford outsold other makes, so lots a caps, good for parts for earlier ones. At Hershey, the dumpsters are full of them at the end of the meet (I might be exajurating a little)
The photo of the NOS lock cylinder shows a "break off" head, which is the reason why there is no slot in the keeper screw (see the two photos of the locks standing). Hopefully you will find a key code on your lock cylinder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1578.jpg (83.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1579.jpg (43.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1577.jpg (30.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1580.jpg (22.2 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by nospartsman; 12-15-2015 at 11:13 AM.
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
Since most locks don't have the key code, why not take the hubcap, wheel, tire, and mount to a lock smith and have them make a key? That way no cutting, bending and prying.
Bill, it has been my experience that most of those lock cylinders used for the rear locking spare tire hubcaps, that I have personally removed, did not have key code numbers on that brass piece that looks like a washer, nor were they on the side of the cylinder. I probably have 20 of these locks, and maybe 2 of the 20 have key code numbers. Now the other lock cylinders on these old Fords; doors, trunks, glove box handles, and column drops, that I have removed do have a key code on the side of the cylinder..
Whenever I took a car, or some locked assembly like this wheel, mounting bracket and hubcap to a local locksmith they were usually unsuccessful at picking these old Ford locks for some reason. We have several members here who are known good locksmiths on these Ford locks, so maybe they would chime in here on thier experiences at picking some of these Ford locks.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
VeryTangled

Quote:
Is the spare bracket the same for all body styles?
Hi Everyone, The V-8 Club restoration guide for '35-'36, page 22, says "Two different brackets were used in '35, one for coupe style bodies and one for sedan style bodies."

You didn't ask but it gets worse for '36. "In '36 there were five different types: 1. Deluxe Coupes, Cabriolets and Roadsters. 2. Deluxe Sedans, Convertible Sedans without trunk, and Phaetons. 3. Club Cabriolet. 4. Standard Coupe 550x15. 5. Standard Sedan 550x16. "

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #13
jim1932

Look up 32phil, he is in Montgomery, NY. Not too far from you. He is a lock guy and has a ton of keys and may be able to open it with one then make you a copy. May be easier than busting out the spokes or drilling it out. But at the end of the day, there are a lot on ebay, check the value and you won't worry about destroying it.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:05 AM   #14
Roadster62

I'd like to thank everyone that helped with advice. I save a wheel for one of my projects, and have a bracket for someones car or a great garden hose mount if you have a wheel. Merry Christmas! Bob
Old 12-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #15
32phil

On the 35 tire lock as nospartsman says they are very common. Unfortunately most are without a key. I have NEVER been able to pick one and gave up trying long ago. Very few have the code on the disc that holds the locking rods in place so.... I usually just take them apart and "read " the pins and cut a key for them. Cylinders in good condition with keys sell for $75-85.
Making a key usually runs about $40-45( it's tedious and time consuming)
Most "Local Locksmiths" don't know how to deal with them/never seen one/can't be bothered because they make more fixing a front door then they will get fooling with an 80 yr old lock. Most guys don't bother unless they need the cap for a high point show car. If you need help call 845 551 5132. I'm shutting down the lock shop very soon and will reopen in April. Don't hesitate to call if you help/advice.
Phil