Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
Brendan

Default 35 21 stud

hi, i have a 35 21 stud motor, it was rebuilt about 35years ago, and was installed in a truck and it has about 2 hr run time on it. i pulled the heads off and was checking it out. i noticed that on cylinders 1 through 4 the pistons are marked front, and pointing to the front of the motor. 5 through 8 the front mark is pointing to the rear. is this something that i should worry about ? dose it make a difference? please help
thanks Brendan
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #2
Brian

Default Re: 35 21 stud

Yes mate, it does make a vast difference! Ask yourself- if the pistons could go in either way, then why has the manufacturer taken the trouble to mark a specific direction [front]? Normally they have a split skirt on the non thrust side; this allows for thermal expansion. Placing the piston in backwards places this split side, which is weaker, on the side that is receiving all the side thrust. I am surprised that with two hours running already your pistons are still intact! I found this all out the hard way!! Remedy this situation immediately!! Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Barry WNY

Default Re: 35 21 stud

Yikes, that finally makes sense, what Brian said, seem's important. The marking of rods R & L besides numbering still doesn't to me, and when using reconditioned sets of oddball rods the correct placement was not possable for me.
When pulling the pistons I would look them over good, like ring gap arrangement, full float fit, pin & clip fit, placement.
Barry WNY is offline   Reply With Quote