Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
oldmotorsguy

Default 1925 Model T Coupe oddities....

...or not. I recently purchased a 1925 Ford Model T Coupe, and I need to know if the 1925 cowl had a dummy' cowl vent lid. This lid is where the 1926 and 1927 gas filler cap are accessed from, but my lid does not function. There are also kerosene lamps on each side of the windshield, they appear to be poorly mounted and should not be there, but I do not know for sure.

Additionally, it has the oval gas tank under the front seat, and coil box on the inside of the firewall where pre 1926 coil boxes should be.

I have Googled photos of 1925 Coupes, and a few of these photos have this lid, many do not. Was this possibly the pre-cursor body design for the upcoming body style the following year? Or do I have a 1926 or 1927 cowl that has been fitted onto a 1925 car?

I have attached a photo that shows this dummy lid and lamps. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ebay photo 6.jpg (85.5 KB, 87 views)
oldmotorsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
stevests

Default Re: 1925 Model T Coupe oddities....

That should be a functional cowl vent - my wife's '25 Coupe had one. There should be an adjustable lever just behind the instrument board to operate and adjust the opening range.
stevests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Stinch

The 1924 and 25 model year coupes had a functioning cowl vent. Steve describes it well. I have some pictures of my '24 vent somewhere and can post if it can help.

The same model year coupes did not have those cowl post mounted lamps when they left the factory.

Would like to see more pictures of your nice car.

Rich
Old 07-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
redmodelt

Only the basic non starter models would have cowl lamps. Someone has added them to your car to make it look older. They are too high as mounted anyway. My op would be unless you really like them I would remove them. The coil box would be correct.
Re gas tank see below.

Last edited by redmodelt; 07-13-2014 at 10:35 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
Stinch

24-25 coupes definitely had an oval tank under the front seat and not a square tank in the trunk.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
oldmotorsguy

Lamps - I am not married to them, and could remove them. Or in other words, I could take them or leave them, as they are worth about $90 a pop on eBay in their current nice condition. Then I would have two ugly threaded studs sticking out of my posts. Perhaps pop carriage bolts in the holes and paint the heads black?

This car is ultimately for sale. In you op, and you are in my shoes, do they detract from the value, as mounted currently? How much lower would they have been? Any lower, and the kerosene bowl hits the cowl. I don't suppose there are any photos of a 25 coupe with lanterns around anywhere...
Old 07-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
oldmotorsguy

Stinch and Redmodelt: who is right? Redmodelt is positive this car had square tank in the trunk. Stinch is positive it came with oval tank under the front seat(which is still has). Both are senior Ford Barn members and both have one month seniority on me, so I must defer to their immense wisdom, but who is right? They both can't be right.

I say a cage match is in order, only one can emerge alive.

Last edited by oldmotorsguy; 07-13-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #8
oldmotorsguy

See additional photos. Car is fairly nice, but needs a ton of work on the little stuff, I drove it into my garage, so that is saying something.

It leans demonstrably to the drivers side. I looked at the springs front and rear and all seems in order. Is this easily correctible, and how did it get that way? Was the previous owner a 600 pound sumo wrestler, and the springs just gave up?

Previous owner welded a plate to the spare tire rack for a ball hitch. I am wondering whether this would be something that would add value down the road, or should I scrap it and return it to original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ebay photo 1.jpg (63.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Ebay photo 2.jpg (62.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Ebay photo 10.jpg (79.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Stinch

In my humble opinion, the cowl lamps detract from the value. If I were buying, I'd wonder what else was done. No big deal to correct anyway. The trailer hitch would do nothing for me since the car is already heavy, towing anything would be a chore.

As for the oval tank knowledge, I own a 24 T coupe and have studied them almost nonstop for over a year. For additional reference, see this post by "Hap" http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1185982157
Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
Stinch

The cars tilt could be from the head of spring bolt slipping out of the square hole in the cross member. Most of the time that's the problem. Careful though, if the spring bolt head hole in frame has gotten bigger from being loose for so long, that is a harder fix since the proper repair would be weld the hole to its original size.

Last edited by Stinch; 07-13-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Stinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
redmodelt

The tank under the seat is correct. I just looked up. Down for the count on this one!
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #12
oldmotorsguy

Dump the cowl lamps, huh? Can anyone else corroborate that cowl lamps were not original to a 1925 Model T Coupe?

I am certainly going to dump the trailer hitch. With this car weighing in at around 1800 pounds, that poor little 20 HP engine couldn't pull a fat girl off a tricycle, as they say down south: it has all it can handle just getting the car up to 35 mph, much less trying to tow something. Consider it gone...
Old 07-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #13
fordman67

The coul lights have to go. They just look terrible imho. But that's just me...I would have them on fleabay so fast your head would spin. Great call on the hitch...some people....grrr
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #14
Willie in Houston

As someone aready posted, Cowl lamps were used on non starter cars. I think the mounting brackets are incorrect. The lights should be lower and to the side of the car, not mounted on the front.
Safety to me is a big issue and the cowl lamps make a good place to add turn signal and by adding a second one on the rear, you have some almost correct looking signal lights. I also put brake lights in the rear lamps. (Dual element bulbs)
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote