Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
leo

Exclamation Meaningless Motor Vehicle Inspection Process in NJ

Here in New Jersey we got a sort of gift from the DMV. If your vehicle is at least 25 years old you don't have to get it inspected any longer. Now the inspection process has become a joke here because all they do is check your emissions. They don't care about brakes or anything else which could really be a safety issue and cause you to have a serious accident. Have any other states "progressed" to this level of meaningless nonsense?
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: Meaningless Motor Vehicle Inspection Process in NJ

Here's the process for each state...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl..._United_States
Old 03-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
leo

Hey Dick, thanks for the post but I don't really think wikipedia can be relied on for accuracy. You will note that it says all passenger vehicles are exempt from inspection in NJ as of 2010 and that is not true.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Kevin in NJ

Christy saving money. They have to do the emissions to get the federal dollars.

It has not been good for the garages since people are not bothering to get safety stuff fixed.

It was funny to watch them inspect my van. The lady thought my First Aid tag issued by the state was not a real tag. Even after reading my registration she was going around asking questions and being ignored. Then she messed up the computer and I had to wait 10 minutes for the machine to reboot. You could see other people shaking their heads.

Now what the state does to make money is set up mobile inspection stops. There they do a complete check for lights, wheels and such. Then they issue expensive tickets and make cars get towed.

Of course the big question is how many times will I get stopped in my 94 because the inspection is out of date?
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Leo,

In some states, in some areas of states, if one obtains an antique license plate, where driving is limited to car shows, etc., Motor Vehicle Inspections are not required because of a specific written law or legal exemption.

Obtaining a warning or ticket with an antique license plate for driving to just get ice cream usually depends on which state one resides, which area of each state one resides, and the general or specific attitude of the crappy person in these particular areas who is licensed to write tickets.

Several comments have been written on Forums where with an antique license plate, one received a warning for driving to a facility like a grocery store or drug store.

From past experiences, even devout religious ministers will always test their luck and try to see if they can get by with this or that ..... this one trial & error human event always keeps our prisons open for semi-permanent & permanent visitors.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
ronn

Of course the big question is how many times will I get stopped in my 94 because the inspection is out of date?

Kevin, I drive my 1993 taurus everywhere wo an inspection update and havent been pulled over once.

for those that dont know, NJ now does not inspect 1995 and older cars at all. As a matter of fact, dont tell anyone, but have been driving my 1500 silverado for 2 years wo an inspection sticker. It is a 2000, they should ticket me, but somehow just dont seem to care..............

I wish this had all occurred when I was only 17, because back then, I was so poor, that I drove 75. wrecks until they died, and then would repeat the process over and over. always had trouble with inspection back then.

Believe most states today are getting stricter, but gratefully, not NJ!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
leo

Hi Kevin, so how do they justify the legality of the mobile inspection stop if they don't care about anything but emissions at the inspection station? I was unaware of this new form of taxpayer ripoff. Then again charging you for an annual vehicle inspection in your annual registration renewal is another ripoff since the inspection process has been watered down to nothing of any importance. We continue to be fleeced by a system that is only motivated by it's own survival and nothing else.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

Would be interesting to hear Model A owners' innovative stories concerning their "unique" responses given to deputies and/or policemen who stopped them for not driving to a car show with their antique license plates; however, were driving to a post office with an antique license plate ....... like:

a. I had to charge my battery.

b. I had to circulate the newly added oil in my engine.

c. Just grease my wheel bearings so I had to drive to uniformly spread the wheel bearing grease.

d. Or whatever?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Would be interesting to hear Model A owners' innovative stories concerning their "unique" responses given to deputies and/or policemen who stopped them for not driving to a car show with their antique license plates; however, were driving to a post office with an antique license plate ....... like:

a. I had to charge my battery.

b. I had to circulate the newly added oil in my engine.

c. Just grease my wheel bearings so I had to drive to uniformly spread the wheel bearing grease.

d. Or whatever?

I've been pulled over driving my dad's '49 F-1 in town. The cop said he saw it out earlier in the week (which was true).

I told him (which was also true) I was going to NAPA to get a part for it. He told me that's not allowed.

I said, "Why? I need to make sure I'm getting the correct one. You can follow me there is you'd like."

Cop went back to his car and 10 minutes late came back and said go to NAPA and take it back home.

I was really in shock that he was busting my chops.

To this point, should one get a regular plate in a state like NJ to avoid these hassles or was it just an over zealous cop?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #10
Tim Ayers

Delete

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 03-27-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Hi Kevin, so how do they justify the legality of the mobile inspection stop if they don't care about anything but emissions at the inspection station? I was unaware of this new form of taxpayer ripoff. Then again charging you for an annual vehicle inspection in your annual registration renewal is another ripoff since the inspection process has been watered down to nothing of any importance. We continue to be fleeced by a system that is only motivated by it's own survival and nothing else.

Just because they do not inspect and fail the car at the inspection station does not take away from your responsibility to keep your car to state standards.

Our inspection system was privatized much to the profit of the company. It has screwed over the independent service places. The services stations needed to buy the special computer and put in special equipment. A lot of shops still have the rollers required for the first generation of inspection.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 PM   #12
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Hey Dick, thanks for the post but I don't really think wikipedia can be relied on for accuracy. You will note that it says all passenger vehicles are exempt from inspection in NJ as of 2010 and that is not true.
It certainly could be that Wikipedia is wrong, but....there are two paragraphs that apply. The first is for SAFETY INSPECTIONS under the heading...

Jurisdictions requiring periodic vehicle safety inspections

New Jersey—annually for commercial vehicles (including taxis, limousines, jitneys, and buses), effective January 1, 2010. Passenger vehicles are exempt from safety inspections, effective August 1, 2010.

The second is for EMISSIONS INSPECTIONS under the heading...

Jurisdictions requiring periodic vehicle emissions inspections

New Jersey—biennially. Effective January 1, 2010, commercial vehicles (including taxis, limousines, jitneys, and buses) are subject to an annual inspection. Effective August 1, 2010, new non-commercial vehicles are exempt for the first five years. Used non-commercial vehicles are also exempt for the first five model years, as indicated on the New Car Dealer inspection decal. Used non-commercial vehicles originally purchased outside of New Jersey will receive a decal valid for five years from the model year of the vehicle. Effective August 1, 2010, vehicles exempt from inspection include motorcycles, non-commercial diesel vehicles between 8,500 pounds (3,900 kg) and 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg) GVWR or older than model year 1997 and under 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg) GVWR, diesel trucks between 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg) and 18,000 pounds (8,200 kg) GVWR (subject to self-inspection), farm vehicles, collector vehicles, historic vehicles, trailers, and mopeds.[16] Effective May 2016, cars 1995 and older are no longer subject to emissions inspection

I think it says essentially the same thing you said in your first post. That is that in NJ only emissions are inspected and not even that for cars 1995 and older.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #13
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I've been pulled over driving my dad's '49 F-1 in town. The cop said he saw it out earlier in the week (which was true).

I told him (which was also true) I was going to NAPA to get a part for it. He told me that's not allowed.

I said, "Why? I need to make sure I'm getting the correct one. You can follow me there is you'd like."

Cop went back to his car and 10 minutes late came back and said go to NAPA and take it back home.

I was really in shock that he was busting my chops.

To this point, should one get a regular plate in a state like NJ to avoid these hassles or was it just an over zealous cop?
haha wow, I drive my chevette anywhere and everywhere with antique YOM plates on it.. never been hassled. Usually cops that see it or pass me on the highway I get a nod or a thumbs up from them :P
Old 03-28-2017, 05:19 AM   #14
RonC

Vehicle Inspections are nothing more than just a State tax. I think the federal law requirement was eliminated back in 1976.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:44 AM   #15
mhsprecher

In Maryland you only need to get your car, not including antiques, inspected when you buy it used. There is no annual inspection other than emissions. You can get stopped and cited for safety equipment reasons, the repair of which needs a certification of some sort. I have not been stopped for a safety equipment reason for decades, so I really don't know how that works any more. The District of Columbia recently did away with its periodic safety inspections. I assume that if there were major problems caused by poor maintenance and the like, we would have inspections, but we do not. I drive my antiques fairly often and have never been stopped.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #16
Terry, NJ

Jersey made huge progress with making the transportation ordeal much simpler. By contrast, Pa is mired in a antiquated system that doesn't just invite corruption, it ushers it in! Pa. hasn't gotten the word about computers and printers. No, all titles are issued out of Harrisburg and consequently They must be run to H-burg daily, For a Fee of course, and this perk Gig, whatever is dished out to the party faithful. NJ has the titles in the MVA and you walk out with it, no "Couriers" To Trenton! All back and forth is on the computer. The Inspection System depends on private garages charging anywhere from $25 up to God knows what, just to look at your car. We all know where that goes. The only time and place where I'll defend NJ is on the transportation system. We don't have many accidents because of Mechanical failure anymore, So NJ wisely changed the inspection cycle from the old one years to two years and saved considerable wait time. And! There is no reason to lift the car and remove the wheels and drums as in Pa. I really like Pa. except for it's backward motor vehicle system.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #17
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Jersey made huge progress with making the transportation ordeal much simpler. By contrast, Pa is mired in a antiquated system that doesn't just invite corruption, it ushers it in! Pa. hasn't gotten the word about computers and printers. No, all titles are issued out of Harrisburg and consequently They must be run to H-burg daily, For a Fee of course, and this perk Gig, whatever is dished out to the party faithful. NJ has the titles in the MVA and you walk out with it, no "Couriers" To Trenton! All back and forth is on the computer. The Inspection System depends on private garages charging anywhere from $25 up to God knows what, just to look at your car. We all know where that goes. The only time and place where I'll defend NJ is on the transportation system. We don't have many accidents because of Mechanical failure anymore, So NJ wisely changed the inspection cycle from the old one years to two years and saved considerable wait time. And! There is no reason to lift the car and remove the wheels and drums as in Pa. I really like Pa. except for it's backward motor vehicle system.
Terry
Or like majority of IL, there is no inspection of any kind. Sometimes I wish there was as ive seen some things that should be taken off the road with collapsed suspension, pieces barely hanging on, over half their lights out and or broken...

On the other hand im sure my s10 would fail bad so i dont want inspections haha.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #18
ronn

you got a jack arse cop................... they dont bother me here in Mt Laurel

keep your tank half full and next time tell him you are going to the station to fill up........

like to see his face then!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

And dont carry a gun in NJ...permits are basically non - exsistant

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 03-28-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #20
Mikeinnj

Leo,

Read the latest (attached) law from Motor Vehicle Services.

Vehicles 20 years old are exempt from emmissions testing

The reasoning behind the legislation that created the new exemption for passenger vehicles 20 years and older is that there are not that many vehicles of that vintage left on the roads.

The strong factor was that NJ legislators considered Obamas "cash for clunkers' program which took most vehicles of that age off the roads.

See below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DMV.jpg (46.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 03-28-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #21
Terry, NJ

It's worse than you know! I lived in Jackson, home of "Six Flags", Great Adventure. The would pick up about 1-2 dozen people who have legal CCW permits a year and arrest, charge and hold them. NJ Does Not Honor anyone's out of state CCW Permits. So if you're planning a trip to NJ or even G.A., leave you gun home. BTW, They pick them up in the metal detectors at the gate.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
And dont carry a gun in NJ...permits are basically non - exsistant
Old 03-29-2017, 06:37 AM   #22
Frank Miller

Got my 2005 Dodge truck inspected in MA and as the guy pulled it out of the inspection bay a brake line broke. I still had rear brakes and a mile to home so just drove it there and fixed it.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:03 AM   #23
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

in short, drive an antique and save money from state government bureaucracy !!! I'm all for it................. but then again, I like to think that I'm a responsible auto owner and driver.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 AM   #24
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
It's worse than you know! I lived in Jackson, home of "Six Flags", Great Adventure. The would pick up about 1-2 dozen people who have legal CCW permits a year and arrest, charge and hold them. NJ Does Not Honor anyone's out of state CCW Permits. So if you're planning a trip to NJ or even G.A., leave you gun home. BTW, They pick them up in the metal detectors at the gate.
Terry
Want to carry in any state without CCW permits....become a gangbanger!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #25
leo

How did my inspection thread get hijacked by right to carry folderol???
Old 03-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #26
ronn

leo,

think it's part of the "perks" of NJ.....................
Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 AM   #27
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Got me
Old 03-30-2017, 05:35 AM   #28
Frank Miller

Quote:
The topic got to regulations and then roadside inspections and then it reminded someone of something similar and away we goooo....
Old 03-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #29
BILL WILLIAMSON

COP: "Why are you drivin' 90 MPH?
90 YEAR OLD MAN: "My Wife disappeared 3 years ago, I thought you were bringin' her BACK"???
Bill W.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #30
holdover

In VA vehicles have to be inspected once a year, except if they have antique plates on them. The inspection covers brakes (even pull a rear drum), exhaust, lights , tires horn wipers etc. The cost is 16.00 and done by local garages licensed to do them. If you have Antique plates (50.00 one time charge) you have to keep your vehicle in safe driving condition and are subject to a check by the police. If you get in an accident and something is found defective, such as tires, you have a problem. I have never been stopped driving any of my A's, and in nice weather I drive them all over.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #31
Terry, NJ

I was expounding on the joys of living in NJ. I hated that place! So glad to get out!
Terry

Quote:
Old 03-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #32
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Lets not bring up the extrodinary high NJ property tax.... double what PA is
Old 03-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #33
ronn

I was expounding on the joys of living in NJ. I hated that place! So glad to get out!
Terry

I still havent been able to "escape".

tryng for 40 years now, but always come back............. sad.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #34
Chris in WNC

Tim Ayers, you just lucked into an overzealous cop.
Most of them have better things to do than hassle you like this.

I was stopped in a speed trap once in Jacksonville FL, driving our 37 Plymouth 50 in a 35 zone. The car was registered with a "horseless carriage" plate but I was displaying a restored '37 plate. The cop did not check my registration or insurance card, and just wrote the number of the '37 plate on the ticket. And because I was pleasant and cooperative he wrote me up for 9 mph over instead of the actual 15 mph- a much less expensive ticket..........
Old 03-31-2017, 01:53 PM   #35
1928Pickuppain

I never normally have a problem in Ma I've they actually seem to give me way more leeway with stuff I do like driving it around the block unregistered to during repairs. ( no problem) or not signaling or what ever I'm a typical mashole driver even in the a and seem to get away with murder driving it over been pulled over a few times just because the cop wanted to check out the car. Only one time was I actually pulled over for anything "real" and that was 20 min of my life I'll never get back explains that my truck only came from the factory with one tail light.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:42 PM   #36
v8fordman

In NC, you don't have to have a safety inspection and you can run YOM plates as long as a valid plate is in the vehicle with you.
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:53 PM   #37
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8fordman View Post
In NC, you don't have to have a safety inspection and you can run YOM plates as long as a valid plate is in the vehicle with you.
In PA the YOM plates are the registered legal plates.. it is listed on the registration card and they are permanent. No yearly registration fees...