Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
dave11

Default ignition switch repair

Have a 30 with intermitant ignition switch continuity issues. This is a non pop up style. The switch body is diecast, the back of the switch is crimped in place. Anyone had success removing and reinstalling the rear plate??

Dave Eddie
dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
dave11

Default Re: ignition switch repair

Don't know if my switch is OEM or not? on the back side stamped into the metal plate is USC ?

Dave
Old 03-22-2017, 10:58 PM   #3
Fred S

Dave,

I have what sounds like a similar switch. It has 2 tabs on the back holding an insulated piece. I was able to slightly bend the tabs, to get the insulated piece out. Inside was a bar, that made contact with 2 contacts when the key was turned. I was able to clean everything, stretch the spring that puts pressure on the bar, and reassemble. So far, so good, but I don't think the tabs will bend again without breaking.
Fred S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:40 PM   #4
Synchro909

I've had a similar issue with a modern aftermarket plain (non pop out) switch. I didn't bother trying to take it apart. I supposed that the problem was related to the fact that the back of it along with the two posts was loose. When I held the back onto the body of the switch, everything worked reliably so I mixed some epoxy putty and forced it into the gaps created by the looseness. I then clamped the back tighter onto the body, squeezing some of the putty out again and built up enough putty between the posts to hold it all together. Once it had set, all was good and there have been no issues since.
When on loooong tours with only my wife (up to 10,000 miles at a time), I carry a toggle switch like the one for the driving lights which could also serve as an ignition switch if need be. I chose a switch that is also able to stand in as a turn signal switch. One part, several uses - less spares to carry.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:39 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I've had a similar issue with a modern aftermarket plain (non pop out) switch. I didn't bother trying to take it apart. I supposed that the problem was related to the fact that the back of it along with the two posts was loose. When I held the back onto the body of the switch, everything worked reliably so I mixed some epoxy putty and forced it into the gaps created by the looseness. I then clamped the back tighter onto the body, squeezing some of the putty out again and built up enough putty between the posts to hold it all together. Once it had set, all was good and there have been no issues since.
When on loooong tours with only my wife (up to 10,000 miles at a time), I carry a toggle switch like the one for the driving lights which could also serve as an ignition switch if need be. I chose a switch that is also able to stand in as a turn signal switch. One part, several uses - less spares to carry.
Synchro,
If I were touring WAAAAY out in your OUTBACK, I'd tow a SPARE CAR---LOL
Bill Worry
Old 03-23-2017, 06:43 AM   #6
2manycars

I have a few of those old popout look alikes that do not pop out. My father's car came with one when he bought it in 1960. Perhaps western auto, or sears.
I use the modern popout look alike that Bratton's sells, which mounts from behind like the original, and looks like a popout from the front, but does not pop out. It has detents for on and off, and works very well.

https://www.brattons.com/ignition-sw...nal-cable.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16330_2_1_6-1.jpg (8.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
Hook

I took mine apart and found it loaded with grease. Cleaned out the grease and works great. It is a switch like 2manycars posted purchased from one of our good vendors. The replacement our ordered didn't show good continuity either, so I returned it and took apart the older one I had. I had to pry the crimp area out with a screwdriver. When I put it back together, I did like Syncro909 and held the switch tight with a clamp and put JB Weld on the back to hold it together.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
dave11

Haven't installed it yet but it seems to work fine. The issue was it had no continuity between the switch and the distributo./r The switch housing is a die cast type, in order to remove the back I have to grind the crimps off the housing (die cast will not bend). Not sure if this is an OEM switch or not but the insulation on the wire inside the wound metal sheath was Badly deteriorated, bare in a lot of spots. The wire contact at the coil contact end of the switch was corroded as well.
With a bit of prying I was able to remove both ends of the metal sheath and replace the wire. I had some new OEM looking wire with the braided insulation, not that any one will see it but I like originality when I can. Will install the distributor this weekend .

Dave eddie
Old 03-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
1955cj5

Hi Dave,

Is this the same type switch??? Sounds similar from your description..

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010817.JPG (198.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P1010819.JPG (161.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg P1010818.JPG (113.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by 1955cj5; 03-29-2017 at 01:27 PM.
1955cj5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
jfreddie

Stiener tractor sells that same sw for $12.
jfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote