Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
Beauford

Default Briggs Leatherback installed wood roof pics

Hey guys. I need to make sense of what I have. My roof is intact except for some rot on side bows above doors and around back window. I can not pay the price for those few pieces. My idea is to spray the rot with wood hardner, then fill rotted areas with wood putty that way I can shape if need be. looking at it seems I might be missing something for sides to get right contour when adding top. Pic to come shortly....
Beauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Briggs Leatherback installed wood roof pics

Sounds like a good plan to me.

About 10 years ago I visited an antique 3 level blacksmith shop in northern Iowa. When the owner died he willed it to the state as a museum and historical site. They weren't allowed to replace any of the rotted window frames. They had to use a strong wood filler to repair all the rot. Nothing was allowed to be remove nor added to the blacksmith shop. It had to remain exact as it was the last day it operated. A block east of the blacksmith shop is the old train depot, which is now used as a Welcome Center for Iowa. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area. Wish I could remember the name of the town.

Did a Google search and found it, Dows, Iowa. Here's the link.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...Dows_Iowa.html

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-21-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Beauford

Carpenter buddy turned me on to this wood hardner that stops the rot as well...gonna give it a shot
Old 03-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

I have used Minwax Wood Hardener on soft/rotted wood around the house and was impressed how it "restored" the wood strength. I never tried it on a car but there is no reason it should not work. I think your plan is a good one to at least try.

Let us know how it works out..
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I found the link and added it to my post above. Dows, Iowa is the town to visit.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
Big hammer

Check out Kwik Poly, a retired foreman of mine helped develop it. He used it on model T wooden spokes and other wood parts of T's. I made a handle of it for a large screw drive, it held up when I would hit it with a Big Hammer ��
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #7
Randy in ca

Link to Part 1 of a Leatherback restoration video:

-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNMsGx6Bhb0
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:23 AM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Check out Kwik Poly, a retired foreman of mine helped develop it. He used it on model T wooden spokes and other wood parts of T's. I made a handle of it for a large screw drive, it held up when I would hit it with a Big Hammer ��
I see Snyder's carries Kwik Poly. Sounds like good stuff for repairing wood. I will have to try some in the near future.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:57 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

My experience with using the wood hardener such as KwikPoly is they are only good for a short-time repair. If you think about what the body wood does, it must be flexible to allow the body to bend with the road conditions, and also remain pliable to hold fasteners such as nails & screws. After using it early on in my career, I now know to steer clear of using it because it will come back to haunt you after everything else has been restored (paint, upholstery, etc.)

As for using it on wheel spokes, that is the LAST place I would ever suggest to use it! Below is a couple of pix of my '15 that had old hard Oak spokes. When the brittle spokes finally give way, what you see below is a result. Spokes are not something to cut corners on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0935.JPG (112.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0936.JPG (122.9 KB, 111 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Wow Brent! I hope everyone was OK?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #11
Terry, NJ

I would rather try to reproduce the wood than mess around with some kind of dope. It may work on a stationary object like a house , Where replacing the wood is almost impossible. But can the bond take the vibrations and shocks ? You will have to make sure you're not anchoring to solid wood. If you are anchoring poorly, the bond will let go. Those pieces primarily are a long, gentle curve. About 6' or less. A walk in the woods should produce some good usable stock to work with.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #12
dean from bozeman

Brent, your two photos are worth more than a thousand words each. Thanks for posting them.

Beauford, you may want to check around to see if someone would make the wood pieces for a reasonable price. The time to replace these is when everything is open.

As a high schooler, I remade all the top wood for my '29 Tudor except for the header. I believe that if you ask around you might find a high school shop teacher who might like this as a project for his advanced students.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:41 AM   #13
Beauford

Dean...sounds like a plan with a school. Do they still offer these types of classes or maybe they could do it in 30 minutes with a 3-D printer??
Old 03-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #14
dean from bozeman

Our local high school offers wood working classes. They even go to competitions with the projects that they have made. This weekend they will be selling things that they made at Garagarama, a local event sponsored by the Optimist Club. The money earned this weekend will help pay for transportation to the next competition.

Don't know about having top bows made with a 3D printer. I realize that it could be done. I just don't know how functional they would be.

I'm with Terry/NJ. Just get some wood and try to form it yourself. It is a very forgiving medium. The pieces that you would need to recreate are flat and have slight curve.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote