Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
carguy01

Post help with 5.0 A.O.D. swap

I am putting a 5.0. in my 55 fairlane and I know other people have done this before, I have the energy suspension trans mount and I am wondering how
or where the mount was installed on the crossmember,because the mount is around 3 in. taller than the stock rubber one. I have already Installed a fat man frront clip on the car. Did anyone mount it to the top of the crossmember or make a plate to extend off the mount and make a piece to drop the mount to make it the original height. any help would be appreciated.
carguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Hivolt5.0

Default Re: help with 5.0 A.O.D. swap

Hey carguy, I've never installed a 5.0 in a 55 Ford but you may want to get one of those levels that show the driveline angle. Measure the angle on the rear end drive shaft yoke and then on the tranny tailshaft. I would think that would tell you weather you can use the trans mount as is or if you have to modify its mounting location.
Hivolt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
parklane

Go to the HAMB, and under the community banner, go to the 1952-59 section. Lots of guys on there that have done it, and they'll give you part #s for engine mounts etc. Good group.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
LOWRIDER

I'm with Highvolt5.0's suggestion with the driveline angle to figure out what mount you need. I installed a 5sp in my 57 & chased a driveline vibration due to the angle being off. Even if the mount will bolt up it could throw off the driveline angle. I ended up having to shim the rear axle because the pinion was angled down in relation to the rear of the trans.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
carguy01

thanks guys I already had that problem with my 39 plymouth coupe my question with the mount was not about it. if i use the energy suspension mount i have to move the crossmember and mount it upside down because of the height. but if I use the early mustang mount it will mount on top of the crossmember, but will have to be moved back, all I will do is cut it in the center and slice enough out of it to where it will fit back in the frame and weld it back together.what you want is a 3 degree down angle at the tailshaft. that is the ideal angle

Last edited by carguy01; 06-01-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added info
carguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy01 View Post
thanks guys I already had that problem with my 39 plymouth coupe my question with the mount was not about it. if i use the energy suspension mount i have to move the crossmember and mount it upside down because of the height. but if I use the early mustang mount it will mount on top of the crossmember, but will have to be moved back, all I will do is cut it in the center and slice enough out of it to where it will fit back in the frame and weld it back together.what you want is a 3 degree down angle at the tailshaft. that is the ideal angle
That's because the info at the first of the "FAQ sticky" in the 52-59 Group is wrong and I asked the original poster to fix it and replace the transmission mount with this which is correct:http://www.cjponyparts.com/prothane-...1973/p/TM1605/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote