Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2024, 02:52 PM   #1
Rombo

Default Seized motor/potentially overheated

Hi all,

I have a Canadian 1928 AA, that I picked up a few years ago. Last summer I was having and issue with overheating, which I tracked down to a failing radiator. I replaced the radiator and rebuilt the carb at the same time. All was running well and the overheating issue was now a distant memory.

Last fall I was out for a quick tour into town and had been having a small starter issue this day. An gentleman stopped me in town and wanted to chat about his model collection for what seemed like an eternity (probably actually 2-3 mins), normally I would have turned the truck off and chatted for quite some time, however worried it may not start again and with engine temps rising quickly I mentioned my starter issue and he totally understood, wished me luck and I was on my way.

Unfortunately I only got 10 seconds down road and she stalled out. I could not get it fired back up initially. After letting it cook down for about 30 mins she fired up and ran well on the 4-5 km ride home. All seemed well until I tried to go out again the next day.

Started up no problem and while letting it warm up the engine died abruptly and was very very hard to turn over.

I have pulled the started and plugs, taken off the fan belt to eliminate a seized generator or water pump from the equation, poured atf and kerosene down the cylinders yet motor is still very tight.

A new motor is not really in the budget for me.

I am looking for recommendations on next diagnostic steps? Pull pan? Check rod bearings one by one? Pull head?

Last edited by Rombo; 05-02-2024 at 04:12 PM.
Rombo is offline   Reply With Quote