Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
Lembomw

Default Update - New Guy - New Problem - Coolant Loss

After it stopped raining yesterday I went out to work on the car. I removed the fan belt, filled with coolant to the top of the neck of the radiator and ran the engine as suggested. After it got warm I increasing the rpm’s and did notice some bubbles coming up. Shut it down, pulled the distributor and re-torqued the head bolts while the engine was still warm. I got anywhere from a quarter to a half turn out of all the bolts. Started the engine again with no belt….no bubbles, put the belt back on and ran it, circulation but no bubbles. Looks like I had combustion gas getting in to the coolant system. I hope that was it because I do not really want to spend $600 on a new radiator.

I then took it for a long ride (8 or 9 miles this time) at mostly 50 -55 mph. Had no coolant at all gushing out from under the cap (didn’t do anything to the filler neck or cap – it still just keeps turning around and around). The water temp stayed in the normal driving temp range (I have a temp gauge installed), but it was not overheating before either. When I got back to the house I looked in the radiator and could not see coolant over the baffle. I put in 2 quarts of coolant to bring it up to the top of the filler neck. I know it is not suppose to be that high but just wanted to see how much I lost out of the overflow tube. From what I have read the radiator seeks it own level of coolant, but should I be able to see it even if it goes below the baffle??

I read posts where it is suggested that the overflow tube should be bent back toward the engine (mine points to the front) to slow down the fluid loss if the water pump is pushing the coolant faster than the radiator can take it. Is this a common practice? I looked at my tube and since it comes out of the baffle toward the back, in order to bend it back it will be too long to fit under the top of the filler neck. Should it be cut to fit? I am reluctant to do anything that I am unable to undo.

Another response suggested placing a nail in the drain to slow down the coolant draining out. Won’t this block all the coolant from going out or will the vibration that is created in just running the engine keep the nail jumping around so just a little will get out?

Looks like I may be getting to the bottom of this problem.

Mark
Lembomw is offline   Reply With Quote