Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
flathead 53

Unhappy 1953 customline steering wheel parts

I have a 1953 NOS customline steering wheel that I want to put on my 53 f-100, my problem is I dont know what other parts I will needd .I have the horn wire and the spring for under the steering wheel, but I dont know what else I need or even what the parts look like any pictures or info where to buy these parts would be a big help.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Jthepburn76

Default Re: 1953 customline steering wheel parts

Try Mac's Antique Auto Parts. I have a 53 Customline and I've been able to find almost everything I need from them.

http://macsautoparts.com/1949-1959-f...id/F50/ca/146/
Jthepburn76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1953 customline steering wheel parts

One of the suppliers should have pictures you can compare between parts but the column bowls, horn, & turn signal cancelling cams may be different. The truck & car chassis parts books for 1953 usually include the earlier vehicles back to 1948/49 so they may or may not have illustrations that will help. I've got one for the 53 car but my truck book is up to 55 so I don't know if it will have details for a 53 F100

PS: I looked at the illustrations in the chassis parts books and the bowls are a bit different. If the shafts have the same retention set up a person would have to try it on there & see if it will work. If the bowl is a different diameter it might look a bit odd or if the gap it too narrow or wide between the bowl & wheel, there might be a big gap or possible interference at that point. The car wheel should have a horn ring where the F100 would have a center cap horn push. Both have the horn wire going down the steering shaft & out the steering box end on the bottom.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-06-2012 at 04:01 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
flathead 53

Unhappy Re: 1953 customline steering wheel parts

I solved the problem, only part that I needed was proper horn wire from MACS, Pulled the old wheel off last night ,and guess what the new wheel is to thick can't even see the threads to put the nut on . Guess I will keep the original truck steering wheel on , now I'm stuck with an NOS 52/53 customline steering with horn ring and new horn wire .theres always e-bay.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote