Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
A-Man

Default Turn Signal Switch Woes

In my earlier 04-03-2016 posting, I included a wiring diagram for the wiring of a turn signal kit to my 1930 Ford Model A Deluxe coupe. As a result of response received, I have since installed the turn signal kit. The front and rear turn signal lights, as well as the brake/tail lights appear to be functioning properly.

However, I am experiencing the following problems with the two(2) green turning pilot lights and the one(1) red hazard pilot light on the attached UNITED PACIFIC 5700R Heavy Duty Turn Signal Switch (Note: I have an electrical kill switch, and all problems discussed are with the kill switch in the "ON" position):
1) The red hazard pilot light is very faint AND is lit at all times, except for when the turn signals are engaged.
2) The green turning pilot lights are barely lit.

I have replaced the bulb in the turn signal switch with a correct replacement provided by the vendor. I have the bulb socket directly grounded.

Has anyone installed the UNITED PACIFIC, Model 5700R, Heavy Duty Turn Signal Switch in their 6 volt Model A? If so, could you share your wiring diagram? I suspect a wiring issue, but I am not sure at this point.

Another issue I am dealing with is the installation of a turn signal alarm. I have gone with the TURN ALARM, Model 535 (6 volt). When installed, I have no pilot lights at all. However, when I replace it with the flasher that came with the Turn Signal Kit, I have very faint pilot lights.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Turn Signal Switch from UP.pdf (114.8 KB, 94 views)
A-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
JtownJoe

Default Re: Turn Signal Switch Woes

I have the same turn signal on my A and while the turn signals always worked as they should the pilot and indicator lights have never functioned correctly. After spending many hours checking and rechecking the wiring and connections I've just accepted that they aren't made that well.
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:24 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Be sure the switch housing is grounded. Take a wire and touch the clamp and a good ground and see what happens.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:32 AM   #4
A-Man

Thanks, Mike. This was the first thing I did and checked.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:35 AM   #5
A-Man

Isn't it frustrating? I am about to come to the same conclusion. Even considering removing the switch and replacing it with a different one. Thanks for you comment.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:37 AM   #6
JOHN CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Be sure the switch housing is grounded. Take a wire and touch the clamp and a good ground and see what happens.
I had the same problem as Mike V. Florida said ground the turn signal switch. For years I had the same problem no lights on the switch. One day I had to repair the single switch and bingo!!!
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I am anything but a Model A mechanic but my experience has been that 90 % of the time electrical problems relate to a bad ground. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
CarlG

Grounding the switch itself is only required if you want the pilot lights to function properly. My switch (Signalstat 900) came with instructions for making sure you get a good ground, which involved piercing the paint on the steering column.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:17 AM   #9
A-Man

I ran a ground wire from the bulb socket in the signal switch directly to the positive post of the battery, and still no success.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
Pilotdave

Hmmm - I have the same issue as well as a flash rate that's too fast. I ran a clip lead from the SignalStat housing to the + battery terminal. Didn't help with either problem.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #11
Dollar Bill

Is the T/S alarm in series with the switch indicator lights? If so, the load is shared and will cause the bulbs to dim.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
springerpete

Had a similar problem. Finally went to a GOOD radio store ( was advised where to go ) and bought a good switch. This is not a turn signal switch but a medium sized dpdt. Has worked well for 4 years. I made a steering column connector bracket and used a ss hose clamp all painted black. Looks good.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #13
l.e.d.man

A-Man, just noticed your thread. Call me at 866-327-5288 x 1158. We have many customers running this switch on 6 volt positive ground systems. The light bulb included with the 5007R switch is 12 volt, the main reason that it is not bright on the 6 volt system. We do carry the 6 volt bulb, but it can easily be found on-line, or try a model train store.

Also as other people have posted, the switch itself must be making good contact to the body of your car. Sometimes a separate ground wire is need to accomplish this, especially if a rubber strip was used under the clamp to avoid marring the paint on the steering column.

The indicator bulb is glowing when the switch is in the off position is due to the flasher. The "P" termial on a 535 flasher should have no voltage when not flashing. This is a common problem with many of the flashers on the market today. Call around and ask the retailer if theirs is made correctly. As I recall Vintique brand flashers are made correctly. David / UPI
l.e.d.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #14
CarlG

David / UPI Do you have an eMail address?? I have another question.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #15
Richard in WV

I had the same issue. I replace the flasher. Works good now!
Richard in WV is offline   Reply With Quote