Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
Brewsterbuff

Default 1941 Link Assy (steering drag)

1941 Station Wagon - Parts book shows two types of link assy: 11A 3306-B less end-bent design; Pass & Comm 1941
11Y 3306-A less end; Pass, Comm,122", Truck 1935-1941
This is the steering rod that goes from the steering arm on the steering box to the RH Spindle Assy
My wagon has the 11A 3306-B design. I have a parts wagon with the step bend at the spindle end.
QUESTION: Should these bars be straight or should they have a bow in them? The one on my car has been welded, but it is straight. I want to replace it but my replacements have a very pronounced bow. The one seemed to be a perfect match so I straightend the bow and now it is too long with no adjustment left. PHOTOS ATTACHED
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1840.jpg (43.1 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1841.jpg (53.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1843.jpg (67.9 KB, 183 views)
Brewsterbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
Torchie

Default Re: 1941 Link Assy (steering drag)

The drag link on my 41 car matches the one in your first picture. Stepped on one end and then bent/bowed with the adjustable tie rod end. And it is still adjustable.
Plus you will see from my pics that mine is attached with the tie rod end bolts facing down. This is the only way that it would fit and clear the wishbones.
The green bible shows this as the set up for 42-48 cars. They don't show a pic of the 41 set up. I believe that the 38-39 cars set up used the straight drag link. As well as the 38-41 commercial.
Hope this helps.
Torchie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0853.jpg (90.0 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0852.jpg (75.7 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0854.jpg (80.6 KB, 424 views)
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
42merc

Torchies' example is correct for '41 only passenger cars & wagons.
'42 to '48 drag links show a less severe bend at the spindle & are longer than a '41 link.
The tread width is wider on '42-'48 cars.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Another important point that all this brings to light........the spindles on a '41 are what most of us refer to as "round backs", like all '37-'41 spindles. The '41s even have the 78- prefix forged into them. But unlike the '37-'40 passenger-side spindles where the drag link is attached from the BOTTOM (hole in spindle is TAPERED from the bottom), the '41 passenger-side spindle it tapered from the top, to receive the drag link from the top, as pictured. My point is.......be aware of this any time you might be purchasing round back spindles, 'cuz I have two '41 round backs purchased at swap meets over the years that are no good to use on a '37-'40 with drag link on bottom. Just FWIW! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
Brewsterbuff

My passenger side spindle is tapered from the bottom, so the step type link won't work. However the step type link came from my parts car. Does this mean that the spindle on my good car has most likely been replaced and I need to take the spindle from the parts car, which has the taper from the top?

This car was hit in the DRIVERS front corner at some time prior to 1973, when I bought it. I figured not very hard because it still had all of the original sheet metal. However it did bend the front frame horns, which I have straightened. The frame was shifted over the axle which gives me less distance between the frame and the king pin on the passenger side, compared to the drivers side. I thought a broken spring bolt but that is OK. I think the sway bar may also be bent a little. Perhaps the spindle was changed at that time, but since the hit was on the drivers side at seems funny that the passenger side needed to be replaced. MY HOW LITTLE JOBS CAN BECOME SO INVOLVED, and all because we wanted to change the color from maroon to blue, and detail the engine compartment area.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #6
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsterbuff View Post
My passenger side spindle is tapered from the bottom, so the step type link won't work. However the step type link came from my parts car. Does this mean that the spindle on my good car has most likely been replaced and I need to take the spindle from the parts car, which has the taper from the top?

This car was hit in the DRIVERS front corner at some time prior to 1973, when I bought it. I figured not very hard because it still had all of the original sheet metal. However it did bend the front frame horns, which I have straightened. The frame was shifted over the axle which gives me less distance between the frame and the king pin on the passenger side, compared to the drivers side. I thought a broken spring bolt but that is OK. I think the sway bar may also be bent a little. Perhaps the spindle was changed at that time, but since the hit was on the drivers side at seems funny that the passenger side needed to be replaced. MY HOW LITTLE JOBS CAN BECOME SO INVOLVED, and all because we wanted to change the color from maroon to blue, and detail the engine compartment area.
Very possible that the spindle was changed. After all the cars is how old?
It had been a while since I took apart my front suspension and all the pics that I had of it were lost. So when I went to put it back together I scoured the internet as well as consulting the Green Bible in regards to the way that the drag link mounted.. I came across much conflicting info. The biggest problem is that like in other area the 41 is a stand alone model. But usually gets lumped in with the post war models as in "Will fit 41-48" Add to that the fact that supposedly the car frame is the same as the truck frame but uses a different drag link...... Oh Man! But as V8 coopman pointed out. Even though the spindles are the round back they aren't the same as the 37-40.
As I stated. This was the only way that the link would fit and clear the wishbones. That and I checked the taper on the steering arms as well.
And from my personal experience It's the so called "Little" jobs that are the worst.
Torchie
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
russcc

I reamed the tie rod attachment holes on the '40 spindles in the hot rod so the tapered end would go in the other way to clear the dropped axle. A standard procedure in the old days. The reamer was off the shelve from Wholesale Tool. Happy to lend it if needed. You may also want to call Ray Helgers in RI. He may have the right NOS drag link you need. Got a nice NOS '37 from him.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
Brewsterbuff

russcc, Can you send me the specs, and/or numbers, for that reamer. Sounds like the easiest way to fix the problem. I was getting ready to switch the spindle from the parts car but that becomes a lot of work. I really hate to borrow tools. Seems like I always do something to them and then need to get my own plus replace the borrowed one. Thanks, Don
Old 04-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
V8COOPMAN

I'm pretty sure that's a 7 degree taper, if that helps. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #10
42merc

Speedy Bill sells a 7 degree taper reamer.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote