Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Old Henry

Default Still driving at 91?

Late in today's car show this very nice looking 1935 Auburn Speedster pulls in next to me and the 91 year old driver gets out and comes over and sits by me to visit. (That's "Old Henry" beyond his car.)

As you can see in the picture, he's got his foot on the right end of the bumper that's bent way out in front. I asked him what that was all about and he explained that just as he was backing the car out of the garage to come to the show he turned his wheel to the left a little too soon, caught the bumper on the garage door frame, and pulled it way forward. I had to admit to him that I've lost a few right side mirrors that same way.

How do we decide when to stop driving or to get our parents to stop driving?

P.S. His very nice looking Auburn turned out to be a kit car.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
Graeme / New Zealand

Default Re: Still driving at 91?

Is that a real Mcoy or one of those Glenn Pray replicas? Seats don't quite look right

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
oldblue

My Dad's 90 this year and still driving . Every 2 years he gets a checkup (medical) then gets his license renewed then buys a new car and starts shopping for the next one . He still goes to all kinds of car shows but prefers new cars to drive on a daily basis .
Old 07-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
mrtexas

My dad turns 93 on Sept 23. Still driving and not only that collects for the Seattle area food bank 4 times a week. He loads up his Ford Ranger with food and delivers it to the food bank. BTW he can still fix a flathead as well or really advises me on how to fix them.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
felix37

I hope I'm still tearing up stuff at that age!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

My Mom was still driving at 95, played bridge 3 times a wk, bingo fri nites and church on sunday, senior center and the library. God Bless Her.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Torchie

Former father in law was a shakey 84 when he put his suburban into a river a few years ago. (Long Story). He was made to take a road test which he passed. Much to my disbelief as I would never get into a car with him. He is now 87 and no longer has a license to drive but when the last time came for him to renew he was still talking about taking the test. I think his wife talked him out of it.
I know that it is hard to give up that personal freedom. It will be different for each individual.
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
okiedokie

My Dad drove until he was 93. One day he forgot how to get to the bank he went to weekly and quit driving that day. My father in law, on the other hand, continued driving even though he had no business behind the wheel at 80. Drove by braille, bouncing off the curbs. Doctor finally forced it thank goodness.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
trulyvintage

Thumbs up Re: Still driving at 91?

I will raise you .....

How about a 93 plus year old still driving the car he got
from his Dad in 1935 .....

@ https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101198

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
Is that a real Mcoy or one of those Glenn Pray replicas? Seats don't quite look right

GB
I refer you to the fine print at the end of post #1.

He built this car from a kit 15 years ago (age 76). The kit is just the body. It has a conglomeration of frame, rear end, front end (Mustang II) modern engine and automatic transmissoin from other vehicles.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Ross F-1

A friend of mine's mother ran over and killed a motorcyclist when she was 60, didn't even know she'd done it. Then she T-boned a young couple at age 75 and killed them both. She was still driving at 80 and had a heart attack in the middle of an intersection, took out 4 other cars. Thankfully she died. None of her family had the huevos to take away her keys, several innocents dead as a result. As much as it hurts, you've got to do it when their skills are gone, at any age.

That said, my mother is still driving in heavy traffic at 87. She is remarkably aware of things, no accidents in 70 years. Excellent eyesight. But the time is coming...
Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
30A

Some people age more gracefully than others. My mom is a better driver at 81 than most who are much younger. Annual testing is probably the best way to insure age hasn't hampered one's ability to drive. Driving and texting is the bigger problem.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
TomT/Williamsburg

My Dad is 89 and has had his few "small" incidents - got him a new daily with backup camera, side camera, whatever else to help him out. I've also said no driving at night, which he's agreed (until he needs/wants to go somewhere at night).

I've told him that "I" will decide when he can still drive and then I'll take the keys. He's said he'll make new keys - I said I would take his tires, no problem. I just to not want him to hurt or kill someone or himself.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
40Ford!!

I know a gentleman who is 87 and Re-Built his own 35 Auburn Boat tail! He said the car is "retired" from competition as it has won all awards possible in its class. He finished a 57 Chevy last year HIMSELF! Oh he said he did not do the interior.... He drives a real shop truck around and has 5 or 6 other old cars. The man is a retired Tool & Die maker and has an amazing shop. I was just at his house and he was telling me he was trying to figure out how to sell parts on ebay. I told him to forget ebay and list on the HAMB or Ford Barn. He has Model T, Model A, Auburn and Chevy parts to sell. If I can get him and his wife up to speed you all should start seeing some interesting stuff in the classifieds. He is in Maryland. In answer to this thread question...let em drive as long as they are still medically able and sharp enough to be safe. I will post a few pics of his stable of cars soon.

Last edited by 40Ford!!; 07-22-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
40Ford!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Frank Miller

Even at 54 I notice some skills deteriorating. Eyes aren't as good, more difficult to turn my head, etc. Not that they keep me from driving I just need to remember and compensate a bit. I think all states should enact a law requiring drivers over a certain age to take a course on being old and driving. It might teach some valuable tools like figuring out how to not drive at night or take your sweet time driving ahead of me in my morning commute...
Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
Buford

I'm just about 77 and I notice that the older I get the faster I was!

Preparation H will not stop asteroids!
Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #17
ford38v8

Department of Famous Last Words:
My father's reaction time to traffic situations had become extremely slow by the time I was 17. Animated conversations led to my telling him that I was 10 times the driver he was. That was just two days before I broadsided a car while eyeballing a pretty girl on the sidewalk. I had four more stupid accidents before my father hung up his keys for good. Oh, yes, Dad had three accidents of his own, the last of which triggered a licence review by the DMV, which he passed handily to the dismay of family. Dad drove until a massive stroke took his driving priviledge away at an age younger than yours truly.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #18
Lawson Cox

Interesting thread. I am 81 and have found that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer to the end, the faster it goes.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:26 AM   #19
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
".... before I broadsided a car while eyeballing a pretty girl on the sidewalk."
Is that not a normal accident?

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
Is that not a normal accident?
Yeah, except I never took my eyes off her till she was out of sight behind me, at which point coincidentally, my bumper made deep passionate love to the other car!