Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
panhead_pete

Default Re: Love my dad...but I'm in over my head

No matter what you do you wont ever find him exactly the same truck. Its the thought that counts mate. Id be careful of dumping large amounts of cash into it though. Dont restore it as long term the unrestored ones are the best as they are only original once.

Please Please Plaese dont put it in primer unless you are painting it at the same time. Its worth more as it is and will look better. In Australia we have Lanolin based products which preserve patina which your truck seems to have. Will also stop any further rust.

As others have said keep it simple. Make it safe, particularly the brakes and steering

Thanks
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #22
peewee2you

blmoore001, Hang in there, the regret I'm having is I had a 51 F2 which is long bed 3/4 ton, and I loved it, but sold it to buy a house, what did I know. I changed it over to a 302 with c4 trans, flew like a rocket and never changed out the rear end, would do 80 on highway all day long. When I did this the block is lighter and the steering was much easier with the new general tires I had put on it. The fact that you went out and hunted down the truck for your father is all that matters to him in the end I'm sure of it, just make it as nice as you can, maybe not perfect for now, but so he can drive and enjoy it, and when the time comes and you get it back, you can now spend the time it needs on the fine details, in the mean time keep lookin and collect the parts and when you get it back, or during his use of it you can work on it, or after you get it. I recently lost my father 2 weeks ago, and we shared a lot of similar interest, my best friend in the whole world, and now I think of the things I wanted to do with him that we didn't get around too. He was 82 and lived a good life and because of him so have I. I managed to give him a 55 flatbed dullie when I was 26, and I'm 58 now, when I dorve to the house and handed him the keys, I believe I welled up more than he did, because I did it for him, he used the pixx out of the ol flatbed, and I finally had to tell him if you need to sell, do what you have to do, it served it's purpose for 14yrs that he had it, 6v system, drove him nuts u know positive ground. We even have the same name. RIP... don't fret, don't wait. Peter
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #23
30A

It's a special thing you are doing for your Dad. Ditto on repairing what's needed and have some fun with it. Painted surfaces with patina have a lot more character than a new paint job.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 AM   #24
BobbyG

I am going to echo what the others say - don't paint it - what you have there has taken 50 plus years to create ! and it is how your old Dads maroon truck would look today.

What you are doing is great - BUT you need to find someone local to help you along - take Dad out to some car meetings and get talking to people you will find someone to help you along.

But remember what you have done there is brilliant - well done.

keep us posted on your progress and we LOVE pictures.

Don't paint it !!
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #25
trulyvintage

Thumbs up Re: Love my dad...but I'm in over my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blmoore01 View Post
I hope that I've uploaded a picture of the truck. It's blue right now but I'm hoping to at least get it to primer...if I have enough $$ left over, we'll go ahead and paint it maroon. That was the color of my dad's old truck. But if I run out of cash, he can pay to have it painted.

Please do not paint that truck ......

If you have any money leftover - lightly sand and clear coat the finish.

By the way - good job !

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #26
alan

use matte clear coat--still looks like the dull paint but is protected from further paint loss. We are going to do this to my 1941 ex-army, ex-BIA firetruck so we can keep the door lettering and the army numbers on the hood, a lot of its history. Keep us informed on what is happening and if you need some questions answered, you know where to come!!
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #27
Mike in Mass

This is a great thing you are doing for your dad an you don,t need me,or anybody else to tell you that . it comes from the heart . that ol Ford has a heart too . I think your dad an this truck were allready made for each other awsum job on your part ! this is what the fordbarn is all about . make sure you get a photo of him when you pull it in the drivway an hand him the keys. its hard to explain the feeling of a new "OLD" truck coming into your life,,,,Oh I know ! PRICELESS ! ! ! MP

Last edited by Mike in Mass; 07-18-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote